Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/12/2019, 10:50 AM   #1
LucidGoblin
Registered Member

Aiptasia X, Peppermint Shrimp, and BTAs

(This post is in two parts. I'll be brief as I can.)
Aiptasia X didn't work, followed directions, they came back in greater numbers after a week. Has anyone else had this experience?
I want to try peppermint shrimp, but my buddy swore he saw one eating a hole in the side of his BTA. Has anyone else seen this happen? (I'm thinking the nem had a wound to begin with.)

LucidGoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2019, 02:51 PM   #2
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I've never seen peppermint shrimp attack large anemones beyond stealing their food.
But host anemones like BTAs can easily be protected by adding an anemonefish or anemone crab.

I'm kind of doubtful if peppermint shrimp can and will eradicate Aptasia in every infested system. For me they worked well eliminating all Aptasia in one system but were less effective in another.
However, if they go after Aptasia (not all shrimp sold as peppermints actually do) they will usually make them at a minimum disappear from sight and also stop them from doing harm to other inverts and corals. If they also eradicated them is something you will only know a good while after the last shrimp had left the tank.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2019, 03:58 PM   #3
wwanthony
Premium Member

Get a Matted File Fish.

wwanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2019, 05:12 PM   #4
LucidGoblin
Registered Member

LiveAquaria says Matted File Fish will eat aiptasia, but "normally nips at soft and stony corals." They also recommend a rather heavy feeding regimen. But thanks for the replies. I just remembered that there's a way to kill aiptasia using boiled vinegar or lemon juice.

LucidGoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/12/2019, 05:43 PM   #5
mnchartier
Registered Member

berghia nudibranch, only eat Aptasia and wont go after anything after the Aptasia are gone. I had a pretty big out break 2 years ago. Add 10 (IRC) berghia to my 150g, all gone within 4 months. Was able to pass the berghia that I could catch to other people in my local club. Haven't seen any since

Current Tank Info: DD150
mnchartier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2019, 06:51 PM   #6
wwanthony
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidGoblin View Post
LiveAquaria says Matted File Fish will eat aiptasia, but "normally nips at soft and stony corals." They also recommend a rather heavy feeding regimen. But thanks for the replies. I just remembered that there's a way to kill aiptasia using boiled vinegar or lemon juice.
I have had no problem. I had a very bad infestation and it took care of it over time. Have not seen a one in the display (even when they show up in the Fuge) for over 8 months. It is still in the tank searching all day, probably eats every little morsel that tries to grow. Eats the same food as the rest of the fish also. I have a Copperband also. Both fish came from LiveAquaria.

Corals are no touched. I only have Acros and Zoos......

wwanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2019, 07:55 AM   #7
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

I have not seen Aptasia X not kill the nem.
No flow, good squirt, wait 15 mins, turn back flow.
Interesting

Peps will work, but I don’t use as they can sometimes take out Acans overtime

Last edited by Uncle99; 08/15/2019 at 08:00 AM.
Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote