Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/14/2014, 10:26 PM   #1
Jaffy
Registered Member

Reef stocking help - which order?

215 gal. Fowlr first - then eventually reef. Tank is 100 percent ready for livestock. As you can see there are many caves and crevices. First order of business; I would like to know which order would be best. Here is my list.
2) ocellaris clownfish
5) blue green chromis
1) diamond watchman goby
1) bicolor blenny
1) foxface rabbit fish
1) yellow tang
2) cleaner shrimp

.....I am going for hardy fish known for peaceful temperaments. Put this list together carefully upon hours of reading about fish behaviors and temperaments; though I am fully aware that doesn't always mean a thing.

Any help would be appreciated, my quarantine tank is up and ready to start housing. Thanks all!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (42.5 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Jaffy; 07/14/2014 at 10:37 PM.
Jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/14/2014, 10:30 PM   #2
thegrun
Registered Member

I would start with the 5 blue green chromis, diamond watchman goby and the cleaner shrimp, then the bicolor blenny and the foxface rabbit fish, lastly the yellow tang

thegrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2014, 07:51 AM   #3
Jaffy
Registered Member

Thank you. That is close to what I was thinking, except I was told to add the fox face last after the tang, though I don't see it making much of a difference.

Not sure when
To add a pair of clowns?

Unread 07/15/2014, 07:56 AM   #4
discocarp
Registered Member

I'd do the tang either after the foxface or at the same time. Foxfaces aren't very aggressive, yellow tangs can be (but aren't always).

Basically, I think thegrun's order is great. I'd add the clowns whenever (probably the middle). Oscellaris are neither aggressive nor pushovers (with some exceptions).

discocarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2014, 07:59 AM   #5
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I'd be inclined to think it doesn't matter all that much. Although I have never kept a fox face, the others have all been regular inhabitants in my tanks and have been introduced in varying order. The opportunity to introduce fish in a particular order only really works once, as you are first stocking the tank; after which you are at the whim of availability, inconvenient fish deaths, etc.; all conspiring to throw a carefully planned introduction order to the wind. Acclimate, QT and introduce properly and most combinations work.

BTW, how are you maintaining the bio filter in the absence of fish? Assuming the tank is cycled, you may want to consider adding a CUC.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/15/2014, 08:45 AM   #6
Jaffy
Registered Member

I've got a pretty major cleanup crew going on in the tank right now, have had them in the tank for about six months lol. I started the build of this tank
Over a year ago. Went through all of the algae blooms,
Etc. Added my filtration and sumps and power heads, skimmer and new lighting all over the course of the past year. Took my time. Coraline is all over the tank, parameters are in check, and CUC is doing great. Took sample to my LFS and they tested params so I could get a second opinion and they said it seems time to start adding.

About 160pds-170 of LR.

Unread 08/03/2014, 04:27 PM   #7
Jaffy
Registered Member

Well it will be three weeks with my chromis in the 13 gallon Qt tank (purchased 3 for the moment) and they are doing well, eating daily either tetra marine flake or new life spectrum Thera A+. They are aggressive eaters, two stay together at night while the other tends to sleep away from the pair. Once I hit week four they will be introduced to my display.

Up next I am thinking of doing the QT tank with some reef sand and a watchman goby/banded shrimp pair. Any info on how to properly QT the two? Feeding, etc? I wanted to add two fish in the qt, something peaceful that would get along with the goby and shrimp, any suggestions?

Unread 08/03/2014, 04:42 PM   #8
Bernie21
Registered Member

Foxfaces are very skidish and not very aggressive, so Id make sure to add it before the tang. Other than that you should be fine, but my order would be:

1) cleaner shrimp
1) diamond watchman goby
2) foxface rabbit fish
2) blue green chromis
3) ocellaris clownfish
4) bicolor blenny
5) yellow tang

Also w a 215, Im pretty sure youre going to want more fish than that, so it might be a good idea to make a list so you can add them accordingly as well.

Current Tank Info: Downgraded to a 0 Gal non Mixed Reef - Direct sun watts & 1x moon Actinics. RIO 00 return, no skimmer Skimmer.
Bernie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/03/2014, 07:22 PM   #9
Jaffy
Registered Member

Thanks Bernie - I will be adding more than my initial list, over time of course.

Can I QT the goby and the banded shrimp together? I have heard some people use two gobies in a pair both watching a banded shrimp, that would be ideal. QT all three together, any thoughts?

Unread 08/04/2014, 06:28 AM   #10
shesacharmer
Registered Member

I recommend you get your Rabbitfish quite small. They are so darn nervous; it takes a long time for them to settle in so best add it early on.

Current Tank Info: A work in progress...
shesacharmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clown, fowlr, goby, stock, tang