Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/23/2017, 08:05 AM   #1
JimON
Registered Member

Hole size for frag plugs?

This weekend I am going to start work on the aquascape, and I want to predrill a mess of holes for future plugs. What size hole do I drill? Also, best spacing? TIA!!

JimON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2017, 08:16 AM   #2
Valentini89
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimON View Post
This weekend I am going to start work on the aquascape, and I want to predrill a mess of holes for future plugs. What size hole do I drill? Also, best spacing? TIA!!
Depends on what size plugs you are putting in, and the spacing is up to you but I wouldn't drill them too close.

Current Tank Info: 26g bowfront QT tank, -- 150g tall = http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2671045
Valentini89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2017, 08:23 AM   #3
JimON
Registered Member

OK, thank you. What is the range of size of plugs? What is too close? Hard numbers please?

Unread 06/23/2017, 09:11 AM   #4
AlSimmons
Registered Member

3/8" maybe?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/oceans...s-25-pack.html

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/23/2017, 09:33 AM   #5
JimON
Registered Member

Thank you, Al. Exactly what I was looking for.

Unread 06/23/2017, 09:53 AM   #6
AlSimmons
Registered Member

Unread 06/23/2017, 11:39 AM   #7
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

I drilled 3/8" holes all over my live rock before I did the last rockscape. My frag plugs fit just fine. But I've picked up frags from several other places recently and they are all just a tiny bit too big to fit in the 3/8" hole. My plugs still fit OK.If I were doing it again, I'd go just a bit bigger.

Good luck. IMHO this is an excellent idea, especially if you are going to be getting corals as frags. And although Al says not to make them too close together, I say why not? With lots of holes you have lots of options. And you don't have to fill every hole. In fact, after only a month, if you didn't know where to look in my tank, you'd be hard pressed to find more than a couple of holes. They 'blend in' very quickly in a mature tank. It will probably take longer in a very new set up.

Unread 06/23/2017, 11:45 AM   #8
JimON
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post
I drilled 3/8" holes all over my live rock before I did the last rockscape. My frag plugs fit just fine. But I've picked up frags from several other places recently and they are all just a tiny bit too big to fit in the 3/8" hole. My plugs still fit OK.If I were doing it again, I'd go just a bit bigger.

Good luck. IMHO this is an excellent idea, especially if you are going to be getting corals as frags. And although Al says not to make them too close together, I say why not? With lots of holes you have lots of options. And you don't have to fill every hole. In fact, after only a month, if you didn't know where to look in my tank, you'd be hard pressed to find more than a couple of holes. They 'blend in' very quickly in a mature tank. It will probably take longer in a very new set up.
Hi Ron, thanks a bunch! So if you were to do it over again, you would make them say 7/16"? It was my thinking, too, that a bunch of holes may or may not be used, but it is easier to drill 'em dry!. Besides, nothing wrong with more surface area for bacteria! Thanks again.

Unread 06/23/2017, 02:53 PM   #9
Ron Reefman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimON View Post
Hi Ron, thanks a bunch! So if you were to do it over again, you would make them say 7/16"? It was my thinking, too, that a bunch of holes may or may not be used, but it is easier to drill 'em dry!. Besides, nothing wrong with more surface area for bacteria! Thanks again.
Exactly! I don't know why I've never heard of anybody doing it before! It works great. And you can even more corals around if they need a change in light or flow.

Now one the frags start to get big and encrust off the frag plug, it's not much help. But in new tanks, I think it should be something new reefers should be considering.

Unread 06/23/2017, 03:26 PM   #10
JimON
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reefman View Post

Now one the frags start to get big and encrust off the frag plug
The goal of this whole thing!!! Thanks Ron!

Unread 06/24/2017, 09:16 AM   #11
AlSimmons
Registered Member

Personally I would just cut the stems off the frag plugs and then glue the disks somewhere on the rocks instead. A little epoxy can be used in the gaps for a smooth transition if need be. Drilling a bunch of holes just sounds like more trouble than it's worth IMO. (also unsightly) Just something to think about.

Unread 06/24/2017, 10:33 AM   #12
JimON
Registered Member

Too late! This morning I cut eggcrate to fit the tank and overflow, then spent a couple hours fooling around with different stacks of rock. Once I had the scape that looked right, I drilled away. I am using Marco rocks, and the holes that are in the rock already provide a great guide to just widen them out a bit to ensure a plug will fit. You really can't see them, and it took WAY longer to get the stacks right than to drill. Well worth the time, me thinks, even if I don't use all the holes. Here is a pic.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170624_082429 (1).jpg (48.1 KB, 33 views)