Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Other Invertebrates
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/20/2017, 02:13 PM   #1
nczipp
Registered Member

Yasha Goby and Green Pistol Shrimp?

A while ago I got a Yasha goby and Randall's Pistol Shrimp pair. The Pistol shrimp ended up dying not too long after i got him home. Today, I got a green Pistol shrimp to pair with the goby. Will they pair? I'm really concerned because the shrimp is 4x the size of the old shrimp. He has already popped at the goby twice and it even looks like her mouth got slightly messed up.

Should I be concerned? Will they pair?
Any help would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nczipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2017, 06:04 AM   #2
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

It may take some time but they should eventually pair up.

The only thing to fear is fear itself....and spiders.
Sugar Magnolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/21/2017, 01:11 PM   #3
nczipp
Registered Member

Good to know. Our goby looks a lot better today and acts normal. The shrimp is so much louder than the ones I've seen in the past. Frankly, he scares the sh*t out of me! Today I had to fish out a small xenia that had fallen by the opening and I was too scared to stick my hand down there so I had to use tweezers to grab the base.

Unread 06/22/2017, 11:51 AM   #4
Bongo Shrimp
P. ceratophthalma

I don't think "green pistol shrimp" is descriptive enough to conclude that this shrimp will pair with the goby since not all pistol shrimp for relationships with fish. Can you get a pic of the shrimp?

Unread 06/22/2017, 12:03 PM   #5
nczipp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Shrimp View Post
I don't think "green pistol shrimp" is descriptive enough to conclude that this shrimp will pair with the goby since not all pistol shrimp for relationships with fish. Can you get a pic of the shrimp?

That's what they called him in the store. Here's a pic
You can see in the pic that he's not under a rock like he was yesterday which I find strange. You can also see the goby in the background. She's acting like she wants to go over to him but is hesitant.

Unread 06/23/2017, 06:51 AM   #6
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Yes, green pistol shrimp is the common name and they do have a symbiotic relationship with shrimp gobies. https://aquariumdepot.com/green-pist...us-euphrosyne/

Unread 06/23/2017, 08:45 PM   #7
Bongo Shrimp
P. ceratophthalma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia View Post
Yes, green pistol shrimp is the common name and they do have a symbiotic relationship with shrimp gobies. https://aquariumdepot.com/green-pist...us-euphrosyne/
This is incorrect, they do not form symbiotic relationships with fish. I would not use aquarium depot as a source for reliable information.

See page 235 and 240 of this article:
https://australianmuseum.net.au/uplo...4_complete.pdf

Unread 06/24/2017, 12:02 AM   #8
gogo7
pico reefer

yeah i agree with bongo.
not all alpheus are symbiotic
i wanted to say something but didn't have a resource, thanks bongo... something new to read.

gogo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2017, 10:25 AM   #9
nczipp
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Shrimp View Post
This is incorrect, they do not form symbiotic relationships with fish. I would not use aquarium depot as a source for reliable information.

See page 235 and 240 of this article:

https://australianmuseum.net.au/uplo...4_complete.pdf

Wow, that's insane. I wish these places would tell you the truth or at least be knowledgeable enough to know it.
I didn't quite understand the article, but I did more research; even though it's pretty conflicting, most places say it's not good for pairing. One site even said that it will kill gobies on occasion if given the chance whether or not that's true, I'd rather get rid of him than lose my goby, especially since the goby is far more expensive!
I guess I will have to do more research in the future, it just seems like you ought to be able to trust the people that are selling them! Plus they rarely have Pistol shrimp in so I wanted to get it while they had them.
I'll get him out of the tank (hopefully) today. Although, I'm not even sure he's alive. I haven't heard him snap since the other night and there are no noticeable new piles of sand or holes. I'll have to lift a few rocks up and see.
Thank you for the help!

Unread 06/24/2017, 02:28 PM   #10
Sugar Magnolia
Registered Member

Thanks for clearing that up Bongo, I learned something new.

nczipp, if you still want a pistol to pair with your goby you might consider a tiger pistol. They're about the size of your green pistol. Just be prepared for it to move massive amounts of sand and rubble. I got one for my yasha after I lost my Randall's pistol. Some folks say they've lost livestock to their tiger pistol but mine was a model citizen if you don't mind the occasional sand storm.

Unread 06/24/2017, 02:35 PM   #11
nczipp
Registered Member

If I get another, I would choose a Randall's. I've I had 2 in the past, one that came with the yasha and one that I got about a year ago that I tried to pair with a watchman but didn't succeed because the goby was an a**hole. We eventually got rid the goby and the shrimp happily hid in the rocks until we had a breakout of red slime and everything in the tank died (except the corals). We never found him and always had a small spark of hope whenever we heard something that sounded like him snapping, but it's been several months so I'm sure he's gone

Unread 06/25/2017, 06:27 PM   #12
Bongo Shrimp
P. ceratophthalma

You guys are welcome. Adrienne, I've learned much more from you than you have from me so this is me starting to pay you back .

Unread 06/25/2017, 06:30 PM   #13
nczipp
Registered Member

Update: I found a piece of molt and both of his claws today. I also lifted some rocks and couldn't find him. So if he is somehow still alive, he won't be doing any damage for a while lol