Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/30/2014, 09:00 PM   #51
BrettH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttley000 View Post
Nice system and place! Interesting thoughts on the bio pellets. Anxious to see things come back together.
Thanks. I can't wait too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTour View Post
Good to see you're giving it a second chance. I had an internal house flood that almost did me in.

For that float switch you built for the main display...be careful of the salt creep from where that's sitting - don't want you to gain overconfidence on something that may not turn off because of it. You may want to get one of those small snail jars to protect it some.
I can never give up! The tank is designed into our home and removing is not an option! Plus I've been at this hobby for long enough to know sometimes things just don't go as planned. I tried a new approach and it really didn't work for me. So back to what I know. But I learned something, I think?

As for the switch, I hear you, you can never have enough redundancy. I'll probably also add Neptune's water floor sensor or at some point since I have an Apex. But I would need both the float switch in my sump and at the tank to fail before I had a flood (knocking on wood as I type). The low water sump switch is designed to turn off just before my tank overflows (which also turns off the ATO).

Current Tank Info: Custom 240 starphire peninsula tank, 60 gal sump, BK 200 Super Marin, GEO 818 w/ AP electronic regulator, Radions, Apex controller. 40 gallon fuge, 40 gallon QT with 20 gallon sump

Last edited by BrettH; 11/30/2014 at 09:18 PM.
BrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/30/2014, 09:14 PM   #52
BrettH
Registered Member

So which Live rock?

This time around I am going to use live rock, not pukani. This is another change that I think will be for the better.

So I am debating using uncured live rock i.e. TBS live rock, getting Bali live rock direct via aquatic tech, or buying Aquatic tech's cured Bali rock.

The only reason I don't want to use TBS live rock is because of all the future die off that will just add a ton nutrients to the system. Plus I also have to deal with unwanted hitch hikers (less of a problem, but still a minor headache).

With that said, I think I am leaning towards Aquatic Tech's cured bali LR. Here are some shots Greg sent me. What do you guys think?

Slab
premium1.jpg

Branch
premium2.jpg

Base
premium3.jpg

Current Tank Info: Custom 240 starphire peninsula tank, 60 gal sump, BK 200 Super Marin, GEO 818 w/ AP electronic regulator, Radions, Apex controller. 40 gallon fuge, 40 gallon QT with 20 gallon sump
Unread 11/30/2014, 09:53 PM   #53
dave.m
Registered Member

I wouldn't put any kind of live rock into the display tank without quarantining it for at least four weeks, just like with inverts and fish. What shape of rock is entirely personal taste. For me, I would only use the base rock of what you have shown.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/01/2014, 08:29 PM   #54
BrettH
Registered Member

Hi Dave...that used to be my practice, particularly if it has not been cured, but....

Since the rock I will be getting has been "pre-cured" and there should be minimal die off at this point, the only thing quarantining the will achieve is potentially identify some unwanted hitch hikers. I could experience a small cycle, but right now none of my corals or fish are in my main system, they are all in my quarantine system.

Let's assume the live rock comes in with AEFW, quarantining will not do anything for those suckers and I am not going to soak my live rock in Bayer. What about red bugs? Unlikely they come with the live rock, but I could hit the rock with interceptor, which I am not going to do because I don't want kill off all the micro fauna etc.

How about mantis shrimp? Regardless if I catch him in the quarantine system or my tank, he/she still needs to be caught.

They way I see it, the only reason to quarantine (Or cure the rock again) is because it could cycle. If the rock was coming directly from the ocean to my tank (aka TBS Live rock) then curing the rock really makes sense to me.

Any other reasons to quarantine/cure the rock again that I am missing?

Unread 12/02/2014, 12:29 AM   #55
dave.m
Registered Member

Bugs won't survive without a food source. That's what quarantining for several weeks can do for you.

And yes, you need to catch as many nasties in your live rock as you can, which a small, shallow quarantine tank (e.g. cheapo plastic kiddies' wading pool) lets you do much more easily than waiting for them to get into your display tank. Mantis shrimp are one possibility, but you are much more likely to encounter juvenile crabs of all sorts who will really do some damage as they grow.

Dave.M

Current Tank Info: None. Nil. Zip. Nada.
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/02/2014, 07:54 PM   #56
BrettH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
Bugs won't survive without a food source. That's what quarantining for several weeks can do for you.
Agreed...but in the main display they will starve too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
And yes, you need to catch as many nasties in your live rock as you can, which a small, shallow quarantine tank (e.g. cheapo plastic kiddies' wading pool) lets you do much more easily than waiting for them to get into your display tank. Mantis shrimp are one possibility, but you are much more likely to encounter juvenile crabs of all sorts who will really do some damage as they grow.

Dave.M
Yup, you are correct, but the rock I am getting will already have been cured for 2 months or more, so hopefully those PIA crabs and mantis are gone!

Unread 12/02/2014, 09:06 PM   #57
CrookedStick
Moved On

Brett,
I love your stand!

CrookedStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/03/2014, 06:34 AM   #58
BrettH
Registered Member

So bummed this AM....

I went down stairs to check on the fish in the quarantine system and my blue spotted jaw fish (which I have had for 2 years) found a way out. I netted everything, not sure how he got out. He was awesome!

He constantly tested the system. Nightly we used to watch him try and jump from my main display.

Unread 12/03/2014, 06:39 AM   #59
BrettH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedStick View Post
Brett,
I love your stand!
Thanks!

I guess I should also mention the mahogany shelf that wraps around the base of the tank was designed just large enough to hold a beer, wine glass or bourbon...a very important design feature!

Unread 12/03/2014, 03:31 PM   #60
zachhll
Registered Member

I know it hasn't been long but any update on the Pukani leaching PO4. I had that in my last tank but had the same issue. I ran way too much GFO and still had issues keeping PO4 down. This time around I ran Real Reef Rock and haven't had a single issue with PO4. Plus I didn't have to wait for coraline to grow.

zachhll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2014, 04:58 AM   #61
BrettH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachhll View Post
I know it hasn't been long but any update on the Pukani leaching PO4. I had that in my last tank but had the same issue. I ran way too much GFO and still had issues keeping PO4 down. This time around I ran Real Reef Rock and haven't had a single issue with PO4. Plus I didn't have to wait for coraline to grow.
It seems to be leaching PO4. I dose Phos free which drops it back down and then it comes back up after a few days. I am measuring with a Hanna ULR (736) and am keeping track of the numbers but don't have them right now.

I am glad to hear that Real Reef Rock is working out for you. I was going to go that route, but I decided to buy live rock from Aquatic tech that has been "curing" for more than 2 months and they are picking me only pieces that are 100% coraline encrusted. They have been great to work with, very helpful!

Unread 12/15/2014, 08:14 AM   #62
BrettH
Registered Member

Aquatic Tech Bali Live Rock

Live rock from http://www.aquatictech.com/
Greg was great, he picked the rock and then sent me some pictures. It is some of the nicest live rock I have seen in a long time. It's almost as good as the stuff we got back in the earlier days from Fiji. I am happy to discuss why I choose this route over TBS (TBS looks like amazing rock too!!)

THIS PIECE IS HUGE. The picture doesn't do it justice.

Sorry about the DOF...

A smaller piece sorry about the focus. I was in a hurry to get this stuff into the tank. Only took a few shots.

Unread 12/15/2014, 02:11 PM   #63
woodnaquanut
Registered Member

Wow, what a beautiful tank and location. It's even beautiful with just sand in.

Looks like you are not QTing the rock. That would be my preference too. This way it will be easier to see if there are any bad hitchhikers.
---sitting at bar (shelf) w/ bourbon in hand 'hunting' for baddies---

Last edited by woodnaquanut; 12/15/2014 at 02:21 PM.
woodnaquanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2014, 02:20 PM   #64
EddieC
Registered Member

Amazing build and attention to detail.

EddieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/15/2014, 07:05 PM   #65
BrettH
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnaquanut View Post
Wow, what a beautiful tank and location. It's even beautiful with just sand in.

Looks like you are not QTing the rock. That would be my preference too. This way it will be easier to see if there are any bad hitchhikers.
---sitting at bar (shelf) w/ bourbon in hand 'hunting' for baddies---
Nope, not QT'ing the rock. Drop and watch! Greg at Aquatic Tech already had the rock for a couple months, so most the nasties/die off has already taken place. It's in my tank now and ammonia/nitrite is 0.

By the way, I want your job -- "VP of Wine Country Reefers"

Thanks for the compliments.

Unread 12/15/2014, 07:06 PM   #66
BrettH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieC View Post
Amazing build and attention to detail.
Thanks!

Unread 12/15/2014, 07:17 PM   #67
BrettH
Registered Member

Clean up crew

So I need to get a clean up crew and I just can't decide what to get...

Last time I and a to of dwarf ceriths, but they can be a PIA and they look like black ants all over the tank, not all the attractive. Probably going to get a bunch of regular ceriths, nerites and a couple strombus a. (fighting conch) and scarlet/blue legged hermits. I already have a couple cucumbers.

Any other thoughts on some good "new tank" clean up characters to consider? Tank is cycled.

Unread 12/16/2014, 12:27 AM   #68
woodnaquanut
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettH View Post
By the way, I want your job -- "VP of Wine Country Reefers"
All you need to do is switch coasts and the job is yours! Warning, pay isn't that great!

Looking forward to see your progress on this tank.

Unread 12/18/2014, 07:20 AM   #69
BrettH
Registered Member

Smile Rock in the Tank..

Alright, we got rock in the tank!

I threw my flash on the old DIV to try and get some natural shots. Basically I just played around with the flash exposure -- full stop to 1/3 stop.

The sand has been in the tank for about 5 weeks...and I did have the lights on because I wanted to make sure there were no signs of cyano. I am seeing the typical new tank stuff - diatoms etc.

Clean crew is being added today. And I used a couple pieces of Euphyllia to test the water quality since it will tolerate a lot. I did all the standard tests, but I view the euphyllia as the "non-chemical" bio test.

Unread 12/18/2014, 06:30 PM   #70
RTMA
DIY Fanatic

Brett, your setup is absolutely gorgeous. I love the peninsula design and that cabinet is such a beautiful work of art that compliments the tank. I love the basement setup too. My old 75 starfire was a peninsula and I loved it!
Let me know if you need some frags once you get everything settled. I can hook you up!
This reminds me to update my build thread!!!!! Good luck.

Current Tank Info: SPS Dominated In wall 180 (4x3) | SRO XP2000 EXT | Water Blaster powered Seaswirl | MP40 & Tunze Flow | Geisemann Matrix II Dimtec | RKE Managed
RTMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/18/2014, 08:58 PM   #71
BrettH
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTMA View Post
Brett, your setup is absolutely gorgeous. I love the peninsula design and that cabinet is such a beautiful work of art that compliments the tank. I love the basement setup too. My old 75 starfire was a peninsula and I loved it!
Let me know if you need some frags once you get everything settled. I can hook you up!
This reminds me to update my build thread!!!!! Good luck.
Wow! Thank you so much for your kind words and offer. I wish I had some frags to offer, but I am basically starting over right now. Building the system, while not easy, is pale in comparison to turning into a thriving tank. I only hope I can find success this time around like I had with my 75, it's eluding me right now, but hopefully not for long.

By the way, can you post a link to you build thread? Love to see you tank and corals.

Cheers.
brett

Unread 01/09/2015, 10:03 PM   #72
MICHAEL128
Registered Member

Bali live rock (Aquatic Tech)

[QUOTE=BrettH;23333528]Live rock from http://www.aquatictech.com/
Greg was great, he picked the rock and then sent me some pictures. It is some of the nicest live rock I have seen in a long time. It's almost as good as the stuff we got back in the earlier days from Fiji. I am happy to discuss why I choose this route over TBS (TBS looks like amazing rock too!!)

THIS PIECE IS HUGE. The picture doesn't do it justice.

Hi Brett,

Thank you soooo much for the great info!!!!! I'm setting-up a new 180g reef tank. Your info regarding the Bali live rock (Aquatic Tech & Greg) is a great benefit to me. I'm planning to purchase live rock in the Spring.

-Mike

"And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:22

Current Tank Info: Building my first reef tank (180gal) now
MICHAEL128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2015, 06:12 AM   #73
BrettH
Registered Member

Hey everyone...figured it was time to do an update...wish I could do this more real time....but life can get in the way.

It's been almost a year since I reset (December 2014) and things are going well. I've been taking it very slow and only started adding acros late March (Thanks to my local club who gave me a bunch of frags—Thanks Joe and Matt) and then again in April (Delaware Reef Club Farmers Mkt) and June (Reef A Palooza). Only two Acro deaths so far -- Jf Burning Banana and a Highlighter.

Video of the tank, sorry I took it on my iPhone, one of these days I'll get the DSLR out and the macro lens...
http://www.brettdhowell.com/Aquarium...8w/i-QKxGjFT/A

Summary of changes this year (approximate timing):
-March added a simple AWC
-April added Masterflex pump to CaRx system (Love it)
-April started using Kalk in my ATO
-April hit the tank with some Chemi-clean
-May Removed RDSB /Refugium
-June Stopped GFO
-End of July stopped using Kalk in ATO
-Added 40g frag tank to system
-July/August - Dr Tim’s Refresh and Waste Away utilized to knock out small amount of Cyano
-August added 8 Berghi Nudi branches for Aiptasia control- And I am breeding them
-September added supplemental T5 Lighting - 4x54 watt (Blue+, Coral+)
-Mid Sept started Dosing Red Sea Reef Care: Potassium, Iron, Bio Active (Colors B,C & D)
-Mid October: Stopped dosing Iron (Color B) – test kit reading Zero for Iron, but I am seeing algae growth – you can have Iron in your water and still get a zero reading with the test kits.

Unread 10/18/2015, 07:50 AM   #74
BrettH
Registered Member

Cyano & GHA problems

Cyano/GHA problems:

Let's me just say that GHA and Cyano have NOT been that much of an issue, but it is something I have had to monitor and deal with.

In March I started seeing small amounts of GHA along with a spike in PO4, no biggie, I just stayed on top it and removed GHA/cleaned rocks every two to three week and I also started running BRS GFO in a small amount. That kept the PO4 somewhat inline. Then around May I started seeing cyano in the remote deep sand bed, so I took the RDSB off line and hit the tank with chemi-clean. But it still came back in June. So I put Dr Tim's Refresh and Waste Away to work (A biological solution) around July/August. That really helped knock it all out. I used Dr Tim's in the past with mixed results, but this time after the initial dosing/loading program for two weeks, I continued dosing a small amount (5ml) of waste away every day via my GHL Doser 2.

For me, Waste away appears to be doing a better job than GFO. Once I started dosing waste away, I have seen very little algae growth. Possible reasons why it's better for me:

1) Easy to dose at a consistent rate

2) GFO may have been exhausting faster than I thought so I wasn't changing it fast enough--it requires a lot more testing. With waste away I can observe the tank for algae growth and then easily change the dose rate. I test once or twice a month for PO4.

3) Changing out the GFO is more time consuming. Have to rinse it etc.

4) With waste away you are also adding a competing bacteria as opposed to just absorbing PO4 out of the water with GFO.

For the record, I am not saying refresh/waste away are the holy grail, just it seems to be working best for me right now. That could change.

Unread 03/16/2016, 09:48 PM   #75
Osric
Registered Member

At some point you said you'd update as to why you switched from Dialyseas to a regular water change and I'm keen to hear all about it...did I miss it?

thanks