Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/20/2017, 05:26 AM   #1
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Ff montipora

Hi I've had a got a frag of forest fire and has been doing ok entrusting over the plug. The new growth seems to be green.

But I have noticed the polyps turning from red to a lightest orange and the body turning light purple. Is this normal?

Thanks.

fishkeeprian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2017, 08:44 AM   #2
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

How long have you had it? It is normal for corals to change colors while they settle in.

Different lights will color coral differently. For example, I can make forest fire glow under MH that LED cannot unless it is almost like a black light but they won't glow like at my house under 14K or 20K settings. This is normal too. T5s will have a different look as well.

Also, if you bought this coral from a reputable source, it might be forest fire. If you did not, then it could be forest fire look-a-like, which is never as good. We have all learned this lesson the hard way. Yours could be legit, but this will happen to you at some point where you probably got a knockoff.

Lastly, if it is growing and encrusting, then it is happy and will be as good as it can be in your tank soon. This is a great thing. Soon, you will be cussing how fast it grows and will sign a no-monti pact with yourself.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/20/2017, 09:03 AM   #3
fishkeeprian
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda View Post
How long have you had it? It is normal for corals to change colors while they settle in.

Different lights will color coral differently. For example, I can make forest fire glow under MH that LED cannot unless it is almost like a black light but they won't glow like at my house under 14K or 20K settings. This is normal too. T5s will have a different look as well.

Also, if you bought this coral from a reputable source, it might be forest fire. If you did not, then it could be forest fire look-a-like, which is never as good. We have all learned this lesson the hard way. Yours could be legit, but this will happen to you at some point where you probably got a knockoff.

Lastly, if it is growing and encrusting, then it is happy and will be as good as it can be in your tank soon. This is a great thing. Soon, you will be cussing how fast it grows and will sign a no-monti pact with yourself.
I'm pretty sure it's legit. Ive had it around 2-3 months now. When I got it the polyps were a red colour with a darker flesh colour but over time the polyps are a light orange and the body has become light purple. It's under a maxspect razor 15k 180w unit. I stuck it on the sanded because my first thoughts were it was bleach from to much light. The tip and encrusting parts at the Base are green. I don't no where to position it now.

fishkeeprian is offline   Reply With Quote