Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/25/2020, 09:28 PM   #1
Brynjar
Registered Member

Tank leveling, and mine is not in level.

Hey guys

A coupple of pics below

I come from a slight different branch of the hobby, im freshwater and turtles, im also from Denmark, and if i post this on my regular forum - people wonuld'nt have a clue, the hobby is made up of very, very few long term stayers and alot of young experts, that misth be a thing here too though i dont know

To make a long story short, i registered cause i have a 220 gallon tank. Its been running for 6 months now, but it is not 100% level.

I googled the problem and came across this great forum http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2215909

I've had many tanks in the past, plenty of leaks, both from tearing, wrong cili and screwups, i've had used tanks and custom builds. What i want to say with that, i feel like i've gotten the grasps of how they should and should not look.
This tank feels so solid however, compared to any other thing ive had my hands on its 1cm glass all 4 sides (0.393700787 inches) and double that in the bottom. The silicone all looked nice and it held water when i tested emty first time.

I cannot for the life if me remember weather it rested on a rubber mat before the wood plate.

Now would you guys be worried? Cause i am, but i kinda feel like it migth be for nothing.

Do you need any more info on it?

A coupple of pics below

Any input are bery welcome, since im on deep-reef-water kinda ok sorry

Brynjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2020, 09:49 PM   #2
tomreefer
Registered Member

To me yea it's not level looking at it but not off that much. However, it is better if tank is leveled you can use schims under stand where it meets the floor on one side to make it level.

tomreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2020, 11:17 PM   #3
Brynjar
Registered Member

Okay, just looked schims up, that is so much easyer than i had imagined this- emtying tank, figthing turtle, redo floor??. Hah thanks man.

Brynjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2020, 07:54 AM   #4
billdogg
Registered Member

That's enough to be visible, and would bug me. I'd suggest draining as much as you can into buckets/trashcans/etc and leveling it out. The easiest way to measure for level it to use the waterline itself. Measure from the top of the stand to the actual water level at all 4 corners and add shims underneath the stand as needed. Generally speaking, more shims spaced closely together is best, to spread out the pressure as much as possible. Once you get it as close as possible to level, return the water to the tank, sit back, grab the adult beverage of your choice, and admire your newly level tank!

The closer to level you can get it the less stress on the seams of the tank.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2020, 10:37 AM   #5
Oldreeferman
Registered Member

Its visible but not a danger, i however had a scary exp. with mine, after it was setup about oh a yr. i noticed a sag of the stand in the middle with only the sides of my tank supporting everything...YIKES! I cut shim blocks of 2X4 & raised the middle back up till it touched the tank bottom. Luckly my tank had corners on it i have no idea if the glass alone would have supported that or not with a glass only tank. My stand isn't solid all around its on 4 legs so i learned a lesson. Be sure to add additional shims at the center front & backside also as well as at the low end to support all around.

Current Tank Info: Nano Reef tank
Oldreeferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2020, 03:59 PM   #6
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Easy fix is shim it. Permanent fix is move the tank, rip up the the wood flooring use self leveler. I wouldn’t opt for the latter if I were you

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2020, 06:30 PM   #7
Reefrock
Premium Member

Hello..I am setting up a new 75gl tank and after putting a level on it, the tank is about 1/4" off on one side. What is the best way to level a tank..shims...or other suggestion?
'
Thanks in advance...

Reefrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2020, 07:54 PM   #8
tomreefer
Registered Member

shims best way

tomreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2020, 01:58 PM   #9
billdogg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomreefer View Post
shims best way
Really the only (reasonable) way. Just remember to put the shims under the stand, NOT the tank!!!

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote