Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/04/2012, 02:12 AM   #26
Lavoisier
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfin View Post
In my 220 gal tank. I also used cabinet grade plywood, that developed the veneer separation after 6 years.

I had not heard of this happening before so I appreciate your sharing it. I will look further into MDO. Maybe it can be special ordered at HD or a local lumber yard.

"...for it is not necessary that these hypotheses should be true, or even probably; but it is enough if they provide a calculus which fits the observations..."--Introduction (attributed to Andrew Osiander) to On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Sphere by Nicolaus Copernicus.

Current Tank Info: 600g DT, 140g sump, 200g Cryptic, 90g Refugium, 3-400w MH, 2 Reeflo Barracudas, and 3 MP60s
Lavoisier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2012, 05:52 PM   #27
Lavoisier
Premium Member

Okay, so I ran out of time yesterday and when I got home today it was raining in KC. I plan on enclosing this fragile tube with some sort of 2x4 (maybe 1x3)/sheathing structure and attaching it to the house with a bracket.

Here it is inside (after dark unfortunately)

"...for it is not necessary that these hypotheses should be true, or even probably; but it is enough if they provide a calculus which fits the observations..."--Introduction (attributed to Andrew Osiander) to On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Sphere by Nicolaus Copernicus.

Current Tank Info: 600g DT, 140g sump, 200g Cryptic, 90g Refugium, 3-400w MH, 2 Reeflo Barracudas, and 3 MP60s
Unread 11/05/2012, 05:56 PM   #28
karimwassef
Registered Member

who did you get your solar tube from?

karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/05/2012, 06:03 PM   #29
Lavoisier
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
who did you get your solar tube from?
This is a combination of ODL (I picked them up from a local source but can be purchased at Home Depot) and Sola Tubes (ODL does not make a 90 degree extension so I obtained the 90s from the local distributor).

Unread 11/06/2012, 06:48 PM   #30
Lavoisier
Premium Member

Here are some thoughts on my aquascaping. I was planning on a rock wall but after doing some reading I am rethinking that choice. I would appreciate thoughts.

Unread 11/06/2012, 08:45 PM   #31
karimwassef
Registered Member

Looks good. I like adding caves, side-ledges, overhangs, bridge forms and multi-branch structures linking the different structures.

Unread 11/07/2012, 04:57 PM   #32
Lavoisier
Premium Member

Thanks, Karim. I will indeed include your ideas for caves, side-ledges, overhangs, bridge forms and multi-branch structures. I'm not as gifted as you are with Sketchup so this above is pretty rough but the basic proportions are my plan at this point.

Unread 11/08/2012, 08:07 AM   #33
karimwassef
Registered Member

Can you take a daylight picture of the light tube output? Do you have a Lux meter or PAR meter?

Unread 11/08/2012, 08:41 AM   #34
Lavoisier
Premium Member

Quote:
Can you take a daylight picture of the light tube output? Do you have a Lux meter or PAR meter?
Yes, I will this weekend (although after just now checking the weather it may be cloudy both Sat. and Sunday--very frustrating). I leave the house around sunrise right now and get back at dusk so I have not even seen how well it works (or doesn't) yet! I'm waiting to be sure I'm getting some level of significant light from this setup. If I do then I will purchase a PAR meter to be sure that four tubes will adequately light my system for at least 6 hours a day.

Unread 11/08/2012, 10:01 AM   #35
jadendo
Registered Member

Subscribed! This is my dream being realized by someone else.

jadendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2012, 11:07 AM   #36
Lavoisier
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadendo View Post
Subscribed! This is my dream being realized by someone else.
Hi Jadendo, thanks for following along. I hope you find some inspiration for your future build!

Unread 11/08/2012, 11:24 AM   #37
disciple
Registered Member

How far of a run is the solar tube? Looks like you have a few bends and horizontal runs. I thought that you could only use them vertically, now I am thinking about solar tubes.

disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/08/2012, 01:06 PM   #38
Lavoisier
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disciple View Post
How far of a run is the solar tube? Looks like you have a few bends and horizontal runs. I thought that you could only use them vertically, now I am thinking about solar tubes.
I'll know as soon as I can be home on a sunny day! My run is about 4' and contains 2 90s. According to the research I found, which was a single study/paper, a 90 degree bend reduced the lumens @3%. Solatube manufactures the 90s and has no problem with using them. ODL told me they do not make 90s because they do not work!! We'll see soon if my set up works well enough or not.

A complicating factor for me is the height of my external tube. A Solatube rep is concerned I will not get the full benefit because the tube is not on my roof but I will be happy with about 6 hrs a day which my southern exposed wall should be able to give me even during the winter.

I should have some more information for you this weekend and then if it looks good I will publish PAR readings once the tank is constructed and filled with water.

Unread 11/08/2012, 01:56 PM   #39
karimwassef
Registered Member

Please take a measurement outside and at the end to get a conduction efficiency too.

Unread 11/08/2012, 02:43 PM   #40
Lavoisier
Premium Member

Quote:
Please take a measurement outside and at the end to get a conduction efficiency too.
Will do. In fact, I'll get precise measurements on the inside for you as well.

Unread 11/08/2012, 04:18 PM   #41
Lavoisier
Premium Member

The inside run is a total of 58" with an additional 9" horizontal then 48" to the top.

Unread 11/09/2012, 01:54 PM   #42
Lavoisier
Premium Member

Creating a stronger frame for my build was suggested so I have come up with the follow (in red). On the other hand, I will doing biscuits, glue and screws so I'm not sure I want to add this frame. Thoughts appreciated

Unread 11/09/2012, 02:26 PM   #43
karimwassef
Registered Member

Lavoisier,

The broad side of a stud doesn't provide enough structural strength. The narrow side is what will support the stress.

Think of it like this... It you put the stud like a tight rope over two concrete blocks and walk on it with the broad side up, it will bend with your weight. But, if you put it narrow side up, it will bend significantly less.

You need to construct the supports so the bowing side is supported by the narrow side of the studs. The wider the wide side, the more support you get.. so a 2x6 supports more than a 2x4.

I would start by turning the studs 90 degrees.

With 8 ft or more on the window side, you may need a center brace above and below.

Unread 11/09/2012, 09:06 PM   #44
Addict0Reef
Registered Member

My thoughts are you have a 30" deep tank by 8', you should be okay with coast to coast overflow @ the back, euro-braced on the two sides and the front and the addition of a center brace depending on thickness of your viewing panel. If you need a center brace and don't want it you can explore the possibility of specifying the thickness of the viewing panel so as to not require a center brace. Also another solution is to reinforce the top of the tank along the long viewing panel side with steel angle to provide the added bending resistance required.

Here are some pics (with the attached link to the thread) of an enormous build that is somewhat similar to yours courtesy of fingerlakesreef.com. Dimensions are 11'-11" x 4' x 4'. My belief is that the cleats (the 2x4 material attached vertically to the ends of this monster) are not required. So same goes for your build as your width dimension is the same and only 48". But again, as I have had concerns before, if surge is utilized then perhaps it is prudent to install cleats (mechanically fasten and glue cleat along the 1 1/2" dimension for maximum strength or bending resistance). Hope this gives you some ideas to pull from

Attached Images
File Type: jpg woody 083.jpg (22.6 KB, 774 views)
File Type: jpg woody 097.jpg (40.7 KB, 749 views)
File Type: jpg woody 118.jpg (36.2 KB, 728 views)
File Type: jpg woody 174.jpg (33.6 KB, 719 views)
Addict0Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/10/2012, 12:50 AM   #45
Lavoisier
Premium Member

Wow, and I thought my tank was big! 1700 gallons!

On another note, I will "finish" the liquid rubber with a water based clear coat acrylic impervious to UV. There are several products available by Krylon and Minwax.

Unread 11/10/2012, 12:13 PM   #46
Lavoisier
Premium Member

We have a sunny day in KC and my tube appears to be successful. I'll order a par meter this week and I'll know for sure after using something better than my eyeball.

The first two pics are earlier before the sun cleared the trees and the next two in direct sun.

Direct sun:

Unread 11/10/2012, 12:42 PM   #47
karimwassef
Registered Member

Looks great! Can't wait for the data

Unread 11/10/2012, 02:06 PM   #48
Lavoisier
Premium Member

Sump question

Here is my plan for my sump. My question (probably a dumb one) is if I can create a slower flow chamber with the use of the two valves pictured below. This chamber would be used for macro algae.

Unread 11/12/2012, 08:16 PM   #49
Lavoisier
Premium Member

Sump Design

I had some great help on a separate sump flow design thread (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2232911) so I'll post the current sump design here as well. I will change the cryptic tank to either half the size devoted to cryptic and the other half to macro algae or all macro. If you have thoughts on a cryptic tank or not I would appreciate feedback. In the process I also found what I thought was an interesting study on heat, evaporation, and dissolved oxygen in this study (http://maxwellsci.com/print/crjbs/%283%2972-77.pdf) done with 28 8'x4' tanks of three different depths 24", 30", 36" which showed an average evaporation loss of 1.2g per day.

Unread 11/12/2012, 08:47 PM   #50
Aquatron
Refugium pat.#D414,242

I am doing a cryptic aka duplex/refugium myself looking forward to how it goes using natural filter feeder's area. I know a macro algae refugium works been using them for year's.
I like your design and size...great looking build!
You want to get really Krazy install a upflow ATS on one of the walls between them doesn't have to be very large

Aquatron is offline   Reply With Quote