Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/21/2012, 02:13 PM   #76
Photobug
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavoisier View Post

I could not find anything from my google search so thanks in advance. I am on my way to HD to exchange the biscuits and will ask there but I hope someone sees this post before I get back to confirm whatever I hear at HD.
I usually hear "Um I don't know" at Home Depot.

I think the biscuits are there for alignment as much as gluing surface.

I am not sure where you are using them, are you butt joining the ply or making corners with the biscuits? Is the plywood going to be structural or just facing? I would just put biscuits every 10" or so, glue and clamp and let the glue do the work.

Go to woodnet.net for expert advise on woodworking.

Photobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2012, 06:18 PM   #77
Lavoisier
Premium Member

Thanks Photobug. I am doing butt joints and the plywood is structural. One site suggested a minimum of 3" between #10 biscuits. I will be using screws as well as biscuits.

"...for it is not necessary that these hypotheses should be true, or even probably; but it is enough if they provide a calculus which fits the observations..."--Introduction (attributed to Andrew Osiander) to On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Sphere by Nicolaus Copernicus.

Current Tank Info: 600g DT, 140g sump, 200g Cryptic, 90g Refugium, 3-400w MH, 2 Reeflo Barracudas, and 3 MP60s
Lavoisier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/21/2012, 11:13 PM   #78
Conspiculatus
Registered Member.

Best of luck on your build. Keep us updated.

Conspiculatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/22/2012, 12:16 AM   #79
Photobug
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks Photobug. I am doing butt joints and the plywood is structural. One site suggested a minimum of 3" between #10 biscuits. I will be using screws as well as biscuits.
In that case I would back up the joint with a reinforcement. If you have the space on the back size a 6" or more wide piece of plywood. After the butt joint with biscuits has dried I would cut a piece of plywood 6" wide and overlap either side of the joint by 3" and glue the surface over the joint. If you are going to have a wood frame around the top or bottom or both. Leave the splice reinforcement short of that area.

Photobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2012, 12:49 PM   #80
Lavoisier
Premium Member

Progress (slowly), Par meter, goodies

Slow progress over Thanksgiving. I started constructing the sump. As one wise RC build suggested practice building with sump before the DT! The box is complete, I'll work on the baffles, sock holder, etc., this week:

Biscuits:

Up to my elbows:

A seam done!

I received the par meter from Apogee and have set it up to record a day of solar at 21"

And finally a few "goodies" I'm looking forward to actually using:

"...for it is not necessary that these hypotheses should be true, or even probably; but it is enough if they provide a calculus which fits the observations..."--Introduction (attributed to Andrew Osiander) to On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Sphere by Nicolaus Copernicus.

Current Tank Info: 600g DT, 140g sump, 200g Cryptic, 90g Refugium, 3-400w MH, 2 Reeflo Barracudas, and 3 MP60s
Unread 11/24/2012, 03:38 PM   #81
hatcher2014
Registered Member

Wow amazing build have enjoyed reading every post. I almost had a plywood tank built when I lived in Ohio but moved to oregon to spend time with my mom who was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer lost her in oct sorry got off track. But I had a friend in Ohio that had built several plywood tanks and had a 8x4 himself awesome tank. Also I'm not sure if I didn't catch it or not but what plywood did you decide to go with I was going to use marine but never got to do the build. Can't wait to read more on your progress. Also I'm originally from MO but my dad is from KC born raised Wyndotte county. So planning on making a trip back home next year and hopefully can swing through and see this beauty.

hatcher2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2012, 04:40 PM   #82
Lavoisier
Premium Member

Thank you, Hatcher, for the kind words. Look forward to seeing you in KC. Hopefully, I'll be done by the time you visit your Father. I'm from Oregon originally. Great country. I'm sorry about your Mother...we lost my Father-in-law (Oregon City) two months ago.

I'm using a furniture grade plywood (oak). With the liquid rubber and painting the plywood is fully sealed and protected. If the coatings fail any plywood will also fail, even if it is marine grade.

Unread 11/24/2012, 08:09 PM   #83
jcm2m9
Registered Member

Have you posted this on Kansas City local local saltwater message board? I am sure there are a bunch of members that would love to help you out.

salt-city.org

Current Tank Info: 14g biocube that is no longer AIO
jcm2m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2012, 10:03 PM   #84
rogergolf66
im an addict lol

Very nice. Looking forward to seeing the progress

Current Tank Info: System 1... 100 gal Zoa tank I built, 30 gal Ric Yuma shroom tank, 30 gal mix tank my sons,40 gal softie tank, 40 gal nem tank, two 40 gal LPS tank. System 2... 240 gal SPS display attached 100 gal frag SPS only tank.
rogergolf66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2012, 12:21 AM   #85
CyclistMT
More Idiot Than Savant

Looking good Lavoisier!

I'm so jealous. I really wanted to do sola tubes but couldn't find a reasonable way to do it with my tank in the basement. Looks like you have found a way. Looking forward to those par readings!

Current music selection: 10 Years - Backlash

Unread 11/25/2012, 08:01 AM   #86
jerpa
Registered Member

I'm interested in the PAR readings from your unconventional solar tubes as well. I notice the sensor isn't leveled. You can remove that screw to have it sit flat. Just be aware your readings will likely be 10-20% lower than they actually are.

Current Tank Info: 40b basement sump, 40b refugium, 30g frag
jerpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2012, 08:53 AM   #87
jdpiii3
Registered Member

Great looking build. I'm happy to see others trying out the solar tube lighting.

Current Tank Info: 400 gal in wall – Sun-Lit with two 21” Sun-Domes 72x36x36 400lbs l.r. & sand 2 ReeFlo Super Dart Gold return pumps, 120g Sump, My Reef Creations MR-6R Recirculating Protein Skimmer, 2 MP60's/ Tank Video on Youtube
jdpiii3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2012, 01:57 PM   #88
Lavoisier
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclistMT View Post
I'm so jealous. I really wanted to do sola tubes but couldn't find a reasonable way to do it with my tank in the basement. Looks like you have found a way. Looking forward to those par readings!
No need to be jealous, I'm not getting anywhere near enough light. Par readings at 21" (no water) are running 11-12 and right at the glass 67-69! Very disappointed.

Oh well...the best laid plans. I'll have to set up with my 3-400w MH and do a build for leds eventually.

Unread 11/25/2012, 08:21 PM   #89
Conspiculatus
Registered Member.

You are a very brave individual to use plywood to construct an aquarium. Consider for a moment how often plywood boats need their hauls redone in marine environments.

Conspiculatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2012, 08:57 PM   #90
Killgore
Registered Member

Following along! Looks good so far! Good luck!

Current Tank Info: 29g mixed reef/10g refugium.
Killgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/25/2012, 09:50 PM   #91
CyclistMT
More Idiot Than Savant

Quote:
No need to be jealous, I'm not getting anywhere near enough light. Par readings at 21" (no water) are running 11-12 and right at the glass 67-69! Very disappointed.

Oh well...the best laid plans. I'll have to set up with my 3-400w MH and do a build for leds eventually.
Lav, didn't you say you set up the meter to record a day of activity? I don't have a meter yet so I don't know how they work but could that have been an average of the day rather than a max? If it was an average, you should try taking a reading at different parts of the day to see what you get. Also, it's winter up here in the northern hemisphere which I would think would give you lower par readings right now due to the angle of the sun. And as jerpa said, get that sensor flat so it collects the photons at the right angle. I think you will still have to supplement but maybe you can still use the solar tubes to some degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiculatus View Post
You are a very brave individual to use plywood to construct an aquarium. Consider for a moment how often plywood boats need their hauls redone in marine environments.
I would say he is a very savvy individual to follow in the footsteps of the rest of us plywood tank builders. I would encourage you to tank a better look around. There are at least 6 active plywood builds/finished tanks on Reef Central right now and probably more than a dozen successful builds in the past few years here.

And there several other boards with plywood tank builds that don't have a build thread here. Plywood tanks have been built all over the world with great success.

There are tried and true methods to building these tanks.

Unread 11/26/2012, 12:53 AM   #92
karimwassef
Registered Member

All DIY are by definition brave, industrious, and savvy...

karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2012, 01:53 PM   #93
Lavoisier
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogergolf66 View Post
Very nice. Looking forward to seeing the progress
Thanks for the compliment. I’m glad your following along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpiii3 View Post
Great looking build. I'm happy to see others trying out the solar tube lighting.
I fear that without a more powerful lens on the collection end of the tube I will have tried but failed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killgore View Post
Following along! Looks good so far! Good luck!
Thanks, Killgore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclistMT View Post
Lav, didn't you say you set up the meter to record a day of activity? I don't have a meter yet so I don't know how they work but could that have been an average of the day rather than a max? If it was an average, you should try taking a reading at different parts of the day to see what you get. Also, it's winter up here in the northern hemisphere which I would think would give you lower par readings right now due to the angle of the sun. And as jerpa said, get that sensor flat so it collects the photons at the right angle. I think you will still have to supplement but maybe you can still use the solar tubes to some degree.
Thanks, Cyclist for the encouragement. I did level out the sensor and will take readings for the rest of the week. I will likely leave the tube in place and continue to monitor (Summer may be a different ballgame altogether). At this point I will hold off purchasing the other 4 tubes I had planned. I would guess that with a more effective "collecter" lens this set up would work. Whether such a lens is doable (cost, expertise in crafting, etc.) will have to be seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
All DIY are by definition brave, industrious, and savvy...
Now you’re talking my language!!

Last edited by Lavoisier; 11/26/2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Spacing
Unread 11/28/2012, 12:42 AM   #94
ELGUAP0
Registered Member

Nice build Lav. I am from the KC area as well....Missouri side. I am starting a build of my own as well. It is nice to see that I am not the only crazy one in this area.

ELGUAP0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/28/2012, 08:50 AM   #95
Crazy_Beaver
Registered Member

Looking really good!I ll be following!

All the best!

Current Tank: Beaver's Crazy Reef (51X39X25, powered by ATB , Hyperion R2, Tunze )
Crazy_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2012, 01:52 PM   #96
Lavoisier
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELGUAP0 View Post
Nice build Lav. I am from the KC area as well....Missouri side. I am starting a build of my own as well. It is nice to see that I am not the only crazy one in this area.
Thank you, Elguapo. Yes, at least two of us crazy ones inKC! I hope you will be able to post your build as you get started. It is enlightening as well as entertaining to see other’s builds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Beaver View Post
Looking really good!I ll be following!

All the best!
Thank you for the encouragement. I'm glad your following along.

Unread 11/29/2012, 04:03 PM   #97
ELGUAP0
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you, Elguapo. Yes, at least two of us crazy ones inKC! I hope you will be able to post your build as you get started. It is enlightening as well as entertaining to see other’s builds.

Thank you for the encouragement. I'm glad your following along.
My friends and family have been more than willing to let me know they think I'm out of my mind building a tank this size. My project is slow going. Right now I am in the middle of reinforcing the basement floor. I just didn't think the floor was thick enough to support the kind of weight of 600 gallons of water. When I get past the boaring stuff and to the actual build I will be starting my own thread.

ELGUAP0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/29/2012, 05:22 PM   #98
Lavoisier
Premium Member

Closed Loop Sea Swirls

My 1 1/2" Sea Swirls arrived! I've got to get this tank built to get this neat equipment into service.

Unread 11/29/2012, 05:23 PM   #99
Lavoisier
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELGUAP0 View Post
My friends and family have been more than willing to let me know they think I'm out of my mind building a tank this size. My project is slow going. Right now I am in the middle of reinforcing the basement floor. I just didn't think the floor was thick enough to support the kind of weight of 600 gallons of water. When I get past the boaring stuff and to the actual build I will be starting my own thread.
Taking it slow and doing it right is always the best course. Sounds like you are doing just that.

Unread 01/03/2013, 10:09 PM   #100
hatcher2014
Registered Member

Havent heard or seen any up dates just wondering how everything is going.

hatcher2014 is offline   Reply With Quote