Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/07/2017, 10:53 AM   #1
Han Solo
Registered Member

What's the fate of your baby seahorses?

Hey everybody,

So my two h. erectus have been having babies regularly. Now it was only three weeks gestation period this last birth. I have three that survived from the last batch that I've keep in a breeder net. I also have baby brine shrimp and possibly plan on raising them for real.

My real question though is that some of you obviously can't try and save every baby every time they birth, so do you just let them disintegrate in your tank/filter? Seems kind of sad as well, but I know their mating means they are healthy for one.

Han Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2017, 06:43 PM   #2
vlangel
Registered Member

My current male is young and as yet to capture my big females eggs so have not had a brood for a while. I have a lfs owner who is willing to drive and pick up the fry and attempt to raise them (actually I think he has someone else do the raising for him). I give them to him for free.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/07/2017, 07:31 PM   #3
Han Solo
Registered Member

My plan is to start contacting LFS and groups around here for that purpose and hopefully sell some when they are grown too.

Thanks for the reply.

Han Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2017, 02:57 PM   #4
CritterHeaven
Registered Member

I expect you may find people willing to pay for shipping them to raise them as well.

CritterHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote