Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11/27/2017, 07:47 AM   #26
Ricardo Saito
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Wow! Very very beautiful!
How old is the tank?
I see you handling a lot of frags but your display has some very nice sized colonies.
Did they all start out as frags?

Thanks, 3 years old reefmutt...

We got 40 species today (main tank + frag tank)... most started as frags

Old 11/27/2017, 10:04 PM   #27
ReefKeeper64
Pax-Bellum ARID Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Saito View Post
We thank you all !

sure glaukos...

NO3: undetectable
PO4: undetectable
KH: 6.5 ~ 7.5
CA: 410 ~ 430
MG: 1.250 ~1.300
K+: 400 ~ 450
SG: 1.025
Temp: 78.8 ~ 80.6ļF

the T5s right now are (front to back)...

1- Narva Blue2
2- Narva 10.000K
3- Narva Blue2
4- Giesemann Pure Actinic
5- Narva 10.000K
6- Narva Blue2
7- Giesemann Pure Actinic
8- Narva Blue2
9- Narva 10.000K
10- Narva Blue2
How do you get such colors with undetectable no3 and PO4? My corals fade at those levels. I keep no3 at .5-2.5 and PO4 around 0.01-0.03. You must be doing something to get those results.

Envious😜

ReefKeeper64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2017, 05:44 AM   #28
Ricardo Saito
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefKeeper64 View Post
How do you get such colors with undetectable no3 and PO4? My corals fade at those levels. I keep no3 at .5-2.5 and PO4 around 0.01-0.03. You must be doing something to get those results.

Envious😜
About our taste ReefKeeper64...

If we let the No3 goes up a bit, indeed some corals improve their colors, but others goes the opposite way

The Sohal went away a few weeks ago... and we could notice a color fading in some acros, fish **** helps

Another thing that we use and helps a bit are Amino Acids, and thats all we use for colors along with trace elements through the balling salts

Old 11/28/2017, 09:36 AM   #29
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

IME, you can really pop coral with very low N and P with good T5 and MH lights.... much harder, but not impossible, under LED. I keep mine very low, as well. The ZEO (and the like) tanks in Europe that really pop are mostly T5 tanks with a few MH sprinkled in.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2017, 01:49 PM   #30
ReefKeeper64
Pax-Bellum ARID Club

JDA, I’m running an ATI 8x54w T5 fixture just 3 inches off the water and agree with you completely. My corals do well with T5s.

Ricardo, I haven’t paid much attention to amino acids and just considered them another form of carbon. Based on your feedback, I’m going to have to do some experimenting. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

ReefKeeper64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2017, 05:04 AM   #31
Ricardo Saito
Registered Member

Quote:
JDA, Iím running an ATI 8x54w T5 fixture just 3 inches off the water and agree with you completely. My corals do well with T5s.

Ricardo, I havenít paid much attention to amino acids and just considered them another form of carbon. Based on your feedback, Iím going to have to do some experimenting. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

ReefKeeper64, we found out other supplements as just another form of carbon (like ZEOfood7), but not Amino Acids

Old 12/14/2017, 06:43 AM   #32
Zweebe
Registered Member

Do you guys think ozone bring something really helpful for colors and PE?

Zweebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2017, 07:24 AM   #33
Ricardo Saito
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweebe View Post
Do you guys think ozone bring something really helpful for colors and PE?
We use ozone only for water clarity purposes Zweebe, never tried ozone for colors, raise ORP or PE (we dont know whats "PE" by the way... lol)

Old 12/14/2017, 07:50 AM   #34
Zweebe
Registered Member

Quote:
We use ozone only for water clarity purposes Zweebe, never tried ozone for colors, raise ORP or PE (we dont know whats "PE" by the way... lol)
PE = Polyp Extension :-)

Old 12/14/2017, 09:05 PM   #35
ReefKeeper64
Pax-Bellum ARID Club

Quote:
ReefKeeper64, we found out other supplements as just another form of carbon (like ZEOfood7), but not Amino Acids
It sounds like your amino acids are beneficial. Thanks for the details about that.

I also use ozone and saw your comment about you using it for water clarity. I feel that ozone provides other important benefits and I suspect that you are probably realizing the additional benefits. Whatever it is you're doing, its working!

Old 12/15/2017, 02:20 AM   #36
Zweebe
Registered Member

Quote:
It sounds like your amino acids are beneficial. Thanks for the details about that.

I also use ozone and saw your comment about you using it for water clarity. I feel that ozone provides other important benefits and I suspect that you are probably realizing the additional benefits. Whatever it is you're doing, its working!
Which other important benefits? :-)

Old 12/15/2017, 01:58 PM   #37
ReefKeeper64
Pax-Bellum ARID Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zweebe View Post
Which other important benefits? :-)
My anecdotal experience is that water clarity is improved, odors are eliminated and I never experience diatoms. From a scientific standpoint, Ozone kills bacteria and viruses on contact. It also destroys toxins released by corals when then are battling with each other. It's also effective in destroying organic contaminants, pathogens, and a variety of inorganic materials. Fish health is improved, which is why ozone is often used in commercial fisheries. For all of ozone's inherent power, it is perfectly safe and will not adversely affect people, pets, or equipment when properly installed. I followed the instructions on setup, vented skimmer exhaust outside, only run it at night, and use a controller fitted with an ORP set of a max ORP of 325 (ORP at 450-500 becomes too much of a good thing). I couldn't be happier with the results. I think the OP receives the many benefits as well.

Old 12/15/2017, 06:31 PM   #38
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Those are some really nice sticks you have. Colours are outstanding on them. Nice choices on sps. Pleaee keep posting new pics. How about some filteration details and pics, Im a bit of an equipment nut.

DesertReefT4r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM   #39
makers marc
Registered Member

How have most of your acros not encrusted the plug over those 3 yrs? Perhaps flow related?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

2xJebao wp25/Kessil Ap700/Kalk via Tunze ATO/GFO (6 tbsps every 2 wks); Carbon (6 tbsps per month)
makers marc is offline   Reply With Quote