Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/16/2018, 10:53 AM   #1
Mike Ordner
Registered Member

parasitic isopod

I have a red tailed wrasse in QT. I used algae, beach sand and natural seawater collected locally to make sure there was stuff for him to eat. Unfortunately, I was unlucky to have a parasitic isopod in the algae, and it has attached to the mouth of the wrasse. It is still able to eat, so not in panic mode, but need to kill the isopod. I have read I can use Ivermectin for treatment. I do not have this on hand. Any suggestion of the best place to buy and what dose to use? I have Prazipro, will this do anything for isopods? Are the other medications that can be used for external isopods? I appreciate any help.

Mike Ordner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2018, 11:47 AM   #2
HumbleFish
Moved On

Unfortunately, you're probably going to have to use tweezers to remove it manually. MS-222 can be used to sedate him beforehand: https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/11/fish

I have no experience with Ivermectin, but after reading this I believe Dimilin (which I use to treat anchor worms) would work on crustaceans as well: http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.ne...?entryID=12635

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/16/2018, 05:38 PM   #3
Mike Ordner
Registered Member

Thanks, it has detached so no need to remove the fish.

Mike Ordner is offline   Reply With Quote