Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/09/2017, 10:30 AM   #1
dcom
Registered Member

Nano-Reefing is fun! 29 reef bow front.

I’ve relocated to this 29 gallons bow front due to leaking on the bigger (75) thank. That was a very painful experience that nobody should go through… best wishes to everybody!

I’ve been a loner when it come to the hobby for the most part, just researching online or going to the local library (yes... I still go to the library); but I've decided to share the process this time.

Not all corals are relocated yet but the tank is at least somewhat presentable though I am open to suggestions about the set up, aquascaping for rocks just one last time), the current corals and the future master plan of how I would like the tank to be when all the colorful guys grow up.

Tank: Standard 29 gallon bow front
Bare-bottom: I think it stays cleaner and have fewer chances to parameter swings. Also, I am leaning towards growing some colonies in the bottom glass but haven’t totally decided on that yet. It is easier to add sand than it is to get it out so will give it a try.

Filtration:
1500 cascade canister of 350gph. Had it from my previous set up but and is never too much, specially if doing some target feeding from time to time.

Live rock:
About 30 pounds of live rock. Aquacultured in Puerto Rico although not as porous as I would like. It is heavy, dense but really like its color and the live it brings to the tank. Will keep it.

Flow: Have two 1500 koralia pumps but I am not planning on using any in this set up since the out flow from the canister i believe is strong enough... but will see.

Lights: Lets not talk about it. Bad lighting but already ordered a new 16" from "sb reef lights" 15 days ago and still waiting. Feels like for ever

Refugium, sump, skimmer: Currently a single hang on back refugium. Have skimmer and a smaller tank but not planning on doing sump or use the skimmer due to size but if someone has experience with similar sized tanks, please let me know.

Heathing: None currently. Temperature stays around 78 but will see what happens once the new lights are introduced.

Live stock: Clown pair, two turbo snails, two cleaner shrimps, two emerald crabs, two feather dusters, one mandarin goby, one pencil sea urchin, two sponges and one sea apple. They all came from my bigger tank, were introduced over a 3 weeks period and are all doing great. This may be working for me cause the water, filters and rocks were aged but wouldn’t recommend anyone to start with these many, specially not with mandarins, sponges or sea apples. Not planning on getting any more fish (obviously) and may even take the sea urchin out cause he likes to play with the frags… and I don’t.

Corals: It is a mixed reef and will list the current ones with pictures in a later post.

To do:
- Place and set the new lights. Still unsure about how to introduce them. I know it should be exponentially but haven't decided on how low to start from and how often/how much to increase the intensity.

- Blue background. I always do easy blue backgrounds. It makes the tank look simple/deeper and yet not as dark as with black color or as busy as with some designed backgrounds.

- Move all the frags to this tank and locate it them in the rocks... somewhere

Please feel free to comment, ask and suggest about it.
This journal post is intended to not only help me clarify my thoughts and share the process and growth of my tank but also to heard from some fellow reef lovers.

Will be documenting the tank journal in video also though I kinda like writing better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ1c8vmGP98

Later!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2-9-2017 9-26-28 AM.jpg (31.7 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-02-04_17-42-35_000.jpg (67.6 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 2017-02-03_19-01-53_232.jpg (32.6 KB, 35 views)
dcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2017, 10:48 PM   #2
dcom
Registered Member

With the leaking and relocation of the corals I had two big problems: The acropora had bleaching and also fell and about half of its branches were broken.

Also the frogspawn had brown algae disease and loss several heads.

After heavy treatment with Iodine and antibiotics I was able to stop both diseases.

The acropora is not bleaching any more. and the frogspawn look happy again.

Now is about keep on taking care of them and whatch them grow and change.

I just wonder if the color will grow back in the acropora or if there will be new tissue in the frogspawns.

We will see...

Unread 02/11/2017, 09:53 PM   #3
dcom
Registered Member

I've made some changes and so far think they look good:
- Added a blue background
- Transfered some more corals to the tank
- Attached more corals to the rock and also to frag stations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAyBUr9YemA

Unread 02/11/2017, 10:27 PM   #4
dcom
Registered Member

Forgot to mention that two heads of frogspawn i though were dead and left behind in my spare tank are actually regrowing tissue and the polyps are clearly coming out!
The acropora may be gaining some color over the bleached area but is hard to tell, I am not sure about that yet.

Unread 02/19/2017, 10:19 PM   #5
dcom
Registered Member

1st month update

1st month update:
Added a plate coral and some frag rocks.
The plate coral is really awesome!

https://youtu.be/0A-XEHHAv7o

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-02-19 at 11.11.23 PM.jpg (57.7 KB, 18 views)
Unread 04/23/2017, 07:25 PM   #6
dcom
Registered Member

4th mont update on my nano reef tank

I've wanted to have seahorses since I was a child so now is time to give it a try. Here is my update for the 4th month journal on my nano reef tank.
Enjoy!
https://youtu.be/8r0A5zPnamk

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04-23 at 9.17.20 PM.jpg (66.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 04-23 at 9.18.07 PM.jpg (70.9 KB, 12 views)
Unread 11/02/2017, 09:58 AM   #7
dcom
Registered Member

10th month update...**plenty of changes:
I've reorganized the tank in few ways, added more gorgonians and acroporas for the seahorses to hitch on.
There now is*an acan garden after placing them all in one rock.
Added several LPS, an open brain*and few scolymias. They*added so much color to the tank.
Overall I am happy with the results so far!
Looking forward for future growth and development!
enjoy!

https://youtu.be/yqFd36r4DOo

Unread 11/02/2017, 11:36 AM   #8
dcom
Registered Member

Unread 11/02/2017, 11:38 AM   #9
dcom
Registered Member

[URL="https://imgur.com/a/mTYn9"]