Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > RC Archives > Mollusk of the Week
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/22/2001, 02:32 PM   #1
herefishiefishie
Premium Member

Arrow

Every week I will be posting a new mollusk for discussion. Please post everything you know about this week's mollusk, to include pics, care and feeding habits, optimal environment, common names, and anything else you can think of.

This week's clam is the squamosa clam, distinguished from the other clams by its large, numerous shell scutes. It is considered by most to be the Tridacnid clam with the lowest light requirements because of its usual habitat in waters with a lot of sediment or particulate matter. This usual habitat also caused the squamosa clam to develop tentacles around the incurrent siphon, similar to the derasa clam, with which it is often confused. The squamosa clam prefers a sandy substrate.

Unread 03/23/2001, 05:02 PM   #2
Clyde
Premium Member

i think I have a Squamosa clam

here it is.

I have a better one I ll upload after I see my father in law at the hospital - family is here and we're leaving now.

back soon..

heard this is the most commonly confused clam between maxima and squamosa

mines very green from overhead but though glass a bit drab.

Windows for Solitaire

Current Tank Info: 180g, 3x250W, DIY Stand, DIY Canopy - Sump in basement
Unread 03/24/2001, 12:24 AM   #3
Outerbank
Registered Member

Hi Clyde,
We will see what others post, but your clam looks more like a maxima to me.

Scott

Unread 03/31/2001, 11:53 PM   #4
chuey
Registered Member

I have a small (3 inch) but growing squamosa on my substrata. It seems to be doing well in a tank with moderate light (72 gallon, 210 watt PC). I feed the tank DT's live phytoplankton and shelled shrimp eggs on alternate days. One thing I didn't expect: It moves around a fair amount. Lately, it has cozied up to a bubble coral.

Unread 04/10/2001, 10:05 AM   #5
herefishiefishie
Premium Member

Exclamation LAST CALL

Please submit any info you have on the squamosa clam. This is the last call before this thread goes to the archive.

Unread 04/10/2001, 12:01 PM   #6
Clyde
Premium Member

wanted to follow up on my clam

it looks a LOT bette rnow

its under a 4x110W VHO and 2x250W 6500K bubls in the corner of the tank, glad it 'recovered'

on side note, I think due to lack of traffic on this forum is becuase of the new layout.. the species area is 'closed' and you have to click on it to view, then click on another area to view and so on..

Windows for Solitaire

Current Tank Info: 180g, 3x250W, DIY Stand, DIY Canopy - Sump in basement
Unread 04/11/2001, 10:54 AM   #7
npaden
Registered Member

Scott,
I'm pretty sure that Clyde's clam is a squasmosa. I have noticed that they are often labeled incorrectly as a maximas by various wholesalers who obviously can get more $$ for a maxima than for a squasmosa.
The best way to identify them in my opinion is the slight spacing between the scutes. On the maximas the scutes are very pronounced, however they are spaced much closer together.
FWIW, Nathan

Maximize Flow, Minimize Velocity! Always get a second opinion (and a 3rd, 4th, etc...)

Current Tank Info: 415G 10' display tank w/ 135G refugium/sump New Shed/Greenhouse w/ 1,100g refugium, 100g mangrove tank, 150g sump Several 25g clown growout tanks and 10g hatchout tanks