Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Aquaforest
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/17/2017, 10:15 AM   #1
Davidb6
Registered Member

New to Aquaforest - equipment help

Equipment help - I see by the guide - lighting, skimmer and water movement but what other equipment is needed? Is it just a single reactor to place the different media?

Thanks

Davidb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2017, 12:00 PM   #2
remi010
Registered Member

Component 1234 and vitaly, of build, of amino and of energy is enough to start. You do not think I need to use a reactor and no zeolite.

I will start soon to aquaforest from Triton

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

remi010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/17/2017, 12:39 PM   #3
Davidb6
Registered Member

I found this during a search -

Aquaforest also recommends use of such products like 15mm Siporax
I'm going to put mine into a PhosBan reactor.
I run 3L of Siporax in a Vertex zeo reactor

Unread 06/18/2017, 10:35 AM   #4
Davidb6
Registered Member

Hard to get any help with the AquaForest products

Sent a message to the company and just got a link to a brochure I already had and a link to this site.

Unread 06/18/2017, 11:57 AM   #5
remi010
Registered Member

Yes , i know. I do not know if I'm going to do this method for this reason

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

remi010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2017, 03:55 PM   #6
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidb6 View Post
Equipment help - I see by the guide - lighting, skimmer and water movement but what other equipment is needed? Is it just a single reactor to place the different media?

Thanks

Hi,
I assume you are speaking of Probiotic Method, I say this because you would treat other products offered for fish only, softy, and even lps with traditional husbandry and approach. So, what is needed to run Probiotic, I would say that ideally, having as much surface area available for homing denitrifying bacteria would be the base line of the system. This can run passive, in baskets made of eggrate, stacked in baffles of the system, or just lying on the floor of the sump. Ideally, placed to where detritus will not clog the material. A reactor will always be a great means of forcing flow through the material, but can be tricky with large additions. Most advise on the minimum side to add 1 liter of media for every 100 liters of tank water. AF has AF Life Bio Fil, their media is pre-impregnated with bacteria, and advantage as it works straight away. There are plenty of biological medias on the market, they all work similar. I have also used siporax with success. Some Probiotic users with heavy bioload choose to use a stack method, with with the following medias changed every 4-6 weeks all at the same time. AF Zeo Mix, on the bottom of a fluidized reactor, next AF Carbon placed on top of Zeo Mix, then AF Phosphate Minus stacked on top of Carbon(I use a sponge between these medias). The flow rate is determined by the Phosphate Minus tumbling gently like any GFO. This gives you benefit of running very low nutrients, and keeping pristine water conditions. Daily use of NP Pro and Pro Bio S are used to upkeep the bacteria populations, and then a food source in NP Pro to feed the bacteria. These ultimately aid in the breakdown and removal of Nitrate and Phosphate. Probiotic Reef Salt pairs nicely into this system. Not sure if this is the info you are looking for, but look over all the threads, many answers to questions are likely answered.
Cheers

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/18/2017, 08:02 PM   #7
Davidb6
Registered Member

Perry wrote - Some Probiotic users with heavy bioload choose to use a stack method, with with the following medias changed every 4-6 weeks all at the same time. AF Zeo Mix, on the bottom of a fluidized reactor, next AF Carbon placed on top of Zeo Mix, then AF Phosphate Minus stacked on top of Carbon(I use a sponge between these medias).

Thanks for the help - This (above) is the basic method I was planning to use; I am curious if people are being successful using this basic AquaForest approach or need to supplement this with additional (reactor) equipment. I am just trying to plan ahead for my build

Unread 06/19/2017, 04:20 AM   #8
Davidb6
Registered Member

Just to clarify - I read posts and look at setups for people using Zeovit and Redsea (dosing) and it is very common to see people not strictly following the "guide" for each. It seems to me the dosing by these companies just can not do exactly what they claim so people need to supplement with some other method to get closer to a ULNT.

I was just wondering if I should expect the same with AquaForest. I am OK with supplementation just would like to know in advance so I can buy, design and setup the right sump, plumbing and equipment from the start. My hope is I can use the AF dosing options and the basic "guide" to reach ULNT and good coral growth and color

Last edited by Davidb6; 06/19/2017 at 04:25 AM.
Unread 06/19/2017, 08:22 AM   #9
plyle02
Registered Member

Hello,
Most important aspect of any reef is the husbandry. Dosing will help in reduction, but not as a stand alone, that said, it is important to have the basics well covered. A large powerful skimmer is the staple in my opinion, with any type of ULNS. Routine maintenance, cleaning, and testing, and above all, observation is a staple requirement. Once in place, light dosing to break the system in is recommended to ease your way in. I think the biological media helps expand the bio filtration, this along side of heavy skimming in most cases is sufficient. The stack method is for those wanting the ULNS, and to keep ammonia down, thus nitrate removal as well as carbon to polish the water, and Phosphate Minus too further reduce and maintain N&P relationship with both being quite low. Yes, these systems are capable of hybridization to a degree, assuming one understands the product from both of these manufacturers. Cheers

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
Unread 06/19/2017, 12:07 PM   #10
Davidb6
Registered Member

You have been a big help, thanks - It sounds like if I go with a Bubble king skimmer and a reactor for the 3 stack along with good basic reef keeping maintenance I should be fine.

I'm planning on 135 gal with rock (will be seeded with AF), 1" to 1.5" sand bed (not live), 2 filter socks, bubble king skimmer, brick (s), reactor with 3 stack, 35x circulation, Aquaforest system with probiotic salt

Last edited by Davidb6; 06/19/2017 at 12:27 PM.
Unread 06/19/2017, 03:15 PM   #11
plyle02
Registered Member

Quote:
You have been a big help, thanks - It sounds like if I go with a Bubble king skimmer and a reactor for the 3 stack along with good basic reef keeping maintenance I should be fine.

I'm planning on 135 gal with rock (will be seeded with AF), 1" to 1.5" sand bed (not live), 2 filter socks, bubble king skimmer, brick (s), reactor with 3 stack, 35x circulation, Aquaforest system with probiotic salt

Yes,
With the bricks, you can PM me I will explain which, it dissolved into virtually nothing, and left a mess in my tank. For this, I now only use siporax, matrix, or my personal favorite, Life Bio Fil. I like the skimmer choice, should do well for you. While I am not a huge fan of filter socks, they do keep detritus from gathering in the sump, makes maintenance much easier. This will also keep media from clogging and losing efficiency. FWIW, I like using a reactor like Zeolite Reactor for stacking, because you can remove the basket with media for easy swap out. I used the Vertex Zeolite 1.5 liter myself, and loved it! This way I could leave the reactor in the sump with the flow set the same, and simply pull the basket out, this way I did not unplug cords and deal with the entire reactor being removed for media swap outs, works well. Just my experience

Unread 06/19/2017, 06:32 PM   #12
Davidb6
Registered Member

Such a great help, thanks again for the time and info.

"I now only use siporax, matrix, or my personal favorite, Life Bio Fil."

Looks like siporax is best used stacked in the sump, matrix is best used in a good flow area like a canister or reactor...how is Life Bio best used?

Unread 06/20/2017, 05:09 AM   #13
plyle02
Registered Member

Bio Fil is same material as matrix, pumice. It is pre-loaded with bacteria, the major advantage that it works as soon as it hits the water, versus several weeks to seed other medias. I prefer reactor, but in my current system, I have space constraints, using an AIO system, I have to use media basket with mesh bags for all medias passively.

Unread 06/22/2017, 05:22 AM   #14
Davidb6
Registered Member

Got it - reactor for AquaForest Life Bio...or bags if not enough room

I think you just helped me finalize my new design....thank you!

Unread 06/22/2017, 08:16 AM   #15
plyle02
Registered Member

Awesome, best of luck on the new design!!!

Unread 06/26/2017, 08:30 AM   #16
Davidb6
Registered Member

Dumb question if you don't mind another -

Lets assume a sump with a - skimmer, reactor for triple stack and a reactor for the bio fil.

Why do I see reactors plumbed between the return pump and the tank? Why not just just run the reactors (like the skimmer) on its own pump and leave the return pump to do its primary job?

Unread 07/03/2017, 04:11 PM   #17
Davidb6
Registered Member

Bump

Unread 07/05/2017, 07:21 AM   #18
Anirban
Registered Member

Quote:
Dumb question if you don't mind another -

Lets assume a sump with a - skimmer, reactor for triple stack and a reactor for the bio fil.

Why do I see reactors plumbed between the return pump and the tank? Why not just just run the reactors (like the skimmer) on its own pump and leave the return pump to do its primary job?
I run my system reactors like that. I have one that contains a bit of carbon and zeolite, the other one contain siporax. I run them on their own pump. So, if you wish you can do that too. I have a manifold with 4 outlet connected to my return pump but i dont like running it for reactors. Earlier I used to run one reactor connected to the manifold but since I am using 2 of them I run them on a separate pump.

Anirban is offline   Reply With Quote