Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/10/2017, 07:27 AM   #26
reefgeezer
Registered Member

Thanks all. No miracles I guess. I'll stay with a shorter version of my QT process. I just can't rely on luck. Hopefully I can QT in groups to short the stocking period even further.

Current Tank Info: In-process, 90 Gallon SPS Reef
reefgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/10/2017, 07:36 PM   #27
FirstContact
Registered Member

I've never quarantined. Been doing this since 2006. My oldest fish is my clown from 2007. I am on my first blue tang and purple tang which I've had for years along with a Jansen's wrasse. All first time fish. I'm on my second black cap basslet. First one got chased into the overflow years ago by a coral decimating pygmy angel that went back to the LFS. I lost a couple of fish to jumping before I put a net over my tank, and a few to poor husbandry(inappropriate for other tank members due to size or real estate or aggression). All of those were generally smaller. Some of the fish were fresh water dipped, but not all. The corals and fish go straight into the tank after acclimation. Some corals received iodine dips. I've never had ich, red velvet, or anything more dangerous than some aiptasia. After upgrading tanks I added one more fish but got rid of all the aiptasia during the upgrade.

I only added inhabitants from the LFS stores I've trusted based on perceived conditions in their aquariums and the general healthiness of their livestock. I've also added corals picked up at clubs. I've been very lucky and plan on quarantining all new additions coral, fish, or otherwise to my upgrade. Just not sure how or when I will treat the fish I already have.

Current Tank Info: 120g Reef 100g Rubbermaid Sump, 20g Refugium; previous tank: 46g Drilled; Self Plumbed, Birds Nest, Anchor, Xenia, Zoas, Yuma Yuma Ricordea, Chalice, Mushrooms, Brain, Acan, Anenome Plate; Clams, Other Inverts, Fish, Live Rock

Last edited by FirstContact; 07/10/2017 at 07:53 PM.
FirstContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2017, 02:25 PM   #28
Alexraptor
Registered Member

Never quarantined, had one really bad bout with Ich many years ago in which I lost the animals trying to treat the outbreak in an unprepared tank. =/
Otherwise I've pretty much been in the clear, like others I try to avoid buying from systems with ailing fish, and my big fancy in more recent years has been Mandarin Dragonets anyway which are a bit more resistant against external parasites.

I "should" have a QT, but sadly just don't have the space for one. =/

Alexraptor is offline   Reply With Quote