Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/26/2017, 08:03 PM   #1
BarIzoN
Registered Member

First shipment from Live Aquaria - What to do?

Hi,

I'm receiving my first coral shipment from Live Aquaria tomorrow...

What do you recommend as initial procedures?

Should Injust regularly acclimate the corals and introduce to the tank?

Should I go for a Bayer dip?

Does coral requires/needs quarantine?

I always bought my livestock from a local LFS. I paid a "premium" price for corals and fish based on their care. They quarantine fish and the display tanks looks great.

However, my last frag I acquired there added Cyano and luckly I found an Aipitasia nested on my GSP. I promptly killed the Aipitasia, then I tried my best to get rid of Cyano naturally, controlling nutrients, monitoring parameters and doing more frequently water changes. Even a 3 day blackout I tried. No success.

Then, as my last resort, I decided to use ChemiClean. I just finished the treatment and it was a success.

With that said, I decided go on a lower price from Live Aquaria, if I'm on a risk to introduce something, at least I'm not paying premium price.

I do have a 55G sumpless tank, with one year and half, no quarantine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BarIzoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2017, 08:35 PM   #2
Snarky Shark
Registered Member

I like to dip using coral rx.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Snarky Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2017, 08:45 PM   #3
karimwassef
Registered Member

Always dip coral (I use Bayer). Always quarantine.

Cyano doesn't come from coral. It comes from local nutrient sources with poor circulation.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/26/2017, 09:31 PM   #4
BarIzoN
Registered Member

For how long the quarantine should happen for coral?

I can go to Petco and buy a small QT tank...

You add water from the main tank or simply plain mixed (salt) water??

Sorry, but I've never quarantined / dipped any coral or fish...

I also saw an air pump with an airstone...

Thank you!!

Unread 07/26/2017, 10:02 PM   #5
anthonys51
Registered Member.

You need good light for coral qt tank. This is why most of use don't even bother with a coral qt tank. Plus if your going to qt corals. You really need to keep them separate for 72 days. Imo it's simple not worth the time or the money. Why buying frags I simple Inspect the frag and throw it in. Lps really don't have any pest on them that I am concerned about. Cryno is in all tanks it simple comes out when conditions are rights. I actually think cryno is one of the most abundant things on this earth. I see you have wrasses. They will kill most pest that are on most frags. I know some will say dip everything. And if that's your cup of tea. Do it but I haven't dipped a coral in 6 years and haven't lost a coral to a pest. I killed a lot over the last 6 years. Think I should dip to protect the corals from me

anthonys51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2017, 12:02 AM   #6
karimwassef
Registered Member

Dipping doesn't kill eggs. Nudis usually come in as eggs.

If you get nudis in your tank ... it's toast. If you don't have many corals of that species, you can take the risk. I made the mistake of taking in a monti into a tank full of monti... I don't have montis any more... Any that survived the purge, I personally scrape off because of that experience to ensure that no nudis are given quarter.

You need a week to see if they hatch and dip before they lay more eggs.

Coral can survive a week with poor light... as long as alkalinity is right. You can get small lights.

I would use your tank water and just oxygenate. Just remove a bucket a day and add back from the tank.

In my case, I just run a pump and tube. One tube from the quarantine to a drain,.. and another from the DT to the quarantine. Once a day, I turn the pumps for 30 seconds.

I have a big tank, so the little water I steal doesn't matter. You may need to find your own way of doing it.

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape

Last edited by karimwassef; 07/27/2017 at 08:26 AM.
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2017, 08:01 AM   #7
BarIzoN
Registered Member

Oh wooww!

Thanks a lot for the insights!! Really appreciate.

That's true, on my research about Cyano, basically that was something that might be started the oxygen on Earth! It's something fantastic if you think about it. But unfortunately it doesn't look good in a fish tank...

I'll take a close look in how these corals will come... I'll prepare a bayer dip but I'll not go for a quarantine. Simply because I had no prep time - I just decided and "impulsively" bought the corals. I don't have enough footprint to take water out of tank in that fashion way, but I'll soon plan and build a qt / hospital on my basement, where I have my "lab" (my wife calls it lab) and my mixing station.

I'm still a beginner, learning a lot and passionate about the hobby!

- BarIzoN -

Unread 07/27/2017, 09:13 AM   #8
imjdoggie
Registered Member

I made the mistake of not dipping then had a nudibranch issue...........it was a royal pita to get rid of them so definitely dip. I learned my lesson the hard way unfortunately.

imjdoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2017, 10:28 AM   #9
JWClark
Registered Member

All good advice. I shut down my 450 and restarted because of nudis and now QT everything. Got them from a Divers Den maricultured coral. I dip with coral RX upon receipt and once a week for 4 weeks at least to ensure I am getting any that hatch from eggs. Believe flatworm eggs take 21 days to hatch--had these too probably from a seller here, or Divers Den.

Current Tank Info: Reefer 450 seed tank for the retirement 315gal Reef Savvy build.
JWClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/29/2017, 09:06 PM   #10
BarIzoN
Registered Member

Just a FYI.

I did the Bayer dip and it seems worked OK.

The hardest part was to find a "golden proportion". There's NO standard on timing / quantity.

What I did was 150ml for 2 liters of water for about 10 minutes...

I also had 3 containers with water from the tank.

10 minutes first bucket, 5 minutes the second and stored in the third bucket. All of this shaking a little the frags.

After the dip, I was able to see only a single worm dead and nothing else caught my attention.

Also, inspected with a magnifier lens and an LED light for eggs on the base / crevices on the rock (I ordered a small Yellow Polyp colony, which came in a rock).

I introduced then in the tank, everything seems to be OK. At first they were in shock, and after a few hours, I saw some polyp extension, a soft coral went "up" and a few Yellow Polyp opened...

After a couple days, everybody was in a full blown and looking healthy.

Only one comment: I have 4 Emerald Crabs, and I think one did molten over the Yellow Polyp, leaving its skeleton there... Not sure if it's a molten or if it died there, maybe trying to eat something... The stranger part is that he's with his butt to the rock and paws down to the sand...

I'll post a few pics later...

Again, thanks for all the valuable tips! I'm ready for the next coral batch now!

- BarIzoN -

Unread 07/29/2017, 11:22 PM   #11
BarIzoN
Registered Member

Some pics from the new inhabitants...