Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/02/2017, 11:04 AM   #51
Goubli
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoVols View Post
lol

It's been a while since I have updated, but only because there's been nothing to update. I honestly cannot believe that I've had a dry tank in my house for 3 months!

This week will be the week it finally gets filled, and I must say I am excited.

I still need to hang the Giesemann and I'm currently awaiting the hanging brackets.

Last night I got my Tonga mini flakes.

I found out my Venturi part of my skimmer pump was broken, so I ordered a replacement.

What do people do with open top aquariums as far as dust control? I get a fair amount of dust here. Is it kind of a minimal issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goubli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/02/2017, 08:46 PM   #52
Goubli
Registered Member

Also, I have started the filling process!!

It's happening!

Unread 04/03/2017, 07:33 PM   #53
Goubli
Registered Member

Got some solid work done today. Another 25 gallons filled, and I've arranged help for hanging the Giesemann. I had ordered these brackets for the wall

Unfortunately, they will not work because in order to center the light I need 5" spacers. I think that would look poor, so I'm going to hope I can do it from ceiling. I'll need a little luck that I don't run into the edge of a stud.

Here's a look at my light and the bulbs I currently have. Any advice on the order I should place them from front to back?

Unread 04/05/2017, 10:51 AM   #54
deleau
Registered Member

Thanks for the updates...

Man, every picture of that paint job is amazing! That is so cool looking!

Current Tank Info: 258g (72.5x30x27.5), 4x Radion Gen3 Pro, 2x Hamilton Aruba Sun V Series (4x Blue Plus 80W), 2x Vortech MP40WQD, Apex Gold + WXM, Dreambox 5d, Bubble King Supermarin 200, Red Dragon 3 150W, Tunze 3155, Finnex Ti 800W
deleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2017, 10:21 AM   #55
Goubli
Registered Member

Thanks! I'm loving the paint job more and more. It looks sick now that I've got my scape done. Went to a reef club meeting, which was very informative. The guy who runs the Long Island aquarium spoke about his 20,000 gallon reef. Great info from him.

But this is a build thread, and I'm the same as everyone else-I wanna see pics!

Without further adieu:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 04/11/2017, 09:12 AM   #56
SPR1968
Registered Member

Just wondering why you have the heater in the display section? Rather than the sump were you can't see it?

Or do you like heaters ? Lol!

Current Tank Info: 2016 Red Sea Max S 650 LED Black Reef Tank
SPR1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2017, 10:01 AM   #57
Goubli
Registered Member

It's in the display because the tank isn't completely filled yet. I went to plug in my return last night and it isn't working. I don't know what's up w it.

The heater won't be in the display one the tank is running.

Unread 04/11/2017, 11:25 PM   #58
SPR1968
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goubli View Post
It's in the display because the tank isn't completely filled yet. I went to plug in my return last night and it isn't working. I don't know what's up w it.

The heater won't be in the display one the tank is running.
Oh ok.

Have you installed the 4 rear circulation pumps? I can see just holes in one picture but not sure if there showing in the recent ones.

Unread 04/12/2017, 08:38 PM   #59
Goubli
Registered Member

So, there is an issue with my return pump that I cannot seem to rectify. The pump is clean, but it basically just hums and locks up.

I ordered a new ecotech vectra 2000g/hr DC pump that I should get by Friday evening. I'm hoping I can solve the Red Sea pump issue so I can have a spare return on hand.

I have only put one of the 4 closed loop pumps in the tank as the others are sitting in vinegar baths and used for circulation in my mix up Brute can.

Right now the parameters in the display water is SG 1.023, nitrate 0-2, phosphate 0.03!

All I need to do is let some evaporation occur and then I'll check my Mg, Ca, Alk, and pH.

I'm just patiently enjoying the process. I added some flex tubing to clean up the Giesemann wiring, but I am about 95% sure I will be painting it the same color as the wall. I think it will look cleaner.

It actually doesn't look too bad in the grey.

What do you all think of that idea?
Also, I'm thinking I may start out with some scarlet reef hermits probably this Sunday if I can get my circulation pump figured out.

Unread 04/13/2017, 05:05 AM   #60
Mark9
Registered Member

Looking great, love that paint job!

Mark9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2017, 09:53 AM   #61
Goubli
Registered Member

Ok, I finally got the water level full. I still have some flow issues to sort out and quiet the system down. Skimmer going a little bananas, but it should break in over the weekend I'd hope.

The previous owner is going to stop over to help educate me on the electrical setup and with my Apex. I've noticed I have a light dusting of white film on the bare bottom right now. I think its from some of the Lanthanum chloride-phosphate precipitate that did not rinse off prior to placing it in the display.

I guess I'll try to see if I can siphon it through a filter sock.

I still need to hook up three of the closed loop pumps on the back wall.

I feel like it needs some life! Maybe a few scarlet reef hermits by the end of the weekend? I also still haven't programmed the light how I want it.

I am considering doing a vertical mount of the gyre also.

Unread 04/18/2017, 09:07 PM   #62
Goubli
Registered Member

Let's collaborate on a RSM-S 650 (138g new setup)!

Ok, so I got more stuff up and going. All the pumps in the back are in place, skimmer is running, lights are set on a schedule, but there's still quite a bit I need to do.

Still need to get the apex probes up and running. I'm trying to decide if I want to buy the add on display screen or use a tablet. I also bought an ecotech vectra M1 but the outlet is larger than the female adapter configured for the return. At this point, it's going to be a project to get the pumps switched out.

This past Friday I got a couple of small astrea snails and 8 scarlet reef hermits. Not much action from them over the weekend, and they aren't moving around much. They are alive though. I also bought some zoas from a local breaking down their tank. I also picked up a favia because who doesn't like a nice favia?

I'll see how everything fares over the next couple weeks while I continue to fine tune everything. I finished my fish list today, so I'll make a separate post for that topic. I'm ready to get a fish, but need to decide on proper order.

One question for those that have these tanks-what is your experience with the drainpipe noise? I have it dialed in to be silent, but every 10-20 min it seems that a rush of water starts making noise for maybe 5-10 seconds and then it goes back to silent. Is this normal or can it be dialed in better? Maybe it's related to my gyre cycling?

Here's some pics of the corals

Unread 04/19/2017, 10:35 AM   #63
SPR1968
Registered Member

On the down pipe, if you have the water level were they recommend, on the first marker of the right hand viewing window, if it drops slightly you will get a gurgling rushing noise if that's what's happening.

My tank always wants to run with the water level near to, or at the level, were it flows down the backup downpipe tube (off the scale on the marker).To be honest it hardly makes any difference if any to the water noise and it means that I never get the gurgling which is good if I'm away etc.

Unless of course it's related to whatever other 'non standard' flows your running etc.

Unread 04/19/2017, 08:15 PM   #64
droog
Registered Member

+1 I have Max S 500. The overflow is completely silent, but I do keep the water level very close to the emergency drain. You need to make the downpipe adjustment in very small steps (5 mins on a clock face) and wait a few minutes after each adjustment.

I took out the closed loop pumps on the back wall. I think they created more heat than flow and I don't like the fixed flow they generate. If you're setting up a gyre flow, you might be better to leave them out, or maybe just run one.

For me the tank was very good and easy to setup. I think the weakest point was the sump. If I had the chance, I would swap out the stock sump for something bigger and run a fuge.

-droog

droog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2017, 01:11 PM   #65
Goubli
Registered Member

It's been a while since last update. I agree that the sump is a weak point of the setup. How do you get around not using the closed circuit pumps? My surface skimming doesn't work nearly as well as when those pumps are on. It would be sweet if the Gyre was able to have its outside magnet sealed for submersion. Then you could orient two on the back for killer flow ability.

I don't have pics on this iPad but will work on getting some more soon.

Since last update I've had my initial diatom/brown algae bloom. Added a flame hawk and blue chromis (which I think is now dead). I bought a bunch more snails on Sunday to start eating the algae. More importantly, I got some Chaeto from Stolireef. I've been using some Acurel Phosphate pads. I think I may combine with an acurel carbon pad. I'm probably going to order the Tunze submersible LED refugium light. I saw Stolireef's, and as long as my compartment is 12" I can fit it. Chaeto was my nutrient export plan of choice when setting the system up.

I still haven't actually set up my APEX
But it's another fun thing I can look forward to this weekend. I haven't tested my water in a while, but will do so soon. I'm hoping to get my routine, equipment, and organization down.

I love my flame hawk. It's bad ***. Who do you guys recommend for building a custom screen top? I'd like one to be able have a door to open for feeding.

Unread 04/25/2017, 01:40 PM   #66
TideFluxFlo
Registered Member

I'm really interested in your plumbing of closed loop system, seen lot a different methods...Would appreciate a look or diagram of under the hood!

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

TideFluxFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/25/2017, 02:00 PM   #67
krazysvede
Registered Member

Love the paint on the stand, the tanks looking good!

-Ian
krazysvede is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2017, 10:21 AM   #68
Goubli
Registered Member

So it's been a while since I've updated. Lots of goings on and observations. I am definitely doing my best to enjoy the slow progress of this setup. I'm really making the effort to keep a journal with observations, test results, and problems/solutions.

I will say that I am so glad that I have lots of books to supplement what hobbyists say on the forums. It is very nice to have references to go to for additional knowledge and to confirm thought processes.

I bought an M1 ecotech return, but it's actually not a good pump for return for my setup. By the time I buy appropriate plumbing it will provide less overall flow that what I have now. So, I'm going to return that and get the L1. I have also found that the way the stand is configured, although is a nice design and I get what Red Sea was attempting, it is not the way I would design it. Also, I still have some issues with the sump due to it not really having a good area to grow Chaeto/run a refugium. Again, this will only help me in the future with the design of the next system.

So far, I love the Giesemann fixture. The Tunze led fuge light seems to have the potential to overcome some of the sump limitations. I'll have to see if my Chaeto growth does what I want it to do. The compartment in the sump is not that big and so I am unsure if it will be large enough as a ratio to my overall system's water to pull out enough nutrients. Time will tell.

I do have the algae in the display coming under better control. Snails are doing a good job, and I definitely am under stocked based on the clean up crew calculations would say. I am finding that my glass gets coated fairly quickly. Last test on Sunday was P at 0.04 and nitrates less than 4 but greater than zero. Alk checked in at 7.1 dKH

I finally got APEX up and running but nothing programmed. For some reason the salinity probe did not calibrate so I guess I'll need to call Apex to get that solved. I have consistently been at 35/1.026. My temp seems to be a bit of an issue as well. I am always hanging around 80. Sometimes I'm just under or over. I would like to have it sitting around 78-79 heading into the summer here in AZ. I've turned the heater down to 78, but I think I'm getting some heat from the submerged LED in sump.

I've added some seachem alk supplement, and I am thinking that I may start to use Kalk for top off and pH raising. I've never used Kalk but its obviously proven. My concern there is my auto top off is gravity fed and I wouldn't want any of the precipitate to get into the system. It appears my top off water will last around 3-5 days (still not sure, so I need to get that number nailed down first) which would be fine for a batch of Kalk.

To anyone that uses kalk, do you think if I mixed the batch and then just poured that in the precipitate would stay in the mixed container, or will the liquid have more precipitate out over the course of a few days while sitting in the top off chamber?

I am starting to see some first signs of corralline this week. I also picked up some more Zoas and an Allen's damsel. I really like the damsel.

As far as the closed loop question-basically there is a chamber just behind the back glass that runs along a large portion of the tank. There are 4 smaller pumps that then flow directly back into the tank via adjustable nozzles. I am still most likely going to buy another gyre so I can run them on lower settings. It's definitely the best water movement I've had even including my sea swirl.

Ok, sorry for long post. Here are some pics for everyone's patience.

Unread 05/04/2017, 10:24 AM   #69
Goubli
Registered Member

Unread 05/06/2017, 01:29 AM   #70
SPR1968
Registered Member

All looking very good. It's also interesting to see different sump set ups with the skimmers etc. Mine was new so originally I had it set up as per the instructions.

I've changed the skimmer to a NYOS 160, but put it back were the original one was at the back were your chaeto is. A pain to reach. So I think I might move it to the front left hand side as seems much better.

Unread 06/09/2017, 03:20 PM   #71
Goubli
Registered Member

UPDATE:

It's really been a long time since any updates, so I'm gonna try and get this thread back up and running.

Lately, I've been frustrated with pH and some algae issues. I've used CO2 absorbent but it doesn't last very long, and I've still never been able to get pH over 7.95.

I've manually removed Chaeto (last night being most recent). And I've now switched the refugium light to being on almost 24/7. I can't tell if the space the Chaeto fills up is just inadequate volume to filter the tank volume. I suspect it is not. On the plus side, my fish all seem fine. The zoas mostly all open.

I have added more fish which has made these early weeks much more enjoyable. I think I'm sort of taking the approach of trying to stock up my fish load and then getting everything into an equilibrium as far as biological filtration.

After that I will stock up sps. I'm considering perhaps getting some softies in the meantime just to give the tank a more "alive" feel.

I'm gonna do a thorough testing today and plan my first water change ever for this setup.

I'm gonna go to the AZ Frag meeting tomorrow so I hope maybe to see/meet some of you there?

I'm having trouble posting pics

Unread 06/09/2017, 03:23 PM   #72
Goubli
Registered Member

Unread 06/10/2017, 01:00 AM   #73
fishresponse
Registered Member

Looking real good

265g w/ 20" synergy overflow box
Hamilton Cebu MH/T5 fixture w/ 250w Radium bulbs
SPS/LPS mix | 30g (long) refugium with cheato | 40g sump
fishresponse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/13/2017, 09:51 PM   #74
Goubli
Registered Member

Thanks! The tang is constantly nipping on algae which is nice. I think I may need to set up a GFO reactor even though I was really hoping not to.

I also may start my two part dosing for alk stability and helping get some coralline going.

Unread 06/14/2017, 02:18 AM   #75
TangingOut
Registered Member

Looks like you re-painted your stand. What happened there?

TangingOut is offline   Reply With Quote