Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/30/2017, 07:16 AM   #1
adrianreece
Registered Member

60 Gallon Mixed Reef Build Thread

I wanted to start a thread to track the progress of my 60 gallon build. I have had a 60g saltwater tank for a couple years now with three Green Spotted puffers. My wife and I are moving to Virginia from South Dakota in a couple of weeks so I thought it would be a good time for a fresh start with the tank. I love the puffers to death, but it is time for them to find a new home. I took them in to a local reef shop that is very well taken care of. I thought about moving them, but the trip is going to take 2 days just to drive there, and it was going to be a hassle trying to keep them alive along the way. The other reason why I decided to get rid of them is because they are aggressive as all hell! Once they got big enough, they eventually ate the entire clean up crew, so I couldn't have anything else in the tank with them. My breaking point, was when I was feeding them one day, one puffer "accidentally" bit the other puffer on the face because he was trying to steal the piece of food that it had, and he ended up eating the other puffer's eye. YEAH, THE ENTIRE EYE!!! The "pirate" puffer ended up making it another day before dying. This was very disappointing, as I had them all for about two years. It was pretty sad. So, now that they are finding a new home, I will have the chance to start fresh. I want to have a mixed reef tank with a few various fish, inverts, and corals.

My current setup is a 60 gallon with a BRS dual reactor and HOB skimmer. I am having a new stand built and installing a 20 gallon long sump to house the equipment.

Equipment List:
Marineland 60 Gallon tank
Aqueon 20 gallon long sump
Jebao wp-25 wave pump
Hydor powerhead
Bubble Magus Curve 5 Skimmer
BRS dual reactor with MJ1200 pump
Lifeguard quiet one pro 2200 (594 gph) return pump
Glass-Holes 700 GPH overflow
Glass-holes 3/4" return w/loc line
Current USA Orbit Marine LED lights
1) 200w heater
1) 100w heater
Hydor Smart ATO

Keeping a saltwater tank has been quite a learning experience for me, and I know I still have a lot to learn, but that is the fun part. I am looking forward to being part of such a knowledgeable community! Here are some pictures of my current setup (that i'm taking down to move) and my drawings of the new stand and sump.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160918_121420.jpg (72.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Tank setup rendering 1.jpg (38.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Tank setup rendering 2.jpg (43.5 KB, 25 views)
adrianreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/07/2017, 06:21 AM   #2
adrianreece
Registered Member

Well, I finally got my glass cut for the sump and got it put together. I was very pleased that it passed a water test! After the 4th I got around to breaking the fish tank down. I got rid of my sand and scrubbed my live rock and set it out to dry. I will have to cycle the tank anyways when I get it up again, so I think it will be easiest this way.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (68.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 5.JPG (86.6 KB, 26 views)
Unread 07/11/2017, 06:51 AM   #3
adrianreece
Registered Member

I spent the last couple days drilling and painting the back of the tank. I got my plumbing 90% finished and I will finish the rest when I am setting the tank up with the new sump and stand.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (33.8 KB, 31 views)
Unread 07/22/2017, 07:06 AM   #4
adrianreece
Registered Member

Finally Moved

Big Update! We finally moved out to Fairfax, VA on Tuesday and got settled in enough so that I could begin setting up the tank and sump with the new stand my Dad built me for my birthday. I did a tap water leak test, and found the elbow coming off my return bulkhead was leaking a little bit, so I fixed that and all was well. Then, I added all the equipment into the sump and ran the wires (messy, I know) so the outlets were up above and out of the way. Next, I stacked the rock using TLF reef putty in places, and then added the sand around them. I want to get a goby down the line sometime, so I made sure the rocks were sitting on the glass. I started filling the tank yesterday, and I should finish filling it today, as my RO/DI unit takes 2 hours to make 5 gallons since the water pressure is lower here.

Question on cycling-
Does anyone know any pros/cons to a "classic" cycle with a grocery store shrimp, vs cycling with seachem stability? Last time I set this tank up, I used stability and added fish the day after, with no ill effects. I just want to make sure that is okay, and if not, I will go the "classic" route.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (37.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 6.JPG (39.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (56.2 KB, 19 views)
Unread 07/22/2017, 07:17 AM   #5
ALLIDOISREEF
Registered Member

Welcome to VA, we've got a few really good LFS in the area. As well as a great local club. WAMAS.

You can do either, you just need to make sure your tank is processing the ammonia before adding fish.

ALLIDOISREEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/27/2017, 04:06 PM   #6
adrianreece
Registered Member

I am moving this thread to the tank journals and builds section for anybody interested: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...1#post25160321