Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/24/2017, 05:55 PM   #1
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Six pack of zebrasomas

My favorite of the tangs, I just completed my 'collection' and now have one of each species .... Well, if one considers the two Sailfins as one (which I do). Black is the most recent, sourced locally form a fellow reefer. Been trying the same thing with the leopard wrasses, but that's proving trickier (up to 4 so far).

What tangs do you all have?

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/24/2017, 07:38 PM   #2
scuzy
Registered Member

I would love to get a gem and purple to add to my yellow and black. But as of tight now think I have enough tangs. Achilles hybrid, Chevron, black and talk yellows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2017, 11:12 AM   #3
illumnae
Registered Member

I have 3 Zebrasoma tangs at the moment - black, gem and black-scopas hybrid. Very tempted to add an aberrant scopes but afraid to tip the balance. I also have 2 polyzona and 1 white tail bristletooth in the tank.

illumnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2017, 12:18 PM   #4
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

More pics!

My one and only tang... haven't owned a tang in over 5 years until I came upon this little one for a once in a lifetime deal...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2017, 12:39 PM   #5
Dromon
Registered Member

Congratulations on your collection Ca1ore!

I have zero because I have red macroalgae in my tank and I don't want a tang to eat it.

Dromon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2017, 06:13 PM   #6
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
I have 3 Zebrasoma tangs at the moment - black, gem and black-scopas hybrid. Very tempted to add an aberrant scopes but afraid to tip the balance. I also have 2 polyzona and 1 white tail bristletooth in the tank.
Nice! I have a zebra also, though reluctant to put it into the main display for fear that my Achilles will beat it to death. Currently residing in the refugium.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
Unread 06/26/2017, 05:39 AM   #7
alton
Registered Member

Black and two purples

alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2017, 12:19 PM   #8
m0nkie
Registered Member

very nice!

I currently have a purple, 3 yellow, and a convict tang..

hoping to add some other ones soon. gem tang would be awesome if I can find one under $1000 local

Unread 06/26/2017, 06:35 PM   #9
IdahoCindy
Registered Member

sailfin, hippo, yellow, purple in my 220. Puppy dogs, all of them.

IdahoCindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2017, 10:10 PM   #10
d-man
Registered Member

Gem, black, purple, and yellow for my zebras.
Fowleri, mustard, dussumieri, and naso for my others

d-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2017, 01:42 PM   #11
mrhighline
Registered Member

Purple, White Tail Bristle tooth, Hippo, Yellow (x2), Sailfin, Tomini so far spread out in 3 tanks.

mrhighline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2017, 09:38 PM   #12
LobsterOfJustice
Recovering Detritophobe

Six pack of zebrasomas

Man, I forgot how piggy these fish are. This new little one has been in my tank for a week and by yesterday she had such a belly on her that she was "waddling" while swimming lol. I got used to the angels and butterflies that pick at food and are much tougher to get a belly on. Gonna have to start strategically feeding the tank things she won't eat (i.e. too small) for half the feedings...

Ca1ore, drop some nori in there and see if you can get a shot of all 6!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember when zoanthids were called things like "green" and "orange" and not "reverse gorilla nipple."

Current Tank Info: 180g reef with all the bells and whistles
LobsterOfJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/27/2017, 11:19 PM   #13
McPuff
Registered Member

In my 300 DD:

Naso literatus
Zebrasoma scopas
Acanthurus tennenti (Lieutenant)
Acanthurus pyroferus (mimic/chocolate)

Also have a foxface (Siganus vulpinus) - not a tang, but pretty darn similar. :0)

For the most part, they get along ok... but the Lieutenant will give chase to the chocolate on occasion. I certainly don't think I could safely add another tang at this point. The same would be true of wrasses - ruby headed wrasse is the size of a perch and would likely kill a newbie (the solar and melanurus are fine though).

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2017, 03:32 AM   #14
illumnae
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Nice! I have a zebra also, though reluctant to put it into the main display for fear that my Achilles will beat it to death. Currently residing in the refugium.
Might end up being the other way around, polyzonas are super aggressive! I had a small one previously that killed an Achilles/Goldrim hybrid and a regal angel 3x its size.

illumnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2017, 04:31 AM   #15
johnike
Moved On

I have Purple x2, Yellow x2, huge Desjardini, Tomini, Convict, Hippo, and Chevron.

johnike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/28/2017, 07:02 AM   #16
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
Might end up being the other way around, polyzonas are super aggressive! I had a small one previously that killed an Achilles/Goldrim hybrid and a regal angel 3x its size.
That's interesting. Mine is on the mellow side, co-exisiting with a naso and black. Wouldn't want the polyzona to kill my Achilles either

Unread 07/01/2017, 07:16 AM   #17
kmbyrnes
Registered Member

Nice.
I have a yellow in the reef. The FOWLR has a Desjardini, Chevron, Powder Blue and Naso. Puppy dogs until feeding time. Then its every fish for him/her self!

Current Tank Info: Too small
kmbyrnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/03/2017, 11:15 PM   #18
andywar
Registered Member

I'm trying to keep 2 yellows, and 1 purple. All of them introduced within 24 hours. The 2 yellows were together in a tank at the LFS for 3 weeks, with no fights - had to get them. And the purple was introduced the previous afternoon.

I released the purple in the right side, and the other 2 on the left side. Now those sides seem as their natural secure places.

It's been one week, and everything seems ok. The purple sometimes tries to bully the smaller yellow by swimming back and try to get him back to his side. For now, no fins bitting, or strong aggression.

If the purple, gets more aggressive, I'll place him in the acclamation box for a couple of days.

I know I still have to continue closely monitoring their behaviors, to avoid kaos.

Any one has suggestions, or learnings that could help me improve my odds of success. I really love this trio!

Ideas, comment, are appreciated!!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

andywar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/04/2017, 12:00 AM   #19
scuzy
Registered Member

Use mirrors. Tape them on both ends

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2017, 04:57 AM   #20
andywar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
Use mirrors. Tape them on both ends
I'm try that, thanks scuzy.
Two weeks today and the 3 are still alive.
Purple continues to bully.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

andywar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2017, 06:59 AM   #21
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Although it varies by individual, the purple is typically the most aggressive of the zebras.

Unread 07/06/2017, 07:04 AM   #22
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywar View Post
I'll place him in the acclamation box for a couple of days.
Is that where the rest of the fish gather round and applaud the newcomer

Unread 07/06/2017, 06:07 PM   #23
Andrew D
Registered Member

Finally, a thread I don't feel guilty admitting to my love of tangs. I have 11 in a 360G - 3 yellows, a purple, a naso, a blue regal, a powder blue, a yellow eyed kole, a sohal, an achilles and a fowleri. All a decent size, with the sohal the smallest (and meanest) at about 4 inches. I also have a magnificent foxface in my connected frag which I was intending to transfer but it seems too timid to survive in the display.

Current Tank Info: 350G DT, 700G system including in-line mantis, anemone and frag tanks
Andrew D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2017, 11:30 PM   #24
inktomi
Aviator

I've got an Achillies, Yellow Eyed Kole, and Yellow tang in my 270g. The achillies rules with an iron fin!

inktomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2017, 11:35 PM   #25
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew D View Post
Finally, a thread I don't feel guilty admitting to my love of tangs. I have 11 in a 360G - 3 yellows, a purple, a naso, a blue regal, a powder blue, a yellow eyed kole, a sohal, an achilles and a fowleri. All a decent size, with the sohal the smallest (and meanest) at about 4 inches. I also have a magnificent foxface in my connected frag which I was intending to transfer but it seems too timid to survive in the display.
Pics or it didn't happen. :0)

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote