Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/25/2017, 02:57 PM   #1
rookie2reef
Registered Member

Powder blue tang

Does anyone have any luck with these in a 120 gal tank I been trying to put one in tank with other tangs but so far no luck ,doesn't eat, gets ich and dies on me.I have one purple tang,yellow tang,2 hippo tangs,other fish are smaller 2 wrasses,firefish,3 anthias,pair of clowns,clean up crew 3 cleaner shrimp,levels are good mixed reef with plenty of hiding spots sps,hammers,torches,zoas,anemone,mushrooms,
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
I even heard stories of these guys being quarantined do great eat and everything then catch icy and die once thrown in main tank

rookie2reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2017, 02:59 PM   #2
brett_schn
Registered Member

Cjs aquarium on YouTube has one and his is fine. I’ll pull up a link later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brett_schn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2017, 03:45 PM   #3
rookie2reef
Registered Member

Cjs tank

Just saw a video of cjs tank on YouTube don't know if it's same tank he has powder blue and powder brown?

Unread 06/25/2017, 03:49 PM   #4
Gweeds
Registered Member

It can only catch ich if you have it in your tank... or if it has it during QT... follow full QT protocols with at least 30 days of copper treatment and run your DT fallow for 76 days whilst treating existing fish for 30 days copper too.

All acanthurus tangs are susceptible to ich more than most other fish... due to a very thin slime coat. Add the parasite attacking to the stress of moving into a new environment and bingo... dead tang.

Treat your existing fish and run DT fallow... once you've eliminated ich, and only then, buy another PBT and QT it properly with 3o days copper... then it should be fine in your DT.

Imo a 120g is a little small for a fully grown PBT so just be aware you may have to move him on at some point... or upgrade lol.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Gweeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2017, 03:54 PM   #5
brett_schn
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie2reef View Post
Just saw a video of cjs tank on YouTube don't know if it's same tank he has powder blue and powder brown?

He had both. He couldn’t keep the brown though

brett_schn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2017, 03:55 PM   #6
rookie2reef
Registered Member

Cjs tank

Unread 06/25/2017, 03:55 PM   #7
anthonys51
Registered Member.

I have one in my 265. I know not the same tank. I bought it off Caribbean blue aquatics in bay shore. I waited a month before I bought mine off of them. They have a few now all been there over 3 weeks. I then put it in my 80 gallon frag tank fir a week then addded it right to my 265. First day it did wig out racing all over the tank but after that it was fine.

anthonys51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/25/2017, 04:12 PM   #8
rookie2reef
Registered Member

Oh ok cause I had tried powder Brown before and he did fine until I did same thing and put powder blue in both of them died would not stop fighting, it's kind of hard for me to quarantine since I won't be able to take fish out without moving all rock out with coral

Unread 06/25/2017, 04:14 PM   #9
rookie2reef
Registered Member

Looks good and healthy Anthony how much were they charging for pbt

Unread 06/25/2017, 04:22 PM   #10
Gweeds
Registered Member

Quote:
Oh ok cause I had tried powder Brown before and he did fine until I did same thing and put powder blue in both of them died would not stop fighting, it's kind of hard for me to quarantine since I won't be able to take fish out without moving all rock out with coral
Without proper QT and a tank free of ich, it's going to be very difficult to keep a PBT for any length of time.

I run an immune system, ie I (intentionally) have ich and manage it's numbers with UV and ensure the fish are resistant through diet and exposure... but I wouldn't recommend it and certainly not for a PBT.

Invest once in the QT and once in ridding of the ich and you'll save hundreds on buying fish which are almost guaranteed to die in the current set up.

Unread 06/25/2017, 04:55 PM   #11
anthonys51
Registered Member.

Quote:
Looks good and healthy Anthony how much were they charging for pbt

Think it was 60-70. I forgot I got it 6 months off

Unread 06/25/2017, 05:48 PM   #12
rookie2reef
Registered Member

Wow 6 months alive definelty healthy lol

Unread 06/25/2017, 05:54 PM   #13
anthonys51
Registered Member.

lol tanks only 8 months. So I'll take it for now

Unread 06/25/2017, 07:39 PM   #14
rookie2reef
Registered Member

Did he eat right away, and were there any other tangs in tank

Unread 06/25/2017, 07:42 PM   #15
anthonys51
Registered Member.

I would only buy a pb tang if I first saw it eat in the store. It ate in the store and ate right away at home got to Caribbean blue. Ask for tony or rea. Tell him Anthony sent you. Watch him feed the pb If they eat buy it

I have 5 other tangs in my tank

Chevron was bigger than it , hippo , blonde naso, yellow kole all smaller

Unread 06/25/2017, 09:18 PM   #16
rookie2reef
Registered Member

Definitely gonna check out store this week nascent been to that one yet, I see you posted up a bubble coral too might be picking that up soon lol

Unread 06/25/2017, 09:19 PM   #17
anthonys51
Registered Member.

Anytime

Unread 06/26/2017, 06:04 AM   #18
Gweeds
Registered Member

Will you be getting another PBT without treating your DT first? I'd wager that the PBT will get ich within a few days and eventually succumb... you might get lucky, but probably not.

Please, please either rid your DT of ich and QT any new additions or stop buying tangs!

Alternatively run a resistant / immune system, but that is not easy and turns accepted reefing practice on its head...

Please don't keep adding PBTs and just hoping they don't get ich... they will, eventually... it might take days, weeks, months or even years, but something at some point will trigger a dip in the immune system and they WILL succumb.

Unread 06/26/2017, 09:33 AM   #19
scooter31707
Registered Member

Quote:
Does anyone have any luck with these in a 120 gal tank I been trying to put one in tank with other tangs but so far no luck ,doesn't eat, gets ich and dies on me.I have one purple tang,yellow tang,2 hippo tangs,other fish are smaller 2 wrasses,firefish,3 anthias,pair of clowns,clean up crew 3 cleaner shrimp,levels are good mixed reef with plenty of hiding spots sps,hammers,torches,zoas,anemone,mushrooms,
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
I even heard stories of these guys being quarantined do great eat and everything then catch icy and die once thrown in main tank
Your own statement might explain why you can't keep one alive. 1 Purple tang, 1 yellow tang, and 2 Hippo tangs. Wow, many tangs in a little 120??

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2017, 09:51 AM   #20
rookie2reef
Registered Member

Tank

Wow that's first time my tank was called tiny lol and I only tried twice within 4-5 years been in hobby,not like I'm just buying fish all the time and letting them die, one was actually giving to me he was in bad shape tried to save him

Unread 06/26/2017, 10:11 AM   #21
Bolivian Ram
Registered Member

Yeah I don't think a PBT will work. Tangs get aggressive with other tangs. Your current tangs maybe a reason it's getting ich and dying. If u want to keep the PBT alive you would have to reduce your Tang population.

Bolivian Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2017, 10:15 AM   #22
anthonys51
Registered Member.

Quote:
Wow that's first time my tank was called tiny lol and I only tried twice within 4-5 years been in hobby,not like I'm just buying fish all the time and letting them die, one was actually giving to me he was in bad shape tried to save him

I kept a yellow hippo and kole and a chevron for 2 years.

It can be done. . Keep hope alive

Unread 06/26/2017, 11:49 AM   #23
scooter31707
Registered Member

Quote:
A 120 is a nice size tank, but when you put that many tangs in that size tank, it becomes small and that's when aggression and stress takes over.

scooter31707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/26/2017, 11:53 AM   #24
rookie2reef
Registered Member

My tangs barely fight they kind of school together after they eat

Unread 06/26/2017, 11:57 AM   #25
anthonys51
Registered Member.

There are a few factors that take account into fish aggression. Tank size is just one of the factors you need to consider , age of fish , order you put them in , type of fish , feeding , rock layout. These are the ones we know of now. Who knows in 10 years the experts might be giving us something else. Too many people on here want to just throw blanket opinions and have them as facts. There are opinions and there are facts

Opinion 4 tangs can't live in a 120

Fact all tangs have gills