Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/20/2009, 09:13 PM   #26
ddinox64
Moved On

Very envious so far.

You can do a leak test on the floor if you want. You're not thinking because it's level in the garage it'll be level in basement right? Leveling should be done in the final resting spot.

No problem with the shims. All the weight will be on corners and the way you have the piece of wood at the one end looks good.

One car garage? Is that a Dodge?

You need to run a piece of wood perpendicular off the stud under the the top brace for your top can. Those are 33 gallon cans times 8lbs per gallon, 264 pounds on four screws. I wouldn't trust that.

I'd cut a piece of 2x4 about 6" long and butt it up against the drywall and shoot 4 screws into that too. Or you can run it out to the front vertical 2x4. Maybe just take the back one off and use it for one side and make another for other side. And I'd do it on the inside of those two studs instead of the outside. That'll put more meat under the can itself too. Add a screw or two to the front legs of that stand too.

If that thing get a leaning, that 264 pounds times 2(530lbs) is going to do what it wants.

Are you putting your sump under the display? I'd trim that skirt some to give yourself some working room too.

I hope I'm not coming across as insulting buddy. Sometimes others see and think about something we don't.

Pizzas here. Good build thread going.

ddinox64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/20/2009, 09:37 PM   #27
JonnyD91
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ddinox64
Very envious so far.

You can do a leak test on the floor if you want. You're not thinking because it's level in the garage it'll be level in basement right? Leveling should be done in the final resting spot.

No problem with the shims. All the weight will be on corners and the way you have the piece of wood at the one end looks good.

One car garage? Is that a Dodge?

You need to run a piece of wood perpendicular off the stud under the the top brace for your top can. Those are 33 gallon cans times 8lbs per gallon, 264 pounds on four screws. I wouldn't trust that.

I'd cut a piece of 2x4 about 6" long and butt it up against the drywall and shoot 4 screws into that too. Or you can run it out to the front vertical 2x4. Maybe just take the back one off and use it for one side and make another for other side. And I'd do it on the inside of those two studs instead of the outside. That'll put more meat under the can itself too. Add a screw or two to the front legs of that stand too.

If that thing get a leaning, that 264 pounds times 2(530lbs) is going to do what it wants.

Are you putting your sump under the display? I'd trim that skirt some to give yourself some working room too.

I hope I'm not coming across as insulting buddy. Sometimes others see and think about something we don't.

Pizzas here. Good build thread going.

The car is a nissan sentra ser spec-v.

Those cans are actually ony 20 gallon cans, thats why i didn go to crazy boulding up the stands. They are solid as a rock though.

ooooo the sump. what a pain. i have been looking all over for acrylic at a reasonable price. cast acrylis and acrylite ff are both about 250 - 275.00 for a 4X8 sheet.

The way i built the stand i can do the sump 2 ways.

46X12.5X16 or
36 X17X16

Given the price of acrylic and the sizes it comes in i can get a 72X36 piece for 100.00. So i think i will go with the 36X17X16.

I am going to do Skimmer->>return->>refugium

skimmer - 12X17
return - 8X17
Refugium - 12X17

I dont care about the return section because i will have the 20 gallon resivour(sp) and will prob do an auto top off eventually. Im just not sure if i trust them.

Hope to get the stand in this weekend. how long should i do the leak test for?

Thanks
john

JonnyD91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/31/2009, 08:24 PM   #28
JonnyD91
Registered Member

So I took ddinox64's advice and cut back on the front of the skirt of my stand.

In the process of leveling it. It is level now but i want to put a piece of plywood on the right side to level it. It will give me more contact on that side since the floor slopes to the right.

Painted the back and the sides of the tank gloss black

Next up build the sump.......

Unread 08/31/2009, 08:33 PM   #29
JonnyD91
Registered Member

Sump Time

So i wanted my sump to fit in the space so its in-between the legs in the center. I decieded to make it 36 X16.5, and 16" high.

It will be skimmer>>return>>refugium

12" for the skimmer
@8" for the return
12" for the refugium

i dont mind the small return as i will have a 20 gallon reserve.

Got the acrylic cut.

This blade is awesome to use on acrylic. 84 teeth. It cuts like butter and no melting.

Routed and sanded all my edges. Super flat, now easy to work with

Got the one side up tonight, getting late and the router and table saw are noisy so i will pick up the rest tomorrow.

Unread 08/31/2009, 10:19 PM   #30
ddinox64
Moved On

I wouldn't trust my skills at making a tank/sump. Looks like you cut pretty straight lines. Even with a straight edge I seem to get wavy cuts.

Trimming that wood gave you lots of working room.

Are you going to put some plywood on the bottom to support the sump instead of just the three pieces of wood?

Seeing that you seem handy with a saw, cutting good lines and do good work. Instead of plywood for leveling. What if you took a 2x4, 2x2 or 1x2, and ripped it at an angle the full length needed to fill that gap? Then just a piece to fill in the width. Then you can tack it to the bottom.

Keep up the good work.

Unread 09/01/2009, 10:41 AM   #31
JonnyD91
Registered Member

Quote:
I wouldn't trust my skills at making a tank/sump. Looks like you cut pretty straight lines. Even with a straight edge I seem to get wavy cuts.

Trimming that wood gave you lots of working room.

Are you going to put some plywood on the bottom to support the sump instead of just the three pieces of wood?

Seeing that you seem handy with a saw, cutting good lines and do good work. Instead of plywood for leveling. What if you took a 2x4, 2x2 or 1x2, and ripped it at an angle the full length needed to fill that gap? Then just a piece to fill in the width. Then you can tack it to the bottom.

Keep up the good work.
Yes i have a plywood floor for the bottom.
I may try the wedge idea. As for the sump, its amazing what a router and a table saw can do

Unread 09/01/2009, 09:57 PM   #32
JonnyD91
Registered Member

Some more sump progress. I test fitted my skimmer. I put it in the refugium section because my skimmer section will be about the same size. I may even try to make it a little smaller than the original 12" i anticipated

Current Tank Info: 90G Reef - 2 MP40's - Apex Controlled - Reef Octopus PRO-SSS-DC1 Skimmer - 6 Bulb ATI Sunpower
Unread 09/04/2009, 11:36 PM   #33
JonnyD91
Registered Member

So the sump is almost finished. I just have to add one more baffel and the top. Then i will put some misc. pieces of acrylic in there to hold my ph probe and maybe a filter sock.

This is my first couple of projects really using a router. Learned a few things along the way.

Started using this flush bit for the edges.

Unfortunatly the bearing seized up and scored the side of my sump.

Burnt out bit.

Ran to HD to get a new one

THis bit is by far superior to the bosch one. I dont know if its because its 1/2" instead of 3/8" But it cut faster smoother and cooler. I will never buy a bosch bit again.

Hope to finish the sump up tomorrow and get the stand finally leveled.

I was wondering would it be better to put 2 holes in the stand for the return and drain to go through like this?

Or should i cut out a big slot so i can actuall access and tighten them from under the stand and not have 2 individual holes?

Current Tank Info: 90G Reef - 2 MP40's - Apex Controlled - Reef Octopus PRO-SSS-DC1 Skimmer - 6 Bulb ATI Sunpower
Unread 09/05/2009, 09:41 AM   #34
ddinox64
Moved On

I'd make some working room. Plus I like the fact I can stick my head under the tank and see what's in my overflow.

Last time I touched a router was highschool, 28 years ago. Actaully 29, I took metals in 12th grade.

Unread 09/05/2009, 10:18 PM   #35
ddinox64
Moved On

Learned to post pictures today. This is my 90g when I first set it up.

Unread 09/05/2009, 10:58 PM   #36
JonnyD91
Registered Member

Very nice I think i am looking to do a similar aquascape. Finished the sump. Found one small leak the sie of a pin hole. Had to whip out the weld-on 16. Will post pics tomorrow.

Unread 09/10/2009, 08:20 PM   #37
JonnyD91
Registered Member

So after some good old routing..............

Finished product, holds water. thats a good thing

Finally finished leveling my stand.

Got the tank on

I had a very slight gap on one corner of the tank between the tank and the stand, but the rest were flush so i shimmed one corner with an old credit card.

Another water test to do some final tweaks on leveling and screw it to the wall when there is alot of weight on the stand.

Got some new additions for the room.

Next up hook up the rodi and plumb the sump and water station.

Unread 09/10/2009, 09:00 PM   #38
Zestay
Registered Member

nice build =)

Zestay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/10/2009, 11:22 PM   #39
ddinox64
Moved On

Haha haaa. Bet the wife is happy that's not done in the house. And man. You're a dead ringer for an old friend of mine I went to school with.

Water going in. cool.

Well here's some newer pictures but not new enough. I rearanged some rocks again today. I am lousy at coral placement. Never seem happy with the look. This is the longest my sand has been a shade of white.

Unread 09/11/2009, 07:02 AM   #40
jdrabek
Registered Member

Are those holes actually big enough to get to the bulkheads? I would make one large opening so you have easy access to both bulkheads and can get your hand/tool in easily.

jdrabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2009, 07:42 AM   #41
JonnyD91
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jdrabek
Are those holes actually big enough to get to the bulkheads? I would make one large opening so you have easy access to both bulkheads and can get your hand/tool in easily.
lol i said the same thing and later opened up the hole. I just didnt take another pic of it.

Unread 09/11/2009, 07:42 AM   #42
JonnyD91
Registered Member

Quote:
Haha haaa. Bet the wife is happy that's not done in the house. And man. You're a dead ringer for an old friend of mine I went to school with.

Water going in. cool.

Well here's some newer pictures but not new enough. I rearanged some rocks again today. I am lousy at coral placement. Never seem happy with the look. This is the longest my sand has been a shade of white.

What kind of rock is that dead center? i like that.

Unread 09/11/2009, 09:25 PM   #43
ddinox64
Moved On

It's a big rock.

I don't know. It has lots of shafts going through it. Everything that looks like it's a hole is. and goes all the way through it from top to bottom. I sort of think it maybe a dead coral but it's too much like rock.

The rock I have in there without coraline or very little I got from a guy with a FOWLR tank. I have a hodge podge of rock and no idea what type. It was cheap. I hunted for deals and found a few. It's starting to color up.

Everything in my tank started out about the size of fifty cent piece. Don't think I paid more than $10 for any coral in my tank. The Blue Tang was the most expensive at $16.99.

These aren't the new ones either. I actually bought a few more corals. 3 for $30.

Unread 09/16/2009, 08:42 PM   #44
JonnyD91
Registered Member

dd your tank looks great.

So i got the utility sink hooked up, aand i plumbed the ejector pump.

Got the Ro installed and started to do some plumbing

Put in my switches. Net to touch up the paint.

Got the light hung.

Its coming along Im shooting for water next week, i have a wedding this weekend and i need to finish up redoing th bathroom.

more to come......

Unread 09/16/2009, 09:08 PM   #45
ddinox64
Moved On

Man. I want a secret room like that.

Unread 09/16/2009, 09:10 PM   #46
JonnyD91
Registered Member

i need to post pics of my 50. It was in a small bedroom. Its sooo much easier setting this up when its not in the living space. No need to worry about spilling on the rug and such

Unread 09/16/2009, 09:14 PM   #47
JonnyD91
Registered Member

ddinox64 i wanted to ask you before do you have a cover on your tank with the firefish?

and watch those GSP your tank can get overun very quickly

was not fun getting rid of it.

Unread 09/16/2009, 10:14 PM   #48
ddinox64
Moved On

I do have a hood. It is open about 2" in the back the length of the tank. I have considered screening it as well as a cover for my over flow since I've lost two Clown Gobies in there.

I have never had a fish jump out of any of my tanks through the years. But then I've always had a hood of some type, but open in the back.

Wow! Wow! That is crazy. Looks nice but, wow. It's a shame it is so intrusive because I find it very appealing. I have given lots away. I just keep cutting it back.

I seem to have two different kinds. The stuff on the large rock in the middle and the other to the left which grows a lot slower. The center one has a pink skin while the left one has purple skin. I've never had to trim the one on the left it grows that slow.

Is that Halimeada in there? I'd really like to find a plant or plants to add to my display. That's a healthy looking tank.

Unread 09/17/2009, 08:56 AM   #49
JonnyD91
Registered Member

Yea, its Halimeada. That rock is sump bound in my new tank. THe stuff grows too fast. I liked it at first but i feel it takes away from the corals.

Unread 09/29/2009, 10:30 AM   #50
tangtang clown
Registered Member

Looks nice man. I like the fish room. I am not so lucky.