Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/25/2020, 12:59 AM   #1
jjencek
Registered Member

HANNA Copper False Positive and BAD Support Experience

I use several Hanna checkers and I have been very happy with them except for my latest experience.

When dosing copper into my QT, I always use the Hanna Copper LR tester. One day I needed a quick water change and I used water from my DT. My Hanna Copper showed crazy numbers in 0.400 ppm range. The water in my DT was measuring these values. Of course I panicked and started to remove the copper with absorbents, water changes, etc. Nothing was changing the numbers. The thing that was strange was that nothing was dying. I sent out for the ICP test and it came back with no copper or any unwanted metals.

I emailed Hanna in the US asking them if they new of any false positives and also offered to help them find what additives were causing it in my tank. Never heard back from them.

I live in Prague ... so I went to the local Hanna branch and talked to the technical person there. First I was told I did not know how to use it. When I offered to work with him, he told me he was not interested in helping me or figuring out the problem. His answer was that it reacts with many things and he could not do anything about it anyway.

I suspect that I know the answer and doing a few tests would confirm it. But why should I spent money on the reagent to help somebody that does not want my help?

If somebody on this list has a better experience with Hanna support and knows anybody in that company who might care, let me know.

jjencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/25/2020, 05:07 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

I don't know why the kit was having such problems, but a new batch of reagents might work better. The company didn't seem to be very helpful, though, so you might want to look into the SeaChem kit or some other product. I haven't read many reviews of the Hanna copper kit, or the other kits, for that matter. Sigh!

Unread 01/26/2020, 02:15 AM   #3
jjencek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
I don't know why the kit was having such problems, but a new batch of reagents might work better.
I tried three different batches of reagents - not the problem.

I am suspecting the Bacto Balance product by Tropic Marin is causing the false positive result. If anybody with the Hanna Checker and Bacto Balance wants to run a test, please let me know the result.

Hanna does not care, but maybe Tropic Marin would like to know.

Unread 01/26/2020, 08:41 AM   #4
Steveb
Registered Member

I thought only the hana HI702 was found to be accurate for use in saltwater by hana.

My Tanks
50x30 ABS Tub & a 48x24 frag tank at the moment
Steve's Reef 265 Build In Progress
Steveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2020, 10:28 AM   #5
jjencek
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baringcs View Post
I thought only the hana HI702 was found to be accurate for use in saltwater by hana.
I was also worried about that. So I had a friend with the HI702 check the values. She got the same high results.

Unread 01/27/2020, 12:27 AM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

Hmm, that's interesting. I don't know enough about how that test works to speculate on what might be causing the problem.

Unread 01/31/2020, 06:26 AM   #7
Steveb
Registered Member

That is weird and sad the vendor is unwilling to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Tanks
50x30 ABS Tub & a 48x24 frag tank at the moment
Steve's Reef 265 Build In Progress
Steveb is offline   Reply With Quote