Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/04/2018, 06:41 AM   #101
Misled
RC Mod

The backround is completely glued to the glass. No creep or water can get between it.

Unread 10/09/2018, 08:43 PM   #102
reef-newbie-11305
Registered Member

I found your build and followed it to here. Is there more? Curious to see how things are going. Is there a link to the background you purchased and glue you used? I like that idea. Just got the same 80 gal. deep blue rimless.

reef-newbie-11305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2018, 10:31 AM   #103
Fish559
Registered Member

Misled, explain your avatar. Is that you?

Fish559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2018, 10:50 AM   #104
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish559 View Post
Yes it is, but 60 years ago.

Hi Jesse!

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/10/2018, 12:07 PM   #105
Misled
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by reef-newbie-11305 View Post
I found your build and followed it to here. Is there more? Curious to see how things are going. Is there a link to the background you purchased and glue you used? I like that idea. Just got the same 80 gal. deep blue rimless.
My build is slow. I'm working on the inside of the stand and the controller board right now. The backround is a couple years old and I don't see that exact one anymore. I got it off ebay. Glued it on with pro clear wallpaper paste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish559 View Post
It's Bruce Campbell during Brisco County Jr tv series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirreal63 View Post
Yes it is, but 60 years ago.

Hi Jesse!
Bite me Jack!!!

Unread 10/17/2018, 06:18 PM   #106
Misled
RC Mod

So first off, today I moved some of my rock to a new home. This rock has been curing for about a year in the crap at the beginning of this thread. Here it is now.

I placed an order for 60 pounds of rock from TBS. Haven't gotten a date for delivery yet, but they figured sometime next week. After seeing what Dennis got, I can't wait to see what shows up.

So next I took this just to show people why I build my own stands. My RLSS skimmer is around two feet high. Plenty of room under the stand.

Thanks to Richard and the others at Tampa Bay Saltwater!!!

Unread 10/17/2018, 06:32 PM   #107
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Good job Jesse!!! Your existing rock looks pretty good and should blend nicely with what Richard sends.

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2018, 05:24 PM   #108
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misled View Post
So first off, today I moved some of my rock to a new home. This rock has been curing for about a year in the crap at the beginning of this thread. Here it is now.

I placed an order for 60 pounds of rock from TBS. Haven't gotten a date for delivery yet, but they figured sometime next week. After seeing what Dennis got, I can't wait to see what shows up.

So next I took this just to show people why I build my own stands. My RLSS skimmer is around two feet high. Plenty of room under the stand.

Thanks to Richard and the others at Tampa Bay Saltwater!!!
Yupper....looks like diving is a go this weekend....so stand by!

sea ya
Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

www.tbsaltwater.com
Find us on Instagram tbs_liverockrocks

Current Tank Info: mixed reef
liverock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/18/2018, 06:04 PM   #109
Misled
RC Mod

Unread 10/22/2018, 01:33 PM   #110
Misled
RC Mod

Looks as though I'll be going to the airport tonight!!!!!

Unread 10/22/2018, 01:35 PM   #111
liverock
RC Sponsor

Diving was good!

Pictures!

www.tbsaltwater.com

Unread 10/22/2018, 02:10 PM   #112
Misled
RC Mod

Maybe not tonight, but we'll see. Definitely by tomorrow though!!!
Thanks Richard!!!

Unread 10/22/2018, 07:27 PM   #113
Misled
RC Mod

Well, that was pretty easy. Rock is in the tub. The amount of different colors is amazing. Found quite a few snails and some kind of shrimp, (the wife through it in before I could look at it). It reminds me of some of the rock I got way back when. I'm quite sure I haven't seen half of what will show up. Now understand, I disturbed some sand, so things aren't perfectly clear, but I'll get more as time goes on. So, here's some pics.

Thanks again Richard and Deb. It was a pleasure doing business with you.

Unread 10/22/2018, 09:07 PM   #114
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverock View Post
Yupper....looks like diving is a go this weekend....so stand by!

sea ya
Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com
Yeah - diving in bath water!!!!!! Just kidding. Hope the water is nice with 70' or more visibility for you with calm waters. This is the best time of the year to dive in Monterey actually now until say January. Best visibility, no algae blooms, but much colder during surface interval. Had a few trips planed for November but canceled. Sciatic nerve is wrecking havoc with me so didn't want to burden my dive partner.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/22/2018, 09:09 PM   #115
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misled View Post
Well, that was pretty easy. Rock is in the tub. The amount of different colors is amazing. Found quite a few snails and some kind of shrimp, (the wife through it in before I could look at it). It reminds me of some of the rock I got way back when. I'm quite sure I haven't seen half of what will show up. Now understand, I disturbed some sand, so things aren't perfectly clear, but I'll get more as time goes on. So, here's some pics.

Thanks again Richard and Deb. It was a pleasure doing business with you.
I sort of feel like throwing away 150 lbs of the pukani I have

Looks good Misled.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2018, 05:23 AM   #116
homer1475
Registered Member

Wow nice rock! I've seen a few threads now with tanks started with rock from TBS. Makes me wish I had started my tank with it and not dry pukani. Reminds me of rock I used to see at every LFS 20 years ago.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2018, 04:46 PM   #117
Misled
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
Reminds me of rock I used to see at every LFS 20 years ago.
When I first opened a box, I thought it looked like what I bought when I started my journey about thirty years ago. We used to sit in front of the tank and watch the goins on even before any corals or fish were added.

Unread 10/29/2018, 11:02 AM   #118
liverock
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
Wow nice rock! I've seen a few threads now with tanks started with rock from TBS. Makes me wish I had started my tank with it and not dry pukani. Reminds me of rock I used to see at every LFS 20 years ago.
I have been shipping live rock going on 40 years now.....I have seen the industry evolve, change, morph and then change again.

When we were collecting rock from the ocean in the early 1980's it was the only game in town. Then the ban on live rock from state and federal waters went into place.

A few of us went the aquaculture route but there simply was not enough of cultured live rock to fit the void in the industry that was suffering from not enough rock.

This created a demand for more rock which resulted in all the man made/manufactured dry live rock. The marketplace quickly began filling with all types of artificial dry rock, as there was not enough 'real' live rock to fill the demand.

The Dry dead rock industry blossomed as folks had to use something in their reef tanks, and the result was many reefers went with it as they simply could not get 'real' live rock.

But now most folks have figured out that dry/dead rock presented a lot of problems when starting and trying to get a new tank established. The algae problems developed and the tanks took forever to come around to a point where they were successful in keeping stock alive.

And the industry is shifting again as I get daily calls from folks really tired of the dry rock look, and it's results. Reefers are reverting to real live rock again as it will provide a biologically stable tank with diversity that will never happen with dry rock. I have had many folks throw in the towel, ditch the dry rock and go with 'real' live rock again. Especially the hard coral folks who have reported that after restocking with 'real' live rock, not only did their coals do much better, their tanks are actually alive now.

So....another morph in the industry, evolving to the 'real' thing again and happy tanks.

Unfortunately we are in the same boat again with availability of 'real' live rock again as the biggest producer of it was Walt Smith who literally supplied the world with his wild harvested live rock. That all stopped the first of this year. Now there is a HUGE vacuum for live rock as those of us who are producing it simply cannot fill the void Walt left. After the ban in Fiji in February I started getting calls from all over the world from Walt's customers looking for containers of live rock <25,000> pounds each shipped to them.

I have to turn them all down as it is simply not possible me to fill that volume, so they are forced to go the dead/dry rock route as there is nothing else to use in their tanks.

This has eliminated the ease of setting up a reef tank and have it ready to go in a couple of weeks. The trend I am seeing now is folks frustrated with the look and function of dry rock and created a new market of "I need some real live rock" to add to my tank and it's biodiversity and benefits.

So here we go again, market is shifting again, and I see it everyday with the orders from folks saying 'I need something to make my tank come alive" please send me some to populate my tank.

Richard TBS
www.tbsaltwater.com

www.tbsaltwater.com

Unread 10/29/2018, 02:15 PM   #119
Mrs. Music
Registered Member

Jesse, I am so stinking JEALOUS! Happy for you too, but green, man green.

Unread 10/29/2018, 05:53 PM   #120
Misled
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Music View Post
Jesse, I am so stinking JEALOUS! Happy for you too, but green, man green.

I'm going to get into some of what Richard spoke about in his post, but I'm going to take it a little further. Most of you know I've been in the hobby over thirty years now. Back then, live rock was very live. For the really good stuff, we were paying anywhere from 15 to 20 dollars a pound. At that time there were around 6 very good LFS's in this area. Saltwater was taking off here, and the word reef was being thrown around. The mags were showing some pics of tanks and we all started going nuts trying to get tanks going up here. We all had bleached out coral heads in our fish tanks. What happened next was beyond what we ever thought was possible.

The guys at all the LFS and a few of us hobbyists got together every once and a while to have a little talk about things we had heard, (no real club yet, or internet forums, but that happened later). On one of the meets, someone showed off the "new" live rock. There was green stuff, all kinds of strange colors, bi-valves, limpets, worms and all these tiny bugs, (pods)!!! Now mind you, this scared some of us. My wife had dreams about things crawling out the tank and eating her. She also spent hours sitting in front of it watching all the life moving around. This was something quite new.

I'm going to end this part of the story for now anyway. This is where I want some of you as old as me to go back too. I didn't have a skimmer. Had a big hang on , (Aquaclear I think), hanging on the back with carbon in it. That's it. Nothing else. There weren't many corals added. A hammer, a bubble and a few shrooms. Three or four fish. Back in the day, it was a beautiful tank. Hammer and bubble grew, mushrooms multiplied. Things were stable for quite a few years. If you bought any green stripped mushrooms in the area, they probably came from my tank. Thing is, there is something that I don't remember having in that tank, algae outbreaks. I don't ever remember seeing cyano. I can't say it was because of the live rock, but I'm pretty sure it was because of the live rock. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Unread 10/30/2018, 07:24 AM   #121
Mrs. Music
Registered Member

very true. I am missing the wildlife with my dry rock tank.

Unread 10/30/2018, 01:44 PM   #122
homer1475
Registered Member

Completely agree Jesse!

20 years ago when I started this journey, even without corals I never had the problems I'm having now starting with dry dead rock.

I also miss the microfauna you used to see when starting with actual LR.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/16/2018, 06:20 PM   #123
Misled
RC Mod

Unread 11/16/2018, 08:03 PM   #124
Darth_Tater
Registered Member

Ooooh, fancy! What all are you going to control with it?

Unread 11/17/2018, 07:36 AM   #125
JamesHolt
Registered Member

His speakers....lol

Current Tank Info: 29g with 2 Engineer gobies
JamesHolt is offline   Reply With Quote