Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/03/2016, 10:42 AM   #1
aravindk
Registered Member

Seaklear Phosphate Remover - how much

What is the recommended dosage? I am using the CR version which I believe 1/3 of the strength of the original. I want to know what is the most effective dosage?

aravindk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2016, 08:07 PM   #2
jpa14
Registered Member

I just got done using seaklear commercial ..I have 350 gallons water with a phosphate of .45. I used 4ml with 1.5 liter ro water. and dripped it for about 7 hours in a 10 micron filter bag,, it went down to .25 with no issues to my tangs or coral... I waited a few days, and ran 3 ml in 1.75 ro water and dripped for about 8 houre ..my po4 reading is now .06..with no issues at all..

jpa14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/04/2016, 02:21 PM   #3
bertoni
RC Mod

The companies don't tell us the concentration of lanthanum in the products, not usually, anyway, so it's hard to compute a dose. Is this a running tank, or a curing tub? For curing live rock, you can just add lanthanum chloride a bit at a time, and stop when you can't seen precipitate forming. An overdose won't do much harm.

Unread 09/04/2016, 06:29 PM   #4
aravindk
Registered Member

It is a running tank. I had 0.12 and did a rough math and did a 12 ml in 1 liter RODI. The phosphates dropped to 0.02. So I am good for now. I also started running GFO.

aravindk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2018, 07:08 PM   #5
lnevo
Registered Member

Just bought an IV bag, a 10 micron sock and a pint of seaklear. Other than starting small and guestimating, do we have any idea on a formula here to figure out the amount needed?

Not sure how I'm going to manage the the high flow part yet, but I have time...

Anyway, tank is 65 gallon with a phosphate of 1.89. Want to get them down quickly. I'm running an ats and skimmer already so there's no reason for it to be this high. Time to get that down once and for all.

lnevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2018, 08:33 PM   #6
Pslreefer
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnevo View Post
Just bought an IV bag, a 10 micron sock and a pint of seaklear. Other than starting small and guestimating, do we have any idea on a formula here to figure out the amount needed?

Not sure how I'm going to manage the the high flow part yet, but I have time...

Anyway, tank is 65 gallon with a phosphate of 1.89. Want to get them down quickly. I'm running an ats and skimmer already so there's no reason for it to be this high. Time to get that down once and for all.

I’d start with .5 ml in a gallon of rodi dripped about a drop a second. Then test and see how much it went down and adjust from there.

Pslreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2018, 08:55 PM   #7
bertoni
RC Mod

If you want to do an experiment, you could take a 1g sample of tank water, and add SeaKlear maybe 1/2 teaspoon at a time, and see how many it takes to drop the phosphate to zero. I don't have any data from SeaKlear on their products, so it'd be interesting to get some numbers.