Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/22/2004, 06:56 PM   #76
AcroSteve
Make my Funk a P-Funk

Quite amazing!

don't go ninjin' nobody that don't need ninjin'!

Current Tank Info: 220g custom plywood. SPS heavy with Sequence Hammerhead return with 4-Way OM. Tunze 6100, 6200 and Wavebox. 5000btu DIY Chiller. Lighting is 10K mh 250W / VHO Actinic Skimer - H&S A200-2x1260
AcroSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2004, 07:03 PM   #77
Spartan
Registered Member

Like everyone I am awestruck and very curious to learn more about your setup. Are you in the UK? The caption in the newspaper photo reads "tonnes" instead of "tons".

Current Tank Info: 180g, 100g sump, 55 g refuge
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/22/2004, 11:10 PM   #78
partagas
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skylsdale
3. I am more concerned with the overall look of the "window" than I am with the display of specific corals

I think one of the ways this is achieved (which you have done, but the VAST majority of people don't do) is by taking parts of the rockwork clear up to the surface, or even better, beyond so it continues out of the viewer's field of view. This gives the impression that you are actually sunken down, especially when you have to look up to view things. Most people seem to leave the top thrid of their water column completely open...and, well...all tanks start to look the same after a while.

Good job.
This is good in only LARGE tanks. if you did that will any tank I would say under 150 it would not have the same effect. You also have to take into account scale of space. You do this in a 55 gallon tank and it would odd. But then again this is jucy my 2 cents.

Unread 05/23/2004, 01:04 PM   #79
hcrk
Registered Member

First of all, I have a question for those following this thread.
Given your extremely positive reaction to my first pictures, I have taken/gathered a number of new pictures that come under 3 conceptual sub-headings:
- Backbone pictures (ie support systems);
- Original pictures taken 7+ years ago (then and now); and
- the reef at night.
As I have very limited experience in posting to Reef Central, I was wondering whether (on the issues solely of convenience to readers) I should just keep adding posts to the original thread or start seperate thread or threads?

Quote:
Originally posted by nseawater
I would love to see your sump, filter's, and what have you. How much did it cost you just to setup that tank?
Quote:
Originally posted by BAJA272
When are we going to see the back of that monster?
Jeff
Quote:
Originally posted by hwynboy
[I am SOOO much more interested in the guts. The filtration, the skimmers, the back room and all the controllers and gizmos and gadgets.
How or do you need to clean the glass? [/B]
Quote:
Originally posted by slapshot
I too would like to see the filter room.
Quote:
Originally posted by TacoKing
How about some behind the scenes pics?! I'd love to see what's making this sucker run!
I have taken pictures of the tank "backbone" and will post them shortly.
Frankly, I suspect that people will be surprised at the lack of complexity. I don't have any sophisticated (computerized) monitoring or control sytems. Frankly I personally see these systems as being of limited importance and use.
What I do monitor (using simple electronic meters) are my reef's PH, salinity and the conductivity of make-up water.

What I have concentrated on are the basics of lighting, water flow/motion and skimming.

I clean the glass aboiut once a week with one of those magnetic scrubbing pads. I also use a razor about once every three weeks

On the issue of cost, both initial and ongoing cost......"nevermind"
However, I should add that my cost is likely substantially less than most people would think

Quote:
Originally posted by Spin Man
Roughly, what percentage of your corals are softies, LPS and SPS?
Also, what is your maintanence schedule, and what additives do you incorporate into your care?
Thanks.

Spin Man
Don't know the percentages, There has traditionally been more sps than would seem to be the case in viewing the pictures (see my previous response on this issue). ...but sps have never constituted more than perhaps 25% of the corals.

I don't adhere to a strict maintenance schedule and do not incorporate any additives whatsoever. I use a calcium reactor and from time to time I top up the calcium level with calcium chloride and buffer.
In the past. I also used kalkwasser but my dosing pump malfunctioned several months ago (3rd one to do so) and I have still not gotten round to buying a replacement.
I should add that there was a time early on with my first tank that I was extremely concerned about "balances" and the depletion of substances in the reef. Accordingly, I added various substances from Iodine to Strontium.
But I stopped worrying about that many years ago.
Frankly, on reflection the lack of research and the gaps of knowledge caused me to conclude that the probabilities were just as great that I was, in fact, creating (or exacerbating)problems rather than solving real issues through my use of additives.....for example, one day the "prevailing opinion" was that strontium was necessary.....a year later....seemingly knowledgable people were now maintaing that it was detrimental.

Please note that I am certainly not suggesting that aquariests stop adding whatever it is that appears to benefit the inhabitants of their aquariums. All that I am saying is that, I have ppersonally concluded that less intervention is usually better than more intervention - so I don't intervene unless I absolutely have to".

Quote:
Originally posted by Sardaukar
That Acanthurus japonicus (Powder Brown Tang) is gorgeous! Keeping three (or was it four?) Acanthurus tangs in one tank is quite a feat. How do all your tangs interact? Who is the boss?
Your question made me wonder so I counted...and I actually have 8 varieties of Acanthrus tangs. the notation next to the name indicates approximately how long each tang has been in my reef):

1. Achilles Tang (3 1/2 years)
Acanthurus achilles
2. Powder Brown Tang (3 years)
Acanthurus japonicus
3. Powder Blue Tang (1 year)
Acanthurus leucosternon
4. Mata Tang (2 1/2 years)
Acanthurus mata
5. Chocolate Mimic Tang (2 1/2 years)
Acanthurus pyroferus
6. Orange Shoulder Tang (6 weeks)
Acanthurus olivaceus
7. Lieutenants Tang (new)
Acanthurus tennenti
8. Convict Tang (2 years)
Acanthurus triostegus

The big Boss is the Achilles...
The fish will spar from time to time, but the aquarium is large enough to allow the weaker combatant to move away (escape).
Let me say this, however, in my view, you should certainly NOT try to keep a large nuumber of tangs in a small tank or even mid size tank. Although they are beautiful, they are extremely territorial.

Quote:
Originally posted by slapshot
What do you do to keep the Ich at bay? It seems like you have a lot of fish in there. How about enlighting us with your maintence routine? How often do you feed and what? I say again it is the best tank I have ever seen.
Ich is an interesting 'puzzle". isn't it....
Several of my tangs have had it and it has simply disappeared with time.
Here is what I have personally concluded....ich is not introduced....the inhabitants carry it in some sort of latent form and stress is what brings it on,
I expect that it has something to do with the immune system.

I feed an interesting flake food (daily) that was recommended to me several years ago.....and all that I can say is that it works for me.
In the past, I have used various frozen preparations and found this to be a better choice (the fish love it....seems to have more true nutrients....and, based on my experience there is far less of a problem with residue pollution).

Quote:
Originally posted by skylsdale
3. I am more concerned with the overall look of the "window" than I am with the display of specific corals

I think one of the ways this is achieved (which you have done, but the VAST majority of people don't do) is by taking parts of the rockwork clear up to the surface, or even better, beyond so it continues out of the viewer's field of view. This gives the impression that you are actually sunken down, especially when you have to look up to view things. Most people seem to leave the top thrid of their water column completely open...and, well...all tanks start to look the same after a while.
Good job.
I have used the same concept (live rock to and past the surface of the water) on all of my reefs including the 120 gallon that I have in the waiting room of my offices.
For me, the problem with leaving a space open above the rock is that the back glass takes away from the illusion that I am attempting to create. "You see a glass wall and you know you are not looking at a real scene."

As you will see from the pictures that I intend to post, I always try to disguise back glass walls and have also used mirrors to heighten the effect and illusion.

Quote:
Originally posted by partagas
This is good in only LARGE tanks. if you did that will any tank I would say under 150 it would not have the same effect. You also have to take into account scale of space. You do this in a 55 gallon tank and it would odd. But then again this is jucy my 2 cents.
I don't really agree; but then again, it as an issue involving esthetics, and as such relates to very personal "likes and dislikes" and the "look" that you are attempting to achieve.

Thanks once more for all of your positive comments

hcrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2004, 02:02 PM   #80
Travis
10 and over club

Awesome tank. I'm very jealous.

Quote:
As I have very limited experience in posting to Reef Central, I was wondering whether (on the issues solely of convenience to readers) I should just keep adding posts to the original thread or start seperate thread or threads?
I have found it the most convenient when all of the pictures detailing a setup are posted in the same thread.

Quote:
I feed an interesting flake food (daily) that was recommended to me several years ago.....and all that I can say is that it works for me.
Could you please describe this flake food more? It sounds intriguing.

Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2004, 02:36 PM   #81
RedEyeReef
Registered Member

Yes, please tell us your flake food?

Current Tank Info: 150 Reef, SPS, LPS, Clams, 8-T5's, Tunze 7095 & 6200 Streams, ATI bubble 250
RedEyeReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2004, 05:19 PM   #82
jdsabin1
Registered Member

I also have some questions if you could find the time to answer them it would be greatly appreciated!

1) I would also like to know what you are feeding your fish (frozen and the flake) and how often you are feeding them.

2) What is your light cycle currently?

3) How often and how much are your water changes?

Thanks!

Reefing Law #22: The more a coral costs, the greater the likelihood it will die in your tank.

Current Tank Info: In-wall VHO LPS/Softie 150 Gallon Reef, 5g MaxiMini Carpet tank
jdsabin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/23/2004, 06:20 PM   #83
Gerard Alba
Registered Member

The best ever.

Gerard Alba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2004, 06:57 AM   #84
dvlhzdu
Registered Member

Please continue to post to this thread. IMO it is much easier to ask answer question instead of jumping between threads.

dvlhzdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2004, 10:14 AM   #85
biodegraded
Registered Member

I would also be interested in how you physically work on a tank that large for placing new livestock, pruning or moving pieces, and the likes. I presume you have various kinds of poles, pincers and gaffs in addition to arm-length gloves? Do you have a platform that mounts over the top for you to lie upon over the water surface? Etc.

biodegraded is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2004, 11:11 AM   #86
digitallinx
Registered Member

i'll say he must put on the diving gear and just jump right in.....

digitallinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2004, 11:40 AM   #87
Ken Sellick
Registered Member

Any behind the scene shots?
Thank's for sharing

Ken Sellick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/24/2004, 11:30 PM   #88
hcrk
Registered Member

THEN & NOW:

A. Given it's size, the aquarium and sump were both assembled on-site. The stand was also fabricated in two pieces which were bolted together on site.
Transporting the stand and glass down a circular staircase presented quite a challenge. After a few hours of trying (with a total of seven men participating) we were finally required to disasemble part of the staircase itself (the oak sindles and handrails were temporarily removed) in order to get the largest pieces into the basement.

THEN - 7+ Years Ago:
Transporting panes of glass through basement entrance hall

NOW - The basement entrance hall today:

THEN - 7+ Years Ago:
Bottom sheet of glass on stand. This picture gives you a sense of the scale of the aquarium. Note that the sump was then assembled in the space directly under the main tank.

Main Aquarium:
- 120"l x 45"w x 35"h
- all Glass
- front pane = Starfire Glass
Sump:
- 120"l x 36"w x 18"w
- all Glass
Stand :
- custom fabricated - reinforced steel

NOW - The same location today:

THEN - 7+ Years Ago:
This picture provides an overview of this area of the basement. Notice the mirrored column in the center of the picture which also appears in "The same location today" picture below.

NOW - The same location today:

Unread 05/24/2004, 11:35 PM   #89
trmiv
Registered Member

Wow!! Awesome!! Not only is the tank nice, the room is great. That entrance hall is amazing too. Your entire house must be incredible.

Unread 05/24/2004, 11:51 PM   #90
Gujustud
Registered Member

Wowzer, Great job indeed. Love the before and after pictures, really gives you a nice idea on how things have progressed. Waiting for the behind the scene (skimmer, sump, etc) pictures.

By the looks of it, you've got a side door that goes behind the tank. How much room is back there? In the one picture, it only looks like you've got about 1' or so, unless you broken that wall behind it down.

Great job again!

Gujustud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2004, 12:59 AM   #91
RedEyeReef
Registered Member

Very nice.... how much room is between the wall and the back of the tank. In the pic the tank looks to be against the back wall? Also where and what type of skimmer are you using. Lights, what about the lights?

Thanks for taking the time to share this incredible tank.

It goes to show that you may have something nice, but someone always has something nicer.

INCREDIBLE!

Current Tank Info: 150 Reef, SPS, LPS, Clams, 8-T5's, Tunze 7095 & 6200 Streams, ATI bubble 250
RedEyeReef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2004, 12:46 PM   #92
Jow13
Registered Member

Adopt me.

Current Tank Info: Currently In Between Tanks
Jow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2004, 12:50 PM   #93
gig
Registered Member.

Quote:
Adopt me.
LOL!

BTW, that dude in the orange sweatshirt, is that a Fighting Illini sweatshirt? Is that you?

Current Tank Info: Current Tank Info: 180G RR in wall mixed reef moving toward SPS dominated (247 gal total system), 300lbs+ LR, VHO/T5 mix of lighting, X3 MP40w ES.
gig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2004, 12:54 PM   #94
ricky1414
Registered Member

Being a RE broker in LA I have seen many homes. I have to say your home is as unique as it is impressive!!! If you live in Los Angeles, gimme a call! LOL, j/k, but definately one sweet setup you have there.

ricky1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2004, 06:15 PM   #95
made_one
Registered Member

damn thats a nice house.

made_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2004, 03:14 AM   #96
Marine1
Registered Member

Two words.
Absolutely Stunning.

Well Done.
Jay

Marine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2004, 03:14 AM   #97
Marine1
Registered Member

Two words.
Absolutely Stunning.

Well Done.
Jay

Marine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2004, 06:51 AM   #98
Tazzmacd
Registered Member

Very well done. I think I will avoid showing my wife the before and after pictures of your hallway, I have a feeling that the renovations that I am currently doing will need to change.

Cheers!!

Pat

Tazzmacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2004, 07:07 AM   #99
mr9iron
15& Over Club

That is one amazing reef tank. I would love to see more pics as well as hear all the details about your tank. BTW, nice bar!!!! Have you ever thought about charging admition for some relaxation time with a drink in front of the tanks?

Current Tank Info: Frag tank at the moment, planning another
mr9iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2004, 04:25 PM   #100
hcrk
Registered Member

LIGHTING & ELECTRICAL:

The lighting over the reef consists of:
- 3 x 1000w - 6,000 K
- 3 x 400w - 20,000 k
These pictures also show the supplementary glass "support structure" at the top of the aquarium.
Note that the ceiling and front hatch panel are lined with highly polished aluminum that serve as secondary reflectors.

This picture taken from the elevated walkway behind the aquarium. There are three lindividual ighting fixtures each of which contains one 1000 watt bulb and one 400 watt bulb.

This picture was taken from the opposite end of the aquarium. Note the four integrated fans (at the far end) that create significant air-flow over the surface of the aquarium.
Note the hinged hatch on the left which is covered with highly reflective aluminum.

A separate electrical sub-panel was installed to service the lights and pumps.
This sub-panel is situated in a remote service room located approximately 20' from the aquarium.
This room contains the electrical sub-panel, ballasts, timers, the chiller, RO system, 2 vats of replacement water, etc.
The electrical wiring (and some hoses and tubing) run through the ceiling from the remote service room to the aquarium.
All electrical circuits are protected by GFI breakers.
The lights run on 220v and the pumps (11 Iwakis) run on 120v.
I have used mechanical timers for the lights as I find them to be more reliable.
Please note that I have opened the sub-panel and taken the covers off of the ballast boxes for this picture.

I will be posting other "behind the scenes" pictures over the next several days.