Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/18/2018, 05:42 PM   #1
leetch
Registered Member

Lost 2 fish, now Clowns are sick

36 bowfront
1.022 gravity
0 nitrites, 0 ammonia, 5-10 ppm nitrates
haven't checked phosphates

Added a Small Flame Angel about 2 weeks ago to a tank that had 3 false percs and an orchid dottyback. All went well from the get go. The tank livened up and everyone was swimming everywhere.

Out of the blue on Saturday, the dotty started going to the top of the tank. All others were acting fine. The dotty looked a little weird, coloration slightly off and a small amount of "skin" falling off near the fins. No visible signs of trauma. Within 12 hours, it was a goner.

The next morning the same thing happened to the flame angel. Skin discoloration near the stomach and the same "molting" look near the fins. One eye looked to be a little popped out. But again, no visible injuries. Within 12 hours...dead.

Now my clowns are acting a little lethargic and not eating.

Nothing other than the flame was introduced in the last month. I've done 2 water 10% water changes with water from my LFS. The fresh water is ro/di.

Inverts and coral are all fine and water parameters seem to be stable.

Any thoughts? I might try some pellets soaked in garlic juice or maybe my frozen food soaked in garlic juice tonight but I'm worried there is some disease that was brought in with the flame that I'm not aware of.

Possibly Brooklynella?

Last edited by leetch; 12/18/2018 at 05:58 PM.
leetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2018, 04:26 PM   #2
Louis Z
Registered Member

Sorry but no qt , teaches us a lesson . Taught me . Hate to hear that you lost all of them . You need to have meds on hand to treat velvet , ick, Brooklynella, uronema . Those all kill very quickly . Ordering takes time and wouldn’t get to u in time before it’s too late . Formalin, CP or ickshield , copper formulation . That’s just emergency meds , there are more for flukes or other worms .

Louis Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2018, 11:18 AM   #3
leetch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Z View Post
Sorry but no qt , teaches us a lesson . Taught me . Hate to hear that you lost all of them . You need to have meds on hand to treat velvet , ick, Brooklynella, uronema . Those all kill very quickly . Ordering takes time and wouldn’t get to u in time before it’s too late . Formalin, CP or ickshield , copper formulation . That’s just emergency meds , there are more for flukes or other worms .
I hear ya Louis. Thanks for the reply, I actually posted this in the reef discussion also because I was having issues with this thread, I couldn't reply, it was missing, etc.

I have ick meds and parasite meds on hand but I didn't have any formalin. Sadly formalin is what was needed in this case. I will have to get some and keep it locked away.

Unread 12/21/2018, 03:37 PM   #4
HumbleFish
Moved On

It certainly sounds like brook to me.

Formalin is not the only treatment. Acriflavine (e.g. Ruby Reef Rally) is another good option. A 5 min FW dip, followed by transfer into a QT, where you dose Seachem Metroplex for 10-14 days will also clear brook.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2018, 01:22 AM   #5
Louis Z
Registered Member

can Acriflavine and metronidazole be used at the same time? Just considering for double action or a quicker emergency treatment . I hate to use formalin and that was my last resort .

Louis Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/22/2018, 10:55 AM   #6
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Z View Post
can Acriflavine and metronidazole be used at the same time? Just considering for double action or a quicker emergency treatment . I hate to use formalin and that was my last resort .
I wouldn't combine them. I would use acriflavine in a 90 min bath to eliminate most of the parasites, and then dose metronidazole for 10-14 days in a QT to be sure you got them all. It's always best to place a fish in a clean/sterile QT post bath, to reduce the chances of reinfection from the water.

Unread 04/02/2019, 01:42 PM   #7
leetch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleFish View Post
I wouldn't combine them. I would use acriflavine in a 90 min bath to eliminate most of the parasites, and then dose metronidazole for 10-14 days in a QT to be sure you got them all. It's always best to place a fish in a clean/sterile QT post bath, to reduce the chances of reinfection from the water.
Wouldn't you need to keep the fish in your qt for much longer since you would need to keep the display fallow for 90+ days? I can see that this might cure the fish but the tank itself would still be infected. Am I missing something?

I'm getting ready to bring the tank back up - it's been fallow since Christmas (with coral and inverts only). I just want to be sure I'm clear on treatment in case this ever happens again.

Unread 04/02/2019, 02:13 PM   #8
HumbleFish
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetch View Post
Wouldn't you need to keep the fish in your qt for much longer since you would need to keep the display fallow for 90+ days? I can see that this might cure the fish but the tank itself would still be infected. Am I missing something?
Brooklynella (and uronema) has a direct life cycle: It lives, feeds and reproduces directly on the fish (no encysted stage). Therefore, dosing Metronidazole (Flagyl) should kill all of the parasites instantly - both on the fish and anywhere else in the tank. However, being Seachem Metroplex is only ~ 70% active I recommend followup treatment(s) just to be sure. I've cleared both brook & uronema in a single dose when using pharmaceutical grade (99% pure) metro.

Now the above DOES NOT APPLY to Ich & Velvet. Both of those parasites have an encysted stage (tomonts) so you need to treat for at least 30 days in therapeutic copper (or Chloroquine).

Unread 04/03/2019, 11:45 AM   #9
leetch
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleFish View Post
Brooklynella (and uronema) has a direct life cycle: It lives, feeds and reproduces directly on the fish (no encysted stage). Therefore, dosing Metronidazole (Flagyl) should kill all of the parasites instantly - both on the fish and anywhere else in the tank. However, being Seachem Metroplex is only ~ 70% active I recommend followup treatment(s) just to be sure. I've cleared both brook & uronema in a single dose when using pharmaceutical grade (99% pure) metro.

Now the above DOES NOT APPLY to Ich & Velvet. Both of those parasites have an encysted stage (tomonts) so you need to treat for at least 30 days in therapeutic copper (or Chloroquine).
Okay - thanks. Just need to be sure as I have been fallow for 3 months, getting ready to put fish back in. Last thing I want is another Brook case.

I'll make sure I have the treatment on hand before I add fish however.