Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Tank Journals & Builds
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/20/2018, 04:41 PM   #26
~RuSh~
Registered Member

Any chance you might explain the water mixing station a little better?

Unread 02/24/2018, 08:57 PM   #27
kalan850
Registered Member

The 40B Aquascape Experiement

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~RuSh~ View Post
Any chance you might explain the water mixing station a little better?

The 150 gph rodi unit is fed from the spigot outside. The filtered water runs into a 44 gallon brute can located on the top of the stand. I'm using a float valve inside the can to keep it from overflowing if I get distracted or get pulled away from tank maintenance. There is a bulkhead installed into the bottom of this can which is then plumbed with a ball valve to allow me to fill the salt mixing brute can below. I have a pump at the bottom of the mixing can that has been plumbed so that the water is pumped up then back down into 2 outputs. These keep the salt from settling at the bottom. You have to drill some holes in the middle between the 2 outputs in order to keep the salt from collecting behind the outputs. The other output is for pumping the saltwater from the mixing can to the tank. With the front valve closed and the rear valve open the water and salt mix. With the front valve open and the rear valve closed. Water is pumped into the tank. I have a tplink wifi outlet that I control the pump with using my phone during mixing or pumping water to the display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by kalan850; 02/28/2018 at 07:56 AM.
kalan850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2018, 08:03 AM   #28
kalan850
Registered Member

Well the tank is cycleing doing its thing you know. It's giving me time to sit back and think. Could be a good thing or a bad thing right lol . As spring and summer approach I know work will get busier and I'll have less time to play with my aquariums. I have a small HVAC/R business and work as a cook in Destin Florida. looking back to my first post "My Goals" for this build has really kept this system moving in the right direction. That being said I think that I should dial the "corals to keep" list back a bit. At this point with work and family I feel like my tanks will be put on the back burner more often than not. I've done what I can with the w/c mixing station to keep maintenance easy but my thoughts as of now seem to drift to a primarily soft coral reef. I feel it will suite my lifestyle better. I would like to have each rock formation covered in only one or 2 specific soft corals to keep a colorful minimalist iwagumi style aquascape with a little bit of movement. Thoughts anyone?

Unread 02/27/2018, 08:39 AM   #29
callsign4223
Registered Member

Check this out.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aqua...279335875?mt=8

callsign4223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2018, 09:11 AM   #30
kalan850
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callsign4223 View Post

Very cool thanks!

Unread 01/22/2020, 08:22 AM   #31
kalan850
Registered Member

WOW, long overdue update... This system has been insanely slow going. still no corals but have a fancy clown, Midas blenny, diamond sleeper goby, and a small clean up crew. The goby is the newest addition. He adds a lot of character to the tank.i ve Decided to remove the skimmer, it was too loud. Instead i'm going to start a refugium. Havnt decided on a fuge light yet though. any suggestions?

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...0xTXupUEnj8csi
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...Zjzdy0dObYqYdM
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...AZw16uQA8om6pd

kalan850 is offline   Reply With Quote