Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/07/2019, 12:46 PM   #1
Kengar
Registered Member

Can Apex "Read" More Than Six Switches?

Full version of Apex can read six switches using a breakout box plugged into the mini din connection in the head unit.

If I want to use more than six switches, is there a way to hook in more breakout boxes?

Thanks.

Unread 02/07/2019, 12:58 PM   #2
vhuang168
Registered Member

The PM1, PM2, PM3 and ASM modules have I/O connections for breakout boxes.

40g custom AIO --> DSA190Pro
vhuang168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/07/2019, 01:06 PM   #3
Kengar
Registered Member

so in other words, I would need to use a module of some sort that connects via the aquabus..... grrrrrr! One reason I went with full Apex was to avoid needing to get separate PM2 to monitor salinity (and also for 0-10V control over some pumps), yet here I am right back to needing another module!

Unread 02/07/2019, 01:14 PM   #4
vhuang168
Registered Member

A PMK (uses the ASM module) also has the i/o port. As well as a PM3 (Dissolved Oxygen) module.

PM1 is useful if you use or plan on using a CaRx as well as giving you another Temp port.

40g custom AIO --> DSA190Pro
vhuang168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/08/2019, 09:13 PM   #5
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Hehe, I did the same thing, I ordered 2 breakout boxes and quickly realized that they aren't daisy chained with aquabus cables like the modules. I had to purchase a PM2 so that I can get the 6 more switches.

It was sort of a blessing just because now I can add a salinity probe to my salt water container.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2019, 11:10 AM   #6
Kengar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlimonpot View Post
Hehe, I did the same thing, I ordered 2 breakout boxes and quickly realized that they aren't daisy chained with aquabus cables like the modules. I had to purchase a PM2 so that I can get the 6 more switches.

It was sort of a blessing just because now I can add a salinity probe to my salt water container.

What kills me is that I bought an EL unit on sale during holiday period, thinking it would be sufficient to buy the PM1 with it to monitor salinity (to make sure things are running fairly evenly with automatic water change, and to scream (in addition to float switch) if ATO for some reason dumps too much fresh water into the system). Then I decided to get a controllable DC pump for my closed loop and, not realizing I could get a separate module for DC control (VDM module), returned the EL (and PM1) and bought the full system just now (NOT on sale....). Granted, I will be getting the WXM to control Vortechs, but they do not appear from online info to include the I/O port (why not?????). So if I decide to install just one more switch, I'll need some other module that I don't really see myself needing at the moment. There are 2 pH ports on the full system, so even if I went with a Ca reactor (probably won't; used them before and was constantly getting vapor lock with excess CO2; will likely go with DOS/DDR), I don't need another module..... and I'll likely spend more in the long run having switched to the full system, even if I had bought the full system when it was on sale....... ain't this a great hobby?!

Unread 02/09/2019, 12:14 PM   #7
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kengar View Post
What kills me is that I bought an EL unit on sale during holiday period, thinking it would be sufficient to buy the PM1 with it to monitor salinity (to make sure things are running fairly evenly with automatic water change, and to scream (in addition to float switch) if ATO for some reason dumps too much fresh water into the system). Then I decided to get a controllable DC pump for my closed loop and, not realizing I could get a separate module for DC control (VDM module), returned the EL (and PM1) and bought the full system just now (NOT on sale....). Granted, I will be getting the WXM to control Vortechs, but they do not appear from online info to include the I/O port (why not?????). So if I decide to install just one more switch, I'll need some other module that I don't really see myself needing at the moment. There are 2 pH ports on the full system, so even if I went with a Ca reactor (probably won't; used them before and was constantly getting vapor lock with excess CO2; will likely go with DOS/DDR), I don't need another module..... and I'll likely spend more in the long run having switched to the full system, even if I had bought the full system when it was on sale....... ain't this a great hobby?!
It's a bitter sweet hobby. Unfortunately the WXM is solely for Ecotech products. It only has 2 aquabus ports

To my knowledge, the PM1, 2 or 3 are the only ones with the I/O expansion. As you know the PM1 has the expansion for either an extra pH or ORP probe, the PM2 has the extra conductivity and the PM3 has the expansion for dissolved oxygen. They all have a slot for temp.

I tried to pic the one that I could use all the ports and the PM2 was it for me.

It is what it is.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2019, 12:25 PM   #8
Kengar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisterlimonpot View Post

It is what it is.

Yep!

Maybe I don't need all the floats....... My RO/DI is a UHE system from SpectraPure, with low and high floats in the product water bin to turn system on/off automatically (LOVE IT!). My plan was to have additional floats below and above the SP floats, read by the Apex, to tell me if something is wrong and RO/DI is not coming on when it is supposed to or to kill power to the RO/DI system (to the booster pump and the solenoid valve that opens when it is to run) to make sure the bin doesn't get overfilled if SP switch fails. I could ditch the low switch if necessary.

Other float to install/monitor is a high float in sump (to kill the Genesis STORM ATO function in event of overkill), and I want to add a doorbell to initiate feed cycles.

So this is five floats/switches. At the moment I think one I/O is enough, but you never know.....

Unread 02/09/2019, 01:23 PM   #9
aaronpentz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kengar View Post
Yep!

Maybe I don't need all the floats....... My RO/DI is a UHE system from SpectraPure, with low and high floats in the product water bin to turn system on/off automatically (LOVE IT!). My plan was to have additional floats below and above the SP floats, read by the Apex, to tell me if something is wrong and RO/DI is not coming on when it is supposed to or to kill power to the RO/DI system (to the booster pump and the solenoid valve that opens when it is to run) to make sure the bin doesn't get overfilled if SP switch fails. I could ditch the low switch if necessary.

Other float to install/monitor is a high float in sump (to kill the Genesis STORM ATO function in event of overkill), and I want to add a doorbell to initiate feed cycles.

So this is five floats/switches. At the moment I think one I/O is enough, but you never know.....
Well. You already solved it.

You cannot use a doorbell switch to enable one of the four feed cycles. You would have to create a virtual outlet and use it as a sudo feed cycle.

Only way to use the built in feed cycles is to use the display or fusion or the local page

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 67 Long
aaronpentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2019, 02:31 PM   #10
geekengineer
Registered Member

I been looking at the apex and this is the one thing that bugs me about it is if you need to add more I/O switches you got to spend like ~$100 just to get another set for a probe adapter you might not need. Why didn't they at least make a aqua bus version instead?

Other interests DYI, 3D printing,

Current Tank Info: 30 gal saltwater and 20 gal sump
geekengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/09/2019, 02:52 PM   #11
geekengineer
Registered Member

Well I am looking at it some more it sounds like it might be a bit cheaper(?) in the long run if you buy the ApexEL. Then you can add in the other probe modules you need so you can get more switches.

Unread 02/09/2019, 04:36 PM   #12
Kengar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekengineer View Post
Well I am looking at it some more it sounds like it might be a bit cheaper(?) in the long run if you buy the ApexEL. Then you can add in the other probe modules you need so you can get more switches.
that might be right. of course, YMMV

Unread 02/09/2019, 05:15 PM   #13
geekengineer
Registered Member

Yeah your correct it would also depend on what you want in the end of the day as well. I haven't sat down and spreadsheet'ed it out or anything yet.