Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/14/2018, 10:19 PM   #76
bertoni
RC Mod

Dosing the calcium part by itself is fine. It will not affect the alkalinity measurably unless it's badly overdosed. You can dose up to 100 ppm in one shot if you dose into a large volume of water. I might break that in half, and check between doses in case the calculation of dose size is off.

Unread 08/15/2018, 07:23 PM   #77
02tts
Registered Member

Having issue with Alkalinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
Dosing the calcium part by itself is fine. It will not affect the alkalinity measurably unless it's badly overdosed. You can dose up to 100 ppm in one shot if you dose into a large volume of water. I might break that in half, and check between doses in case the calculation of dose size is off.

Got it. It’s slowly getting there.
I’m keeping the alk at a steady 8.5 now and calcium currently at 380, will raise to 400 and then see what the daily consumption rate is and keep it there. I’m happy with 380-400 in a FOWLR tank, will make my pumps last that much longer

As for the ph issue I reported, it appears it’s a probe thing.

The pinpoint which is only 3 months old now reads 8.10 (calibrated it today). And the apex, for which I got a new probe today (old probe was 2 years old) reads 8.19 - I’m guessing the apex is a more accurate probe because it closely matches the chemical tests from API and Salifert. I also sprung for the more accurate, longer lasting (supposedly) apex probe which is double sealed or whatever it was they called it, basically a better seal and more $

This means at night my ph (without using a co2 scrubber is able to maintain itself at 8.15-8.19 and during the day probably rises to 8.25-8.3. This is while the skimmer is sucking outside air, if I suck inside air, because the house is so well insulated (Florida) the co2 is higher and the ph drops considerably - been down that road already.

The good news is it appears I no longer have to buy sodalime which also means more room under the tank.
The bad news is I have (2) opened 5G buckets of it

Question, does sodalime have any effect on O2 in the water column or just CO2? Be nice if it would actually add more O2 in the water but if memory serves me right that is not the case, can anyone confirm?

02tts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/15/2018, 09:00 PM   #78
bertoni
RC Mod

Soda lime has no effect on the oxygen level, sorry to say. Our tanks generally are saturated with respect to oxygen, I suspect. Mine always were. Adding more might be problematic as it could lead to the oxygen equivalent of the bends for animals in the system.

Unread 08/15/2018, 09:59 PM   #79
02tts
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
Soda lime has no effect on the oxygen level, sorry to say. Our tanks generally are saturated with respect to oxygen, I suspect. Mine always were. Adding more might be problematic as it could lead to the oxygen equivalent of the bends for animals in the system.

Good point, never thought about it. If the oxygen sensor wasn’t so darn expensive I’d get one.

02tts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2018, 09:00 AM   #80
hkgar
Registered Member

Soda lime removes CO2 from the air and can have the affect of raising ph by about .02

180 gallon, 40 gallon sump, 3 250 W MH + 4 80W ATI T5's, MTC MVX 36 Skimmer, Apex controller Aquamaxx T-3 CaRx

Current Tank Info: A 2 Barred Rabbitfish, Red Head Salon, Yellow/Purple, McMaster Fairy, Possum, 2 Leopard Wrasses, Kole, & Atlantic Blue Tangs, 2 Percula Clown, 3 PJ and 1 Banggai Cardinalfish , Swallowtail, Bellus and Coral Beauty Angels
hkgar is offline   Reply With Quote