Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/23/2018, 03:25 PM   #1
mommahen
Registered Member

Ugly Stages

Ok, so I’ve been reading and learning and cycling. Tank (90 Gal) has been going for about 6 weeks. I just added 2 small blue reef chromis this week. Will probably add a small CUC in the next week or 2.
Everything going well so far

My question, what ugly stages are to be expected?
Green hair algae
Diatoms
Dino
Cyno
Anything else?

Expect the uglies for how long? 6 mo? A year? I have no plans to add corals for another few months.
Just curious. I don’t want to have a knee jerk reaction should anything start looking bad, but also don’t want to let it get out of control

I know it is all patience and balance. Just wondering what the norm is to be expected.

TIA! You guys have been very helpful to me... the creeper of the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mommahen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 03:31 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Its typically.. diatoms.. then green hair/film algae then sometime cyano and usually in that order..
Diatoms typically only last for a few weeks if that as excess silicates are consumed by them.. Once their main food (silicates) are gone then their population dies..

The hair algae can continue indefinitely if you don't keep up maintenance to keep nutrient levels low.. Algaes feed on light and nitrates and phosphates..

In general a month or 2 should be plenty post cycle to be out of the ugly stages and is usually just a few weeks..

Now many of us believe that a tank takes about 8 months to a year to "mature".. and I find that after the 8-12 month mark a tank gets pretty easy to take care of. Nitrates just take care of themselves,etc...
I think thats about the amount of time to develop the anaerobic bacterial populations which can process nitrates into nitrogen gas,etc..
The initial ammonia processing bacteria comes on quick but that other bacteria takes longer..
It could just be that it takes longer to develop the low oxygen environments that the type of bacteria needs/thrives in..

Unread 02/23/2018, 03:54 PM   #3
top shelf
Registered Member

Great advice as always by mcgyvr. If you go very slowly and stick to strict stocking guidelines as mcgyvr stated you can be out of the ugly stages fairly quickly. My tank is nearing the 6 month mark and all I had was diatoms for maybe a week then some light algae on the rocks and sand bed which went away in about a month or less. I started with mostly dry rock and a few pounds of live and now it's all being covered in a healthy layer of coralline with no other visible algae. Maybe I got lucky but I attribute it to taking things very slow and having patients. To give you an idea of how slow at this point the only residents are a few trochus snails, nassarius, 3 soft coral frags, a firefish, and a swales swissguard basslet.

Current tank info: 45g SCA Cube
top shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 03:59 PM   #4
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

My tank had GHA first and now I’m dealing with diatoms. Set the tank up end of September with all dry rock

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 04:05 PM   #5
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommahen View Post
My question, what ugly stages are to be expected?
Green hair algae
Diatoms
Dino
Cyno
Anything else?

Any of that, besides the dinos, would be expected for a few days/weeks at a time.

I would be surprised to see a problem with dinos. Those seem to show up in more mature tanks with nutrient balance issues.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 04:06 PM   #6
mommahen
Registered Member

Perfect! Thank you guys! Exactly the info I was looking for!!

mommahen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 04:11 PM   #7
AlSimmons
Registered Member

For whatever reason when I set up my current 20 gallon long I went from Diatoms straight to Coralline algae. No GHA, no Cyanobacteria etc and I used live rock from various LFS in my area. The really strange thing about this is that I used tap water too. Go figure...

AlSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2018, 07:50 AM   #8
ramseynb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlSimmons View Post
For whatever reason when I set up my current 20 gallon long I went from Diatoms straight to Coralline algae. No GHA, no Cyanobacteria etc and I used live rock from various LFS in my area. The really strange thing about this is that I used tap water too. Go figure...

It may have been because you used cured live rock and didn’t have die off.

Ten tickles!
ramseynb is offline   Reply With Quote