Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Unread 02/07/2007, 02:27 PM   #76
noodles9987
Registered Member

Hey guys. Your all right. At least a little bit. Thats what makes this hobby, well.... a hobby.

Anyway, what was right for me, may not be the best choice for you. however, at the time that I purchased my odyssea unit, I felt it was the best decision. And because I like experimenting, the cost was a bonus.

Whoever said the Maristars are not 650.00 is absolutely 100% correct. Try 900.00 plus with ballasts and lamps and shipping and mounting legs.. Geesh..... I think i did alot better than that.

As for the wiring in my odyssea unit, its all stamped with the UL logo. The wiring from China is stamped UL. The solder I used is UL and so are the heat shrink tubes I bought at home depot. So, I got a bunch of UL approved stuff, but the housing doesn't have a stamp on it. I still think it was a good deal.

Lastly, that UL approval will cost you a minimum of 75K. It goes up from that point, depending on what level of testing you want done. I am also in manufacturing.

Buy what you like. Enjoy the hobby. Don't play with electrical cords near your tank.

Unread 02/07/2007, 03:07 PM   #77
naldopr
Registered Member

let add some photos to compare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread 02/07/2007, 03:28 PM   #78
dhnguyen
Moved On

FYI... Don't think for one minute that just because your equipment has the UL label on it somewhere that you are safe.

The electrical wire could be UL tested for instance but that doesn't mean everything in the unit is UL tested as well.

Having that UL label can be misleading and give you a false sense of security at times methinks.

-EDIT- I see Sherman already beat me to this

Unread 02/07/2007, 04:06 PM   #79
akaatomic
Registered Member

Have you tried contacting aquatraders about the ballasts? I bought this fixture too and I could use any info that you have before I open boxes, buy Kill-A-Watt, etc...

Unread 02/07/2007, 06:36 PM   #80
carlso63
Reefkeeping since 1977

Not sure how people here are coming up with one of these fixtures costing as much as a Maristar fixture (!!!!!! )...

The $650 Maristar unit does not include ballasts or any of the bulbs, mounting legs, hanging kit, etc.

Figure on another $350 - 400 bucks for the Maristar fully equipped.

AND - the one guy here who said he changed out the ballasts and the bulbs did so because he wanted to; out of "concern" about past ballast troubles and wanting a better color light -

not because there was anything particularly wrong / defective with what came in the fixture. Others have posted that they are running the fixture as is with no issues with hot ballasts or any electrical maladies.

I priced a Maristar for my 72" 125g - $1400 complete with bulbs / ballast / etc.

Same specs on an Odyssea unit is $540 plus $70 shipping.

I figure (If I really wanted to) I could swap out all the hardware on the Odyssea and still come out way under $1400...

But again, if what they put in the original works OK, then I would probably just shell out $150 for 3 new 14K bulbs and be quite happy with a $760 (total cost) 1100+ watt fixture on my tank...

Wanna see my tank?

Go to www.utahreefs.com

Current Tank Info: 150g Reef: 3 X 250 Halides (LumenMax3 / IceCap / Pheonix 14K DE), 2 X Gyre 150s, Elite Aquatics sump, dc9000 return, Curve 7, RKE, BRS Dual Reactor, Chaeto / Caulerpa Fuge
Unread 02/08/2007, 07:43 AM   #81
miatawnt2b
Registered Member

Talked with aquatraders. They were awfuly friendly, but stated they don't even sell 150W HQI fixtures, so the these are the only MH odyssea ballasts they have. They were interested to hear about how I knew the ballasts were only 150W, so I explained the kill-a-watt. They also said they didn't believe that a 150W ballast would fire a 250W bulb. (which if I hadn't read it myself in the previously posted thread, I wouldn't have believed it myself)

Anyhow, they offered to RMA the unit free of restocking fee if I wished to return it.

I think i'll keep it.

So my experience with Aquatraders customer service, while not exactly the outcome I wanted, wasn't really a bad experience.

-J

Unread 02/08/2007, 09:44 AM   #82
mitchellmoto
Registered Member

I have bought many items from aquatraders and am waiting on a order I just put in. No thier quality isn't as good as the more expensive brands. Are you all saying you never buy the walmart brand to save a few buck?Do you drive a Toyota or do you drive a Mercedes??
If this is all you can afford or all you want to spend on this unbeliveably expensive hobby then go for it but you do get what you pay for. Has anyone actually heard of someones house burning down from this units???

I bought the older and smaller combo model. When I got it the compacts stoped working after a week so I email them and was starting to get made when they hadn't returned my email after 4 days. well by the end of that week I recieved a package in the mail. The sent me a new ballast free of charge and I hadn't even know. I didn't even send back to old one (hich I fixed simpl wire puled from switch). Well after a year running it the MH ballast stoped working and I was bumed so I took it apart and fixed it too. It was just a loose terminal. It did burn the end of the wire and the wire block a little but not bad now almost 2 years later it is still being used on my refugium now.
So my experience has been up and down but I still buy from them.
Sorry it is so long winded but just adding my experience. Just keep in mind this hobby shouldn't be just for the stupid rich . There has to be items for the stupid poor people too. I seem to be one of the stupid people in the middle. So I buy a bit of both.

Unread 02/08/2007, 10:55 AM   #83
naldopr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by miatawnt2b
Talked with aquatraders. They were awfuly friendly, but stated they don't even sell 150W HQI fixtures, so the these are the only MH odyssea ballasts they have. They were interested to hear about how I knew the ballasts were only 150W, so I explained the kill-a-watt. They also said they didn't believe that a 150W ballast would fire a 250W bulb. (which if I hadn't read it myself in the previously posted thread, I wouldn't have believed it myself)

Anyhow, they offered to RMA the unit free of restocking fee if I wished to return it.

I think i'll keep it.

So my experience with Aquatraders customer service, while not exactly the outcome I wanted, wasn't really a bad experience.

-J
Q for you mia
does the person that help you was a english speaking person?
I understand that before this new models I will say 2 years ago they only have chinise people and was verry dificult to communicate with them. that why the service was kind bad.
me and my friend that he's been buying stuff from them for the longest, figure out that since a couple month ago the new person was fully bilingual.
also the other wired thing is that their filters show a web site www.odyssea-usa.com and don't realy exists
by the way are you going to replace the bulb to a 14k? how your corals respond with this light?
arnaldo

Unread 02/08/2007, 11:09 AM   #84
miatawnt2b
Registered Member

my call to aquatraders was answered by an answering service which took a message. Within 2 hours, I received a call back from an aquatraders employee. The person was obviously Asian from the accent, but spoke very very good english.

-J

Unread 02/08/2007, 11:23 AM   #85
GSMguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mitchellmoto
I have bought many items from aquatraders and am waiting on a order I just put in. No thier quality isn't as good as the more expensive brands. Are you all saying you never buy the walmart brand to save a few buck?Do you drive a Toyota or do you drive a Mercedes??
I
well that analogy makes no sense
in this case its like paying for a v8 toyota and getting a 4 cylynder then when you say hey i paid for a v8 they say well if you dont want it you can send it back. that is horrible service they are saying "if you dont like us selling a defective product send it back otherwise thank us for ripping you off" this is a scam cant you see that

Unread 02/08/2007, 11:43 AM   #86
BurntOutReefer
Registered Member

well said.

Unread 02/08/2007, 11:44 AM   #87
UCanDoIt
Moved On

I live only a few miles from Aquatraders and have gone there about 3 times, never purchased anything electronic as it seems everytime I'm in there, they are repairing a MH/PC light fixture that was returned defective. If you really want a great deal and know someone who lives nearby, their instore refurbished MH/PC units are about 1/2 - 2/3 the original price... but I wouldn't touch it.

They also wholesale saltwater fishes is why I've stopped by to check them out. Still never bought anything to date. Not saying that all their stuff is junk, but the quality control has never improved over the years, it's a hit or miss. If you end up with a great fixture, then you won't have any problems... and there's been quite a few people who are happy with their units. I just wouldn't touch them myself.

Last edited by UCanDoIt; 02/08/2007 at 11:53 AM.
Unread 02/08/2007, 04:16 PM   #88
Kayadad
Premium Member

ummm.... maristars are not the only hqi/t5 combo hoods sold in the usa. Aquamedic has a hqi/t5 combo as well as Current's Outer Orbit light.

and imo those ballasts look much like all of the magnetic ballasts I have seen.

Unread 02/08/2007, 10:18 PM   #89
dz6t
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by miatawnt2b

I think i'll keep it.

-J
good for you. Are you planning to fire those 250w bulbs with 150w ballast?

Unread 02/08/2007, 10:27 PM   #90
luke33
Moved On

People are so harsh. There's a nice gal with a 72" fixture for sale on the FS forum, i just can't do it. Too risky imo. But so tempting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread 02/09/2007, 04:16 AM   #91
frazier
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by UCanDoIt
I live only a few miles from Aquatraders and have gone there about 3 times, never purchased anything electronic as it seems everytime I'm in there, they are repairing a MH/PC light fixture that was returned defective. If you really want a great deal and know someone who lives nearby, their instore refurbished MH/PC units are about 1/2 - 2/3 the original price... but I wouldn't touch it.

They also wholesale saltwater fishes is why I've stopped by to check them out. Still never bought anything to date. Not saying that all their stuff is junk, but the quality control has never improved over the years, it's a hit or miss. If you end up with a great fixture, then you won't have any problems... and there's been quite a few people who are happy with their units. I just wouldn't touch them myself.
I know someone that works for marine depot and they have a warehouse that is full of Aquamedic lights that have been sent back. so really you still can't say that's a bad thing... I think every factory has problems with their produts.them make so many of them.. has to be some bad one's.

Unread 02/09/2007, 07:38 AM   #92
miatawnt2b
Registered Member

Another thing interesting to note. I completely dismantled the ELECTRONIC ballasts yesterday to see if I could find a manufacturer name/number on the circuit board. The only marking was HQI-250.

Yes, I am planning on continuing to fire these bulbs with these ballasts. "fly to failure" I always say... and I could care less about the lifespan of the bulbs.

-J

Unread 02/09/2007, 08:02 AM   #93
Racso
Registered Member

hold on a second, let me see if I get something right...

your kill-a-watt is says you're only pulling 150w, right? So why did everyone jump on the bandwagon that the ballast is only 150? Maybe I am missing something about MH but with other likes, I know that you can put a lower wattage bulb in a higher wattage unit, but not the other way around. The other way around = BAD!!!

or am I missing something?

You MUST have Metal Halides
DSP & BB are BOTH wrong
Your skimmer sucks
Your W/Cs regimen is wrong
Your tank is too small for a Tang

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Leather Reef
Unread 02/09/2007, 09:03 AM   #94
miatawnt2b
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Racso
hold on a second, let me see if I get something right...

your kill-a-watt is says you're only pulling 150w, right? So why did everyone jump on the bandwagon that the ballast is only 150? Maybe I am missing something about MH but with other likes, I know that you can put a lower wattage bulb in a higher wattage unit, but not the other way around. The other way around = BAD!!!

or am I missing something?
True True. Depending on the voltage of the bulb, it is possible to pull lower wattage from the wall. If I calculate correctly (and this is just a rough calculation, assuming a 100% efficient ballast)

150W at 120V (from the wall) = 250W at 200V (at the bulb)

Anyone know the operating voltage of a 250W HQI?

Thanks for bringing this up Rasco. I really feel like a ******* for not having thought of it (given my EE background)

-J

Unread 02/09/2007, 09:15 AM   #95
miatawnt2b
Registered Member

And actually reading your post again Rasco, I'm not sure that's exactly what you were saying either. I'm not sure you were talking about ohm's law, but what you said sure reminded me of it.

Anyhow. I'm not very familiar with MH lamps either, so I don't completely understand what happens if you try to fire a lamp with an incorrect ballast.

It surely can be done with fluorescents though (different bulbs will fire on a standard balast) I mean look at the icecap. IMO, the icecap is just a standard ballast which you wire differently (overdrive per say) to fire different bulbs.

I've done the same thing with a standard electronic Sunpark 2xT12 ballast. I've overdriven PC's, T5's, T12's all on that ballast. So it can surely be done with fluorescents, but again I don't know enough about halides yet to say.

Anyhow, I'm sure that ohm's law does apply as stated in my previous post... it always does... and I still feel stupid for not having thought of it sooner.

-J

Unread 02/09/2007, 09:33 AM   #96
kevin95695
Member of the Registry

UCanDoIt: Where is aquatraders located? I live in the Sacto area and I'm interested in going down to poke around their shop. Thanks!

Current Tank Info: Color chunks in a big water box.
Unread 02/09/2007, 10:16 AM   #97
dhnguyen
Moved On

They are located in San Bruno (near SFO airport)

395 San Bruno Ave E, san bruno, CA

It's nothing more than a big warehouse full of tanks cramped with fish and inverts. Not much of dry goods on the shelf as I think they do most of their sales online. Their prices on livestock is very cheap BUT.... You better QT them if you buy from there. I went there a couple times when I lived in the Bay Area.

D.

Unread 02/09/2007, 10:32 AM   #98
naldopr
Registered Member

TAKE PICTURES!!!!!!!

Unread 02/09/2007, 10:59 AM   #99
BurntOutReefer
Registered Member

I sent them an email re: their "retail" store and coming in to buy stuff.....still no reply back......even said that I had $$$$ to spend.....
so much for Customer Service

Unread 02/09/2007, 11:30 AM   #100
kevin95695
Member of the Registry

Hey D -- Thanks for the description of the store. Do they have many (any?) lights and/or refurb units on the floor?

Current Tank Info: Color chunks in a big water box.
Closed Thread