Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Military Reefers Group
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/24/2011, 06:16 AM   #101
reefman66
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powederblue View Post
Hey guys, in currently serving my first term here in Dover Delaware afb in the AirForce. Thank you all for your support. If any of you are in Dover lmk there aren't many reefers in the area.

God bless
Great to hear from all the mil reefer around the country. Count me in for the club! let me know wht I can do to help. I'm retired now after 21 years of this here great USAF, but still very much involved with the military here at Dover AFB, DE. Been reefing for the past 20 or so years. I know how it is with the move and all the long TDYs and having someone looking after your tanks while your gone. I'm very fortunate to have a very supportive wife to look after the tank while I'm gone. Hit and miss when I get back, however, I didn't have to start all over again.

Powederblue, your not Casey are you? if not let us know who you are so that we mil reefer can get together.

Unread 03/24/2011, 10:35 PM   #102
chasedasea
Registered Member

I'm in, I am a vet married to an active duty member. I have been reefing since 2001 and know the stress and troubles we face. Personally I keep my setup simple and have never had a drilled tank since we move them so often. Nothing like driving cross country with 70-90 gallons of water sloshing around in the back with 100lbs of live rock and $1000+ of livestock...and we get to do it at least every 2-4 years, lol.

Coastie vet, 9 years AD currently living in West Palm Beach, FL

Last edited by chasedasea; 03/24/2011 at 10:41 PM.
chasedasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2011, 12:02 PM   #103
KingwoodMarcia
Registered Member

11 Years in the Marine Corps. Any good ideas out there as far as moving tanks, ie mainly fish only tank. I PCS in June from NAS Corpus to Tampa, Fl.

I have a (2) 150's and a 375. I just need ideas about moving the fish. Last time I gave my fish away, and had TMO move the tanks. I moved the live rock.

1st idea, was to buy those big bug sprayer tubs(new) and run an air line into them and put a small pump to keep the water moving.

Any ideas are VERY much welcome.

Thanks.

KingwoodMarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/25/2011, 11:00 PM   #104
CueMusic
Registered Member

Kingwood, look up Tractor Supply co and see what they have for tubs. I know I got my 110 gal stock tank for dirt cheap there. The sprayer tanks that have caps and built in bulkheads sounds like a great idea. You could even put a battery pump in there for the move. I just heard of a guy who FedEx'ed his fish to himself.

CueMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/26/2011, 07:16 PM   #105
KingwoodMarcia
Registered Member

CueMusic,

That is the plan. Yea, the FEdEX, UPS plan would cost me a small fortune. I have about 30 fish. Ranging from a 14" Passer Angel to 14 Naso, and on and on..................

Thank you for your input Sir.

Unread 03/26/2011, 07:39 PM   #106
PFCDeitz
Registered Member

Im a Army vet. Got cancer on deployment. But i have a 90 and a 10.

PFCDeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2011, 07:05 PM   #107
USNreefer
Registered Member

I'm in, stationed at NAS Oceana in VA Beach. Been in for 6 years now. My wife is stationed at NOB in Norfolk. I have a 125g with 40 long sump. About to purchase another tank for QT so if anyone in the area needs any help let me know.

USNreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/31/2011, 08:59 PM   #108
KingwoodMarcia
Registered Member

There are some good reef stores in the VA Beach area. I was at Little Creek for about a month.

Unread 03/31/2011, 09:29 PM   #109
USNreefer
Registered Member

yeah there are but all the best ones are the private owned ones helluva lot better than the chain stores!

USNreefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2011, 07:06 PM   #110
Sparhawk
Registered Member

Stationed in Hampton Roads, getting ready for a trip to the Sand Box, and can't wait to start up a new system when I return....I've been "dry" for 3 years due to moves, etc. Living vicariously through the forums helps, but doesn't compare to the real thing.

Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2011, 07:56 PM   #111
misoldier06
Registered Member

All the way from SK

Hello. This is an awesome Idea. I just recently started up my first reef tank a little over 6 months ago. The thing is... I had to do this while stationed in seoul, south korea. This has been one of the most challanging quest of my life. I have yet too meet anyone here that is into reefing so i've had to find a do everything on my own and I have to say, I'm getting pretty dang good at sharades. I just recently built a costume tank and DIY lighting, overflow and stand tank. This is a truely awesome hobby and is quickly becoming habit forming. If there is anyone out here in south korea who has a reef or wants to start one, give me a PM.

misoldier06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2011, 08:12 PM   #112
ANGRY JOHN
Registered Member

i love the idea, where do i sign up i had a good group in kings bay ga, and there is a good but much larger group up here in new london ct. This would be a great way to ask for help in a new area, or trade.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon acrylic, 2x250 14k and 2 54 atinic avast skimmer and gen-x mak-4 return
ANGRY JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2011, 08:47 PM   #113
AdamHI
Registered Member

I had been doing all the detailed planning for 75 gal DT and 29 gal sump, with the sump and the LED lighting to be DIY. Almost ready to pull the trigger, but confirmed that before too many months I would be heading out for an extended "field trip" . But I didn't want to dump an immature tank on my wife who supports me setting up a tank - but doesn't want to be the one maintaining it. Our compromise will be I will build and get it mostly purchased and constructed now and until I go, so then we can fill it as soon as I return.
--adam

AdamHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2011, 01:51 PM   #114
Navymedic
Registered Member

Hello to all! Anyone near Orlando?

Navymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2011, 02:05 PM   #115
Newbie Aquarist
Reefing is my middle name

I just caught up with this thread and I want to join and assist as much as I can. I am medically retired from the Army after 17 1/2 years. I am presently living in Clearwater, FL which is on the outskirts of Tampa. I am presently running a 225 gallon reef.

Newbie Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2011, 12:10 AM   #116
Aldridge Corals
Registered Member

Hello Everyone,

An own we of the furniture store on base wants my store to provide a set up that he can sell as is, what is your take? Would you buy? How big of a tank should I offer? How much would you be willing to pay for an as is tank? What kind of livestock would you want to see in it?

Thanks in advance for your input.

By the way my Brother is USCG FDA and my Daughter is joining USCG in Oct. Dad is Vietnam Vet (Marine) and step dad is Army vet.

Aldridge Corals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2011, 08:55 AM   #117
pilotchute
Registered Member

Active duty Army stationed near NYC. I have moved my tank twice cross country. You do get good partial DITY since water weighs so much. If anyone in the are needs any help, let me know.

Kingwood, for moving the fish, I just used old 5 gal salt buckets with lids. I poked a small hole on top of each for air exchange while this lids were on in the car. The sloshing during driving keeps the water moving fine and then when we stopped I put a battery powered air pump in each bucket. At night, when we stopped at a hotel, take them inside so they dont get too cold/hot leave the lid off and run the air pumps. Bring an extra bucket with just salt water so you can do a partial water change when you get to where you are going while you set up the tank.

HTH
Brian

pilotchute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/10/2011, 08:34 PM   #118
sean112280
Registered Member

I am currently on Active Duty in the Army. I am stationed on Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD. I am willing to help out anyone in the area the best I can.

sean112280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2011, 12:16 PM   #119
Joe0813
Registered Member

Im not in the military but i would just like say a BIG thank you to all our men and women that currently and previously served. You guys are the ones out there protecting all of us back home. So thank you from me and my family members. And to anyone that is going on a deployment stay safe.

Joe and family

Current Tank Info: 180 reef
Joe0813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2011, 02:37 PM   #120
clayspst
Registered Member

Active duty CG in south Florida with a 180

Unread 04/14/2011, 03:17 PM   #121
DiverDave2
Registered Member

Hello from Basrah Iraq. Had a 90 before my last push. Started up a nano, then orders came in for the sand box again. I keep it small and PIF the corals to trusted members of the SDreefs club in San Diego. I usually get a fair amount of interest on my investment when I return and a 5-10 gal nano fills up pretty quick. If you're in the San Diego area (or headed that way) look us up at WWW.SDREEFS.COM.

Fair Winds and Following Seas!
DD

Current Tank Info: 5 Gal nano, 36W leds, ReefKeeper Lite, Remora Nano
DiverDave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2011, 03:57 PM   #122
reeftanknewbie
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiverDave2 View Post
Hello from Basrah Iraq. Had a 90 before my last push. Started up a nano, then orders came in for the sand box again. I keep it small and PIF the corals to trusted members of the SDreefs club in San Diego. I usually get a fair amount of interest on my investment when I return and a 5-10 gal nano fills up pretty quick. If you're in the San Diego area (or headed that way) look us up at WWW.SDREEFS.COM.

Fair Winds and Following Seas!
DD
Man don't miss those days in the sand box .....Come home soon and safely.

Current Tank Info: 80 gallon blue line rimless tank
reeftanknewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2011, 06:18 PM   #123
manvsfish
Registered Member

I read all of the above and think that's me. I was thinking of trying to get a local Ft Bliss reef club going. I like cuemusic's idea for a name, BAAR. But what about the lady's? How's Soldiers At Arms Reefers, SAAR?

Unread 04/14/2011, 07:09 PM   #124
CueMusic
Registered Member

SAAR works for me also. I like it. Or just simply Military Reef Club. I am truly impressed with everyone who has responded and offered help. I for one have made a connection with a fellow reefer and helped his with his tank while on Duty. I would like to hear about others success stories from our little club. If anyone else has made a connection and helped someone out please tell us about it.
Thanks everyone for your service and support.

CueMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/16/2011, 05:42 AM   #125
outlaw15w
Registered Member

I am active duty Army (15 yrs) this is a very good idea where do i sign up?

outlaw15w is offline   Reply With Quote