Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/14/2020, 11:36 AM   #1
Littlelife
Registered Member

Dry rock cycling with live rock ?

Hi
I’m doing a nano with dry rock and sand. It’s been 4 days now. Today I’ve added a live rock with bacteria already established in it to my sump from a healthy running tank. I’ve already added 2 clownfish and they seem to be ok. I’ve heard that adding fish while cycling will help to produce ammonia. And im guessing the bacteria from live rock in my sump will help to break down those ammonia to nitrates and so on..
I’m I on the right track ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Littlelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/15/2020, 02:03 PM   #2
Sk8r
RC Mod

No,no. No live fish. It damages them for life. Get them out to a quarantine tank asap. Go to the New to Hobby forum and read the 'stuck' posts atop that forum. That will help you a lot. And ask qiestions, too---happy to help. Welcome to RC!

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/16/2020, 07:18 AM   #3
Timfish
Registered Member

Live animals really shouldn't be used to cycle a system from scratch. Adding live rock can introduce all the needed bacteria to skip the initial cycle but it should be verified with testing before adding fish. Guessing isn't the best way to proceed and patience is essential for success.

Unread 10/19/2020, 05:26 PM   #4
Littlelife
Registered Member

My bad for adding those clowns clowns are active and eating properly tho. It seems they are very happy. It’s been almost 2 weeks now. Today I’ve tested for ammonia with the Seachem ammonia badge and it shows 0.02ppm. API nitrate shows 0ppm.
I thought I’ll see some ammonia and nitrate readings. But I did not. Can any one tell me why is this? I’m thinking because of the live rock with the beneficial bacteria that I’ve added to my sump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Littlelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/20/2020, 09:35 PM   #5
Timfish
Registered Member

I'd say you were very lucky but you're right, it's the live rock and bacteria that let you get the tank cycled so quickly and saved you from killing your clowns. With properly "cured" or aged live rock and live sand the initial cycling can be skipped but there's such a wide range of quality with live rock it's just not advisable to just throw everything together. I always use fresh maricultured live rock because it's the best source for sponges and endoliths so critical for reef systems. However it has to be quarantined for a month just like everything else. If I threw a few peices in a tank as soon as it arrived it likely would have some dieoff that could kill any fish. Patience and deliberation really are critical for long term success with reef systems

Unread 10/22/2020, 02:38 AM   #6
ckaz
Registered Member

Would keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrites and be ready to a water change should anything go awry, especially having fish in the tank. High ammonia - above 1ppm- can damage their gills permanently.

ckaz is offline   Reply With Quote