Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Seahorses & Pipefish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/14/2016, 03:35 AM   #1
Kylieeastley
Registered Member

Seahorse injured - attacked by blenny

Hi, I purchased a blenny (having read they were placid and fine with seahorses) and after a couple of weeks it started nipping at the seahorses. I googled and read that it was most likely eating algae off seahorse. The seahorses did not seem to react and I could see no marks. Today the blenny seems to be constantly savaging them, mostly the biggest male, and they were reacting. When I checked I found the big male has a heap of skin off his back. I have now seperated the blenny - and will rehome him. But is there anything I can do for the seahorse?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (67.9 KB, 68 views)
Kylieeastley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2016, 07:18 AM   #2
vlangel
Registered Member

I would keep your watet quality up double time and if you have a probiotic, use it. If that skinned up area gets a suspicious look at all I would immediately move him to a QT and treat with Furan 2 or triple sulfa. I also would get some live food on hand in case you need to gut load it with antibiotics.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2016, 06:14 PM   #3
BlueCat1949
Registered Member

That is a pretty horrible picture of the males back. This is why I never kept seahorses with other tank mates, even ones that are supposed to be safe. I hope he can recover but this is not good at all.

BlueCat1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2016, 07:53 PM   #4
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat1949 View Post
That is a pretty horrible picture of the males back. This is why I never kept seahorses with other tank mates, even ones that are supposed to be safe. I hope he can recover but this is not good at all.
O my, I somehow missed there was a pic! That is awful. He probably should be QT and given antibiotics right away. Actually I would feel more comfortable if someone else with more experienced answered this as I am not sure how to counsel.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2016, 10:09 PM   #5
rayjay
Registered Member

I agree, hospital tank immediately. (10g tank with heavy aeration using open ended air lines, slowly drop temp to 68°F)
Treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic ( I use Furan II) and I would also treat the wound directly each day with Bio-Bandage (has Neomycin and Methylene Blue in it).

Current Tank Info: Seahorses
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/16/2016, 06:44 AM   #6
DanU
Registered Member

Can you post a couple more pics from different angles?

Dan

DanU is offline   Reply With Quote