Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/12/2019, 05:34 PM   #1
HarrisonMG
Registered Member

Pandora Palythoas Growing like weeds

I got some really pretty Pandoras 6 months ago, and they were purple, green, and orange. There were around 10 polyps. Now, there are more like 20, and they are an ugly brown. They are spreading far and wide, my quickest growing corals. I don't like them as they are.

Are there any steps I could take to help them regain their coloration?

Otherwise, what about removal? Do these tend to be poisonous? I've seen on some websites they are referred to as zoanthids, not playthoas. I would much prefer to stick some carbon in the sump, put on some gloves, and pull or cut them off the rock and into a ziplock (underwater, so no air exposure). Is this an ok idea? I know it's really easy to get hospitalized.

Thanks
Harrison

HarrisonMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2019, 06:10 PM   #2
billdogg
Registered Member

some pictures would help differentiate between zoanthid and palythoa sp. Zoas are generally fairly benign other than their abaility to spread rapidly. Many palythoas, however, can put you in the hospital or even kill you if not handled correctly.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2019, 06:37 PM   #3
HarrisonMG
Registered Member

Then and now

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 56617238164__648508A6-E73E-46FB-9CBB-7F0360E5A1FB.jpg (75.3 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg PXZ_0086.jpg (76.4 KB, 98 views)
Unread 06/19/2019, 09:38 PM   #4
HarrisonMG
Registered Member

bump

Unread 06/19/2019, 10:37 PM   #5
VisionsOfSalt
Registered Member

How long before they lost the coloration? Was it after you moved them higher towards the light? What lighting are you using? Any changes in water chemistry? From first pic to now?

Pandora’s are a paly so you definitely want to be careful with eradication and/or removal. I’ve read some people had success killing pest zoas by using aiptasia x in the same way you’d use it for aiptasia. Also have read about using superglue. Couple things to google if you can’t get them colored back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VisionsOfSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2019, 10:37 PM   #6
VisionsOfSalt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionsOfSalt View Post
How long before they lost the coloration? Was it after you moved them higher towards the light? What lighting are you using? Any changes in water chemistry? From first pic to now?

Pandora’s are a paly so you definitely want to be careful with eradication and/or removal. I’ve read some people had success killing pest zoas by using aiptasia x in the same way you’d use it for aiptasia. Also have read about using superglue. Couple things to google if you can’t get them colored back up.

Pest palys, not zoas

VisionsOfSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/19/2019, 10:44 PM   #7
HarrisonMG
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionsOfSalt View Post

It took I think about a month to turn completely brown. Use 4 t5 Bulbs out of 6 for 6 hrs a day. They have always been dead center in the tank. First pic was day 2 in December, second is March. They can no longer be moved as they are on the rcok itself now. I do own aiptasia x, I feel like that could be a bit reckless though and think ive heard from some people it doesn't do a thing to them. But, if I ever decide I don't like enough to take up all that space or they really get out if control I just gotta do whatever it takes I guess. I've seen videos of people remove all rock and in buckets using bone cutters to take off by rock and hopefully not touch the coral itself. Then they can sell it too. Maybe if they separate from across that rocks I could try that. Thanks!

Unread 06/20/2019, 05:24 AM   #8
NYCBOB
Registered Member

Remove them now before it reaches plaque proportion. They spread fast and kill other corals. I manually removed mine from time to time.

NYCBOB is offline   Reply With Quote