Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/23/2019, 04:52 AM   #1
RyvBoy
Registered Member

Skimmer problem! Help!

As you can see in the video the skimmer just stops doing bubbles...

I try as you can see in the video to reboot it, but it makes bubble just for 10/15 seconds and than it stops and just "push" water

https://youtu.be/yTaKnNFw-24

RyvBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2019, 08:06 AM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Try cleaning the venturi out.
You can do 3 things.
1 -soak in hot water or run hot water through while running.
2 - soak in vinegar then a hot water flush.
3 - using your fingers twist a drill bit the correct size into the venturi to ream it out.
MY preferred method is #3
Also clean the pump while your at it.

Unread 08/23/2019, 08:11 AM   #3
mcgyvr
Registered Member

I'm not all that familiar with that one and the video is pretty darn short to see whats really going on there
But are you sure its not in too deep of water?
Seems like the water level is rising too high causing it to go into shutdown..

Unread 08/23/2019, 09:18 AM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

To me it looks like the pump is shutting down. I also hear what sounds like a clicking in the background and if that is coming from the pump, then you definitely need to inspect the motor. I would suggest taking the pump apart and inspecting the impeller and motor. It could be that there is something caught in the impeller or buildup in there causing the motor to go into a protection mode. Depending on the age of the skimmer and pump, it could be there is an issue with the motor block. Also, as Vinny mentioned, make sure to inspect the venturi port for salt buildup inside the port where the airline connects to the motors intake. Buildup in there will restrict the airflow causing the pump to push more water than it should. While I don't think that is your issue, it's something to check while you are in there.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2019, 11:01 AM   #5
RyvBoy
Registered Member

sorry for the short video.... i explain myself better...

the first part is how I found the skimmer... if i pause and restart it ( which i did in the video- the clicking is me rebooting the pump) it starts for a moment to work properly (as you can see in the second part of the video) but after a bit it goes back as in the first part

i already tried to disassembly it and it seemed all ok. i'll try with the venturi

the skimmer has 5 months

Unread 08/23/2019, 12:06 PM   #6
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyvBoy View Post
sorry for the short video.... i explain myself better...

the first part is how I found the skimmer... if i pause and restart it ( which i did in the video- the clicking is me rebooting the pump) it starts for a moment to work properly (as you can see in the second part of the video) but after a bit it goes back as in the first part

i already tried to disassembly it and it seemed all ok. i'll try with the venturi

the skimmer has 5 months
I think your issue is the motorblock. While it may "look" OK, there could be some buildup that is causing resistance and making the motor go into protection mode. I would take the pump completely apart removing the impeller from the motor and soak the motor, impeller and pump cover in vinegar for 10 minutes. Then scrub it inside and out, rinse and reassemble. if that doesn't solve it, I'd contact the place where you bought it from because it could be that you have a faulty motorblock.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 08/23/2019, 04:33 PM   #7
RyvBoy
Registered Member

maybe here you can understand better. at second 0:21 it stop working properly

https://youtu.be/YNjBP7QzE90

Unread 08/23/2019, 04:53 PM   #8
Daddi0
Registered Member

It looks like your skimmer is boiling over and causing the skimmer to eject out the overflow and shutting the air off. At about 4 minutes, the video shows theirs doing the same as yours. This is a safety feature.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Upgep18Ox5A
cheers! mark

Unread 08/23/2019, 04:58 PM   #9
Daddi0
Registered Member

Yea, you can see in your video that the skimmer works good until it hits the overflow max and plugs the line.

Unread 08/23/2019, 05:09 PM   #10
RyvBoy
Registered Member

boiling over? what do you mean

Unread 08/23/2019, 05:13 PM   #11
Daddi0
Registered Member

Somewhere in your skimmer there is a device that determines that your skimmer is full of skim mate and this device somehow diverts water to the airline. This stops the skimming til you empty the skimmer cup. Does it show this in your manual?
You must figure out why it is flooding the air intake. (sorry, I don't have this skimmer or I could tell you exactly)
Cheers! Mark

Unread 08/23/2019, 05:33 PM   #12
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddi0 View Post
Somewhere in your skimmer there is a device that determines that your skimmer is full of skim mate and this device somehow diverts water to the airline. This stops the skimming til you empty the skimmer cup. Does it show this in your manual?
You must figure out why it is flooding the air intake. (sorry, I don't have this skimmer or I could tell you exactly)
Cheers! Mark
You might be onto something there. I think the way it works is that when the water level gets too high inside the body, the overflow chamber floods and blocks the air intake shutting the pump down (as the load on the pump would suddenly change) or at least blocking the air intake. It could be a case of the sump level being too high or the valve for setting the level inside the skimmer being closed too much.

Unread 08/23/2019, 05:38 PM   #13
aaronpentz
Registered Member

The water level in the skimmer is too high. Filling this smaller tube. Once it gets too high you can see the upside down air I let tube that is sucking water from the auxiliary tube with the water level sticker on it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 67 Long
aaronpentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2019, 05:39 PM   #14
Daddi0
Registered Member

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/190fc...687948a634.pdf
You can remove the safety device and plug the hole at the base with the provided cap

Unread 08/24/2019, 01:35 AM   #15
RyvBoy
Registered Member

https://youtu.be/p1M6cW1HCR8

this is the situation when it works properly. the water in the sump is ok. 22cm (should be between 15 and 25)

I tried to disassembly it again and I don't know why now it seems to work, even if this already happened, reason why I expect it to fail again in 1/2 days

Unread 08/24/2019, 11:14 PM   #16
DENIZSEAMAR
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyvBoy View Post
https://youtu.be/p1M6cW1HCR8

this is the situation when it works properly. the water in the sump is ok. 22cm (should be between 15 and 25)

I tried to disassembly it again and I don't know why now it seems to work, even if this already happened, reason why I expect it to fail again in 1/2 days
I guess you misunderstood the answers. They probably were talking about the water level INSIDE the skimmer not in your sump. When the skimmer cup is full then your skimmer automatically shuts off airtake. At least I understood lile this.

DENIZSEAMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2019, 02:25 AM   #17
RyvBoy
Registered Member

so my question is - why does the cup fill up? as you can see in the last video when the skimmer works properly the cup is ok

Unread 08/25/2019, 10:51 AM   #18
Daddi0
Registered Member

I would recommend re-reading the set-up instructions and if you don't need the skim shut-off, set it up without it.
Cheers! Mark

Unread 08/26/2019, 10:15 PM   #19
Daddi0
Registered Member

Any update?