Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/31/2018, 09:45 PM   #1
devimik
Registered Member

Ostreopsis Ovata?

I've had Dinoflagellates in my tank since treating Bryopsis with Fluconazole. Got a microscope I had been wanting today and took these shots. I think it's Ostreopsis - anyone agree? I think the clear spindly ones are Cylindrotheca diatoms.

Coral Beauty, Green Filefish, One Spot Foxface, Springeri Dottyback, 2 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Watchman Goby, Flame Hawkfish, Spotted Mandarin

Current Tank Info: 90g Softie Reef, 150# live rock, 30g sump w/refugium, Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO, Octopus NWB 150 Skimmer, Mag 950 return, Maxspect 120w Razor 10K LED light X2, BRS Phosphate Reactor; Apex Lite
devimik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2018, 11:56 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

I can't id much of anything of that size. Maybe someone else can help, though.

Unread 11/01/2018, 01:40 AM   #3
sfdan
Registered Member

Yup that is 100% Ostreopsis. They are easy to identify even with much less zoom based on their circular motion, which you can see in these videos, but if you have a microscope capable of this type of zoom and focus then it also makes it easy

My first Ostreopsis bloom also happened right after I dosed Fluconazole leading me into a very depressing next few months of battling them. But if I knew then what I know now, I'd have probably taken care of them in a few weeks with minimal losses. Ostreopsis are toxic and can cause a lot of damage, but are very treatable with the right strategy and equipment.

Read this thread in which I gave advice to somebody else dealing with Ostreopsis. Feel free to PM me or quote me if you have any other questions.

sfdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/01/2018, 07:49 PM   #4
devimik
Registered Member

Thanks - I did see them spinning in a wider scope view - I'll check out the thread and let you know if I have questions. This stuff is frustrating, but I'm determined to get rid of it.

Coral Beauty, Green Filefish, One Spot Foxface, Springeri Dottyback, 2 Ocellaris Clowns, Yellow Watchman Goby, Flame Hawkfish, Spotted Mandarin

Current Tank Info: 90g Softie Reef, 150# live rock, 30g sump w/refugium, Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO, Octopus NWB 150 Skimmer, Mag 950 return, Maxspect 120w Razor 10K LED light X2, BRS Phosphate Reactor; Apex Lite
devimik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/13/2018, 09:39 AM   #5
MarlinDreams
Registered Member

You're a lifesaver sfdan, thanks for the information on cures.
JC

MarlinDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/20/2018, 12:06 AM   #6
rjjr1963
Registered Member

Ostreposis. UV filter cleaned them out in about 2 days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o2alraNmsY

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon reef
rjjr1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinoflagellates, ostreopsis