Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/28/2019, 07:30 AM   #551
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Here's a vid from last week, not the best quality, but all of the critters poked their heads out to say hi:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfe-8I--cvE

My FW build is moving along, slow but steady. I used spray foam to fill in some gaps and add some bulk (posted last time) and have since carved and sanded the foam. I got rid of a good bit of the expansion, to improve the look and texture, and to reduce the amount of foam overall to help keep them from floating.

Here is a before carving/sanding pic:

Here are some pics after carving/sanding:

Fitted in the tank:

The next steps will be to first, cover the pipe with plaster wrap to give the grout something to hold on to. Then, apply the grout for the final bulk and root shaping, including more carving for realism. After that, I'll paint the structure with Drylok mixed with cement dyes to get the coloration that I want.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2019, 10:41 AM   #552
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Another cool vid! It's fun to visit your cast of characters. Did the little seagrass make it? I didn't see it. If not, my guess would be inadequate light. I know you have better lights for the cube.

Your root project looks great! I can't wait to see the final result. If I had one criticism, it would be that it's maybe a little large. I had the same issue with mine - it came out bigger than I expected. You'll make it work. Once you get the rest of the scaping done it will all come together.

What do you plan to put in this tank? Keep us informed!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/29/2019, 11:02 AM   #553
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Another cool vid! It's fun to visit your cast of characters. Did the little seagrass make it? I didn't see it. If not, my guess would be inadequate light. I know you have better lights for the cube.

Your root project looks great! I can't wait to see the final result. If I had one criticism, it would be that it's maybe a little large. I had the same issue with mine - it came out bigger than I expected. You'll make it work. Once you get the rest of the scaping done it will all come together.

What do you plan to put in this tank? Keep us informed!
Thank you Michael. The seagrass didn't make it, I think. My fish, or perhaps the crabs, uprooted it. I don't think that the fish would uproot a more substantial root system. I should have transferred it to my other tank. It was cool to see though.

As far as the roots go, they will serve the purpose of hiding a rather large and powerful powerhead. I had planned the size around this idea. Yeah, they're large, but with lighting, it should look nice with a shaded area too, just like my section of a stream undercut bank. Unfortunately, they hide some of the nicer parts of the faux rock. I can always choose to remove the roots though, because they won't be permanently affixed in the tank, if they become an eyesore or don't look good. I'm hoping for the best, LOL.

Leading to what will be in this tank...It's a native stream tank that will support minnows, shiners and darters found locally to me. I may or may not keep sculpins, madtoms, or small sunfish, as long as I have a plan to relocate them to our local public aquarium in place first. These latter fish tend to eat darters, and they're going to really be the feature fish of this tank.

Oh, by the way, I meant to tell you that I had your suggestions in mind when I was carving the foam off the roots, trying to get as much off as I could to keep them from being too buoyant. On the back side, I'd hollowed them out, nice and out of sight. From the front and sides, they look full.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Unread 01/29/2019, 11:17 AM   #554
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Sorry, I keep forgetting the powerhead! Ironic, since I had the same scenario. It's going to be great!

Unread 01/29/2019, 01:25 PM   #555
Chasmodes
Registered Member

No problem. No sense reading back, I'm happy to chat about it LOL. Basically, flow will be left to right looking at the tank, with the powerhead hidden under the roots at mid-depth. I have a cannister filter too, and the intake is hidden in the rock work, and the spray bar will trickle water over the top of the roots. I think that both current sources will mimic stream flow. It won't be completely unidirectional flow, of course, but I can justify that in my mind by calling it a stream eddy tank

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 02/07/2019, 06:58 AM   #556
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I lost one of the male naked gobies last night, found it dead in the front of the tank. There are no disease symptoms now, or in recent past. I ran water tests and everything looks good, zero ammonia and nitrite, for example.

I'm confused because the other day, the fish was eating out of my hand, and was very active. I have lots of dinoflagellates in the tank. Could that have been a problem if he'd eaten any of them?

I don't know their lifespan. This goby is a full adult, and we collected him as a 1" juvenile about a year and a half ago. Could it be just old age? Anyone know how long these gobies live?

All of the other fish and inverts are doing great.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 02/12/2019, 11:10 AM   #557
Chasmodes
Registered Member

My fished posed again for me, so time to share some pics again.

Male Striped Blenny (Chasmodes bosquianus):

A pair of male striped blennies challenging each other's territory:

A skilletfish (Gobisox strumosus), blending in:

Side view of a skilletfish:

Another angle of a skilletfish, and a female naked goby (Gobiosoma bosc) inside an oyster shell:

Another male striped blenny peeking out from a crevice:

The queen of the tank, a female striped blenny:

A handsome male naked goby.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 02/12/2019, 12:56 PM   #558
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Nice pics! Great looks at your fish. Root?

Unread 02/12/2019, 03:42 PM   #559
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thank you Michael!

My next step with the root structure is to cover the remaining PVC pipe with plaster cloth, to add bulk and get rid of man made looking lines, and give the grout something to hold onto. I don't want it breaking off. I wanted to get that done this past weekend, but other things came up that demanded my time, so much so that I didn't even have much time to watch my fish.

After that, I may add some more structural detail, and then it will be time to apply the grout. The final step would be to seal it all in with Drylok with cement dye to give it a natural color, and to keep the pH from the grout from being an issue. The grout should give it sufficient weight to prevent buoyancy from the foam.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 02/12/2019, 03:50 PM   #560
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Cool! I look forward to the finished product. It's gonna be great!

Unread 02/14/2019, 06:46 AM   #561
Chasmodes
Registered Member

It's strange that the dynamics of our closed systems change without our input at time. An example in my tank is that for the past six months, I had some pretty heavy red cyanobacteria growing in my tank. Now, it's dying off, or appears to, with no other competition that I can see. Last week, my ammonia and nitrite were zero, and I assumed that the cyano consumed those nutrients. Last night, my tests showed the same thing, yet I haven't changed the feeding habits at all, and the cyano is fading away. I still have a dino issue, but even those are not as bad as they were a month ago. Weird...but hey, I'll take it as progress. I bought some Chemiclean a while back, but have yet to use it.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 02/14/2019, 08:27 AM   #562
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

That is pretty wild. I guess it illustrates how much more goes on after the initial cycle. And how much Nature does to help, no matter how much or how little we do.

Unread 03/06/2019, 05:06 PM   #563
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I don't have any pics or vids this time, but the tank is doing well. My basement doesn't have heat, and we're having a cold winter, so my water temperature has been just below 60F degrees for a while now. It was 58 yesterday. I think someone needs to shoot Punxatawny Phil and hire Punxatawny Bob to predict winters from now on. I haven't seen fish fry in a few weeks. My guess is that the 60 degree mark is about as low as any of these species will go to lay eggs. The male blennies are loosely guarding their shells, and some have changed their favorite shell. The gobies hang out in any shell that the other fish don't chase them out of, and are not defending any of the shells except against each other. The large male skilletfish still hangs out in his shell, defending it all the time, but is not guarding eggs now, and probably hasn't been guarding them for a while now. I have not seen any eggs laid in several weeks now. It could also be that the fry won't hatch below 60 degrees, so why would these fish waste all that energy? Instead, they're all getting nice and fat. We've seen such nature in other fish species, females fat with eggs in late winter and spawn when the temperature is right. This is especially true with walleye, musky, bass, and yellow perch this time of year.

Anyway, I'm guessing the spawning routines will once again go full swing when my basement temps heat up in spring, just like in the wild. After all, when planning this tank, I was hoping this type of cycle would happen. Now, it's a bit disappointing to not see fry swimming around...kinda selfish of me, right? But, it's more like nature, I think.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 03/06/2019, 10:24 PM   #564
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Good update! It sounds like you're enjoying the seasons with your own little slice of Nature.

Unread 03/14/2019, 07:47 AM   #565
Chasmodes
Registered Member

There isn't much different going on in the tank than my last update, but, even when I don't have time to watch it, I wind up watching for an hour or more. So, this is part of my hour watching last night, right before feeding time. I snuck in before they could see me and beg at the glass for food, almost. One skilletfish was waiting for me before I got there. I feed them at about the same time every night. I wonder if they also have "internal clocks" like we do. Hope you all like the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttcj3N53R10

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 03/14/2019, 09:31 AM   #566
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Ahh, a relaxing vid! I like the part where an oyster shell turned out to be a fish!

Any progress on the root? It's going to be so cool!

Unread 03/14/2019, 09:37 AM   #567
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thank you Michael.

No progress on the root. I may and try to get something done this weekend. I have a bit of cabin fever, as I've been sick with a sinus infection for over 2 weeks, so, I'm itching to get outside. Prior to that, I was on vacation in Florida for 5 days. But, believe me, the root is always on my mind, making me feel guilty for not working on it, LOL.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 03/14/2019, 09:42 AM   #568
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

No guilt! Take your time. I was just curious.

I've got cabin fever too! We just got a ton of snow and I can't snowboard or ski until my leg gets better.

Unread 03/14/2019, 01:02 PM   #569
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
No guilt! Take your time. I was just curious.

I've got cabin fever too! We just got a ton of snow and I can't snowboard or ski until my leg gets better.
Ah, you're not pressuring me, just curious on progess. Naw, the guilt comes from within me and only from there. I want to finish this. When I was sick, I could have worked on it, but really, I didn't feel up to doing anything during that time.

I hope you leg heals fast so you can take advantage of the rest of the winter sports out there! We're almost looking to spring here. For my tank, that's a good thing...collecting season starts up when the Bay warms a bit more!

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 03/19/2019, 06:39 AM   #570
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Not a good report today...I lost one of my skilletfish. I can't find any visual cause of death. The fish was eating well, good weight, seemed healthy just the night before, with no signs of parasitism, and I found it dead, belly up on the bottom last night. I checked ammonia and nitrite and they were zero, so not sure what happened. All of my fish seem healthy, no scratching. The only thing that I could think of is that it could have been an internal parasite, but I'd expect it to look sickly. Weird.

Well, these fish are two years old now, so maybe that is their life span? I need to research this.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 03/19/2019, 05:25 PM   #571
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

I'm sure it was old age. Maybe do a water change?

Unread 03/20/2019, 05:57 AM   #572
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I hope so Michael, thanks. Everyone else looks great. But, that's what I thought a few nights ago too. I can't rule out aggression, although, I haven't seen it. I read an article about keeping skilletfish and it said that once they reach full adulthood, that they may start killing each other off. I've seen a few small squabbles, but no actual biting, just a quick chase away from an oyster shell now and then. But, maybe more happens while I'm at work than I'm aware of. That said, when I examined the dead fish, there were no signs of an attack. There weren't any tears or frays in the fins, and the eyes were OK. So, that makes me think that it wasn't killed.

In a way, I'd rather find that a disease is the cause because then I'd know what action to take to help the rest of the fish out. Not knowing makes me worry even more.

I am planning on doing a water change and a little clean up, rearranging some oyster shells that have moved, and move some sand around to even it up a bit around the tank.

I've become attached to these fish, and my attitude towards keeping a native tank has really evolved. When I began this process, my mindset was that if a fish died, I could easily replace it. Now, it's more like I'll do anything I can for the fish that I have as to not have to replace them. This is just like I'd behave had I bought the fish, which is the right thing to do. Sure, I can get more, but, it's my duty to do my best for what I collect, 100%.

I think that the best thing that I can do is to hurry up the larger tank build. They'll all be better off. I need to get me butt in gear.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 03/20/2019, 06:22 AM   #573
McPuff
Registered Member

Do you feed medicated foods at all? Do a couple weeks (day on, day off) of metronidazole and kanaplex. That should eliminate any gut parasites. I do this for all fish in QT and since I make a batch of food, I just soak it all. This means, my fish in DT will also get medicated foods. It can't hurt!

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2019, 08:51 AM   #574
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Do you feed medicated foods at all? Do a couple weeks (day on, day off) of metronidazole and kanaplex. That should eliminate any gut parasites. I do this for all fish in QT and since I make a batch of food, I just soak it all. This means, my fish in DT will also get medicated foods. It can't hurt!
No, I haven't tried that. Maybe I should. Thanks for the suggestion.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 03/21/2019, 07:18 AM   #575
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I also keep a 20g high oyster reef brackish aquarium, but this is an invertebrate tank only right now. I don't know if I'll keep fish in it or not. I don't do a ton of maintentance on it, just let the inverts do their thing, feed them daily with flakes, and feed the anemones and crabs frozen shrimp now and then. There are at least two species of mud crabs, 3 ghost anemones, about 20 grass shrimp, a few live mussels, a few barnacles, a bunch of amphipods that rarely come out, and a bunch of clam worms (bristle worms). I feed the filter feeders oyster egg solution as well a couple times each week. Once in a while, I get a treat when the crabs, amphipods come out, and also like to watch the anemones eat. Well, last night, I had quite a surprise when I found a grass shrimp feasting on live remains of a half eaten bristle worm that was in the swimming/mating form. I never thought that grass shrimp would do that since they're so timid. I always thought bristle worms would be aggressive too, but, they are not at all aggressive and really help as part of the clean up crew. Anyway, I have a short video of the grass shrimp feast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPmXDNMQolY

--Kevin Wilson