Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/05/2017, 04:06 PM   #1
CL8869
Registered Member

Is it worth it?

Just wondering from a financial standpoint. Is it worth picking up another pair of clowns to breed and raise the fry? Has anyone actually made enough cash doing this to put the money back into buying supplies for their main display tank etc?

Seriously considering doing this, was just wondering if you think its worth it. Thanks!

CL8869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 04:42 PM   #2
windlasher
Registered Member

Raising clowns isn't simply buying a pair and turning up the Barry White. It's a massive endeavor and usually a complete failure. Search here for some very long threads on it. There are quite a few. Then buy the following book and read it three or four times before you decide.

https://www.amazon.com/Clownfishes-J.../dp/B00DDTQ6AI

windlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/05/2017, 04:49 PM   #3
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Unless you have a big plan of becoming a viable commercial hatchery, which requires a lot of work, it's not worth it from the financial perspective.
Coral farming is easier but also more competitive. That said, I've had better ROI from coral fragging than I would with clownfish breeding on a hobbyist level.

CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2017, 07:49 AM   #4
hbrochs
Registered Member

It's not worth it as a money maker. Sales can help offset the cost of the hobby, but you do it because you enjoy the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Innovative Marine SR-80
hbrochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2017, 08:35 AM   #5
CL8869
Registered Member

Thanks for the honest advice. And the turning up the barry white comment made me lol. Reading a lot of those threads, it does seem it is a TON of work. Way different than freshwater breeding that is for sure.

I think I will just leave my pair in my 180 and not bother with it. I don't think it is for me.

Unread 03/26/2017, 12:09 AM   #6
Mashaw
Registered Member

I have a mate that does breed, i would not say he has it down to an art, but he is not far off it, but yes he does make some good money, enough money to cover his cost for his breeding set up and his display and even enough money to put a little back in his pocket

If you do it for the fun to start with and understand you wont make anything huge, i think you could very well come close to breaking even or atleast making afew dollars to help cover costs

Mashaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/28/2017, 01:30 AM   #7
ThRoewer
Registered Member

I tried it at a time when there wasn't much competition and even then it was impossible to break even. And I had it down to a near industrial level, so formalized that my mom could do it. The issue are energy cost (light, heat, pumps), water and of course space. It's no coincident that many of the more efficient hatcheries are in locations where they can get at least some of those factors for free.

Then there is the issue of selling off stock. Every fish you can't sell on time cost you money and is taking up space you can't use for the next batch. So you need to have a reliable customer base that take the fish you breed off your hands - not an easy task...

And finally, when you get large enough you may need to hire staff.

All of this doesn't even account for food cultures in case you want to breed something other than clownfish (clownfish can be bred with brine shrimp, frozen and dry food alone).

Current Tank Info: 200 gal 4 tank system (40x28x24 + 40B + 40B sump tank + 20g refugium) + 30x18x18 mixed reef + 20g East Pacific biotop + 20g FW +...
ThRoewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/09/2017, 04:28 PM   #8
Denbf58
Registered Member

you have to love doing it. a lot of work if you are successful you can recoup your investment if you have the outlet to sell them. will it cover your time doubtful. right know I have three tanks with about 40 juvenile the the kitchen thank god my wife puts up with me

Current Tank Info: 75gal reef ready koralia 3, 30g sump, 4b 48" t5s lighting, 29g reef with breeding pair clowns 55g reef 55g freshwater
Denbf58 is offline   Reply With Quote