Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/18/2015, 03:41 PM   #1
gioNVA
Premium Member

Bali picasso x ORA picasso breeding

I am going to try raising a batch from this pair. They laid eggs today 12/18 at 4PM so I am going to use this thread to track progress. Here's a video of the mom and dad. Mom is a Bali Aq Picasso and dad is an ORA picasso.

For my breeding setup, it's just a standard 10g tank, air pump, and heater. I have 2 rotifer cultures going and have some Reed Rotigreen Omega. I also have a batch of Doni/Onyx picassos going in a growout tank. The growout system is just a 20g tank, 40g sump with some live rock, skimmer, andsome Seachem Matrix biomedia. I will be expanding that with another 20g tank but really don't have a lot of space in the house for a full blown breeding setup.

gioNVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2015, 01:03 AM   #2
gar732
Registered Member

Beautiful pair of clowns you have there. I had a pair of doni picassos breeding for some time but they stoped after I moved, which was expected, then I lost my female, which was not expected. Of my 3 breeding pairs the picassos were my favorite. It was always exciting to see the patterns develop on the baby clowns. Can't wait to see what you end up with, following along.

gar732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/21/2015, 10:57 AM   #3
gioNVA
Premium Member

Thanks @gar732! This is the second time they laid eggs so they are getting better. They ate most of the eggs again but there are still about 20 or so eggs remaining.

Unread 01/15/2016, 09:55 AM   #4
pilot.darren
Registered Member

stunning

pilot.darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/22/2016, 12:58 PM   #5
duyhuynh
Registered Member

Hard work and enjoyment are about to come. Good luck.

duyhuynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2016, 02:10 AM   #6
gar732
Registered Member

Any updates? Can't wait to see what the offspring look like.

Unread 02/18/2016, 01:49 PM   #7
mountainraised
Registered Member

Your re leaving me on the edge of my seat with these! Can't wait tool see what the fry mature to.

mountainraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2016, 01:53 PM   #8
gioNVA
Premium Member

Sorry but I haven't been able to get a big hatch raised. They kept eating the first 3 batches of eggs but was able to save 5 babies. The 5 are at around 18 days old now and they are amazing so far. They are supposed to lay eggs again tomorrow so I will hope to get that batch raised.

Unread 02/19/2016, 03:10 AM   #9
shifty51008
12-5 Chiefs record

If the parents are eating the eggs it is usually a sign they are not geting enough protein in their diet.

Clownfish breeder
shifty51008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2016, 01:45 PM   #10
gioNVA
Premium Member

I hope that is not the case. These guys eat better than I do. They get PE mysis, LRS fertility frenzy, rods food, PE calanus, cyclopeeze, flake and hikari pellets. I basically throw them food every time I'm in front of the tank and they gobble them up. More likely it is because they are young and are learning. The last 2 hatches have been good but I fell asleep on the last one and wasn't able to transfer the pot. Waiting on the next one.

Unread 03/08/2016, 10:55 AM   #11
gioNVA
Premium Member

A little bit of good news. I have a small hatch of about 30 babies that will be at 7 days old today. I'm expecting them to hit meta stage tonight. The mom/dad also laid a large nest of eggs 2 days ago. It's about triple the amount of their normal eggs so they are getting better.

Unread 03/09/2016, 07:18 PM   #12
gar732
Registered Member

Nice! sounds like they are getting the hang of things quickly. Was it a small clutch or did you not get a good hatch out?

Unread 03/13/2016, 10:11 AM   #13
solidcore
Registered Member

good luck!

solidcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2016, 11:08 PM   #14
gioNVA
Premium Member

Thanks! It was a little bit of both. it was a small clutch and had about 45 hatch that night. I pulled the pot and didnt wait for the rest to hatch since i wasnt sure if the rest was going to hatch or just foul the water. I havent had any losses with the ones that hatched which is great. They are 10 days old now.

Unread 03/14/2016, 08:54 AM   #15
gioNVA
Premium Member

So last night was also supposed to be hatch night. Eggs are at 9 days and only 25 or so hatched. This time, I am leaving the pot and hoping that the rest will hatch.

Unread 03/15/2016, 10:49 AM   #16
gioNVA
Premium Member

The rest hatched last night. Not really a huge clutch compared to my onyx but still at least 100 there.

Unread 03/31/2016, 11:04 AM   #17
michellejy
Registered Member

The parents are gorgeous. I am following to see how the offspring turn out.

Current Tank Info: 30G FOWLR Clownfish tank soon to be replaced by JBJ 28 Gallon Nano
michellejy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/04/2016, 02:59 PM   #18
gioNVA
Premium Member

Thank you! They are at day 19 and have some their first stripes on the head. These seem to be developing slower than my doni's reef pair. On the doni's pair, the helmet patterns show up as early as 13 days. I have anywhere 60-70 babies from this batch so I'm hoping they get really nice shape and coloration with no deformities.

Unread 04/08/2016, 08:37 AM   #19
ZoeyLove
Registered Member

Would love to see another video - a close-up, if possible, to see what the babies really look like. Very exciting!.

ZoeyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/11/2016, 03:15 PM   #20
gioNVA
Premium Member

Thank you. I will try to post something soon. The babies have tiny head stripes so far.

Unread 04/12/2016, 01:48 PM   #21
Westcoastindia
Registered Member

Hi,
How long does it take for different crossbred clowns to reach saleable size?
What would be optimum saleable size?
I have read that ocellaris they grow out to slow.
Could y'all shed more light on growth period of different clown species especially crossbreds.

Thanks.

Unread 04/20/2016, 07:29 PM   #22
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoastindia View Post
Hi,
How long does it take for different crossbred clowns to reach saleable size?
What would be optimum saleable size?
I have read that ocellaris they grow out to slow.
Could y'all shed more light on growth period of different clown species especially crossbreds.

Thanks.
Quick answers:

These are not cross-bred. The are both percula clowns.

Optimum saleable size depends on the type of clown. For example. Onyx clowns take a long time to color up, therefore their saleable size is larger.

Ocellaris grow fast compared to percula.

Growth period ranges dramatically bason ed different variables such as tank conditions and how much food they are fed. Some people like to feed a lot, and the babies get big quick, but if not careful many of the babies have defects due to poor water quality typically a result of the extra feeding. Flared gills is an example of these defects.

Unread 04/27/2016, 09:30 AM   #23
ZoeyLove
Registered Member

Can I mix types of clownfish?

I have two questions, actually.

I had a pair of ocellaris clownfish, and one recently died. Do I need to pair my clownfish with another ocellaris, or can I get a Darwin or a Wyoming White?

Second question... We were thinking of getting another tank, dedicated to just clownfish. Can we buy several different types and put them all together in one tank? If so, do I need to buy them in pairs - two ocellaris, two darwins, etc.?

Unread 04/27/2016, 09:30 AM   #24
ZoeyLove
Registered Member

I think I posted in the wrong place. Sorry.

Unread 04/27/2016, 05:05 PM   #25
Halo_003
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeyLove View Post
I have two questions, actually.

I had a pair of ocellaris clownfish, and one recently died. Do I need to pair my clownfish with another ocellaris, or can I get a Darwin or a Wyoming White?

Second question... We were thinking of getting another tank, dedicated to just clownfish. Can we buy several different types and put them all together in one tank? If so, do I need to buy them in pairs - two ocellaris, two darwins, etc.?
To answer...

1. If you want to breed I would stick to Occ., but you can certainly do different Occ. designer breeds such as a naked and a snowflake. Just look up the designer type you want and then see if it's an Occ. Personally I would stick to the same species regardless.

2. Look up the BRS Clown Harem tank, the thread on here called 27 clowns in 27 months by Mobert, and check out the book Clownfishes by Joyce Wilkerson. It is doable but basically you will want one batch of the same type of clowns added all at once, ie one batch of Occ. misbars. You should pretty much never have two pairs in the same tank. Some people have made it work but they are the 1%.

Halo_003 is offline   Reply With Quote