Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/04/2016, 02:54 AM   #1
Basizeland
Registered Member

Blue Magnifica Anemone rare?

Hey guys I have the opportunity to purchase a blue magnifica anemone. I have never seen one and wanted to know how common they are?

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Basizeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2016, 04:55 AM   #2
rc4kinu
Registered Member

Looks beautiful and healthy. You should get it without question!

rc4kinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2016, 05:37 AM   #3
Basizeland
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc4kinu View Post
Looks beautiful and healthy. You should get it without question!

Yeah it does look good waiting to find out a price the LFS hasn't received it yet these photos are from the collector. It's big over 60cm when fully open

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 10/04/2016, 06:00 AM   #4
OrionN
Moved on

I would kill for one. I wish I can get him

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2016, 06:32 AM   #5
jah hoeva
Registered Member

Very nice Mag. Looks pretty big.

jah hoeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2016, 07:48 AM   #6
Ron Popeil
Love them clownfish.

those tips will be purple in real life. not blue. but it will still be a gorgeous looking magnifica.

Current Tank Info: 150 DD
Ron Popeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2016, 09:32 AM   #7
D-Nak
Registered Member

Wow, very nice! I have to ask -- can the collector confirm that it is a magnifica? Colors looks exactly like a gigantea, but in the first photo the color of the underside appears magenta (though colors in photos are often not very accurate). Just want to make sure before you make the purchase.

Unread 10/04/2016, 01:55 PM   #8
taylor t
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nak View Post
Wow, very nice! I have to ask -- can the collector confirm that it is a magnifica? Colors looks exactly like a gigantea, but in the first photo the color of the underside appears magenta (though colors in photos are often not very accurate). Just want to make sure before you make the purchase.
Exactly what I thought when I saw it.

taylor t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2016, 01:57 PM   #9
D-Nak
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor t View Post
Exactly what I thought when I saw it.
Yup! That's the part I was looking at. I've also seen gigantea with blue feet, that look somewhat purple in some photos.

Unread 10/04/2016, 02:07 PM   #10
taylor t
Registered Member

Me too. I've also see them pucker the mouth like a mag too.

taylor t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2016, 05:20 PM   #11
Basizeland
Registered Member

Quote:
I did think it was a gigantea as well and won't be sure till it arrives at the LFS although the close up picture below with the tentacles I haven't seen any of my gigs with the tents that big and also the way one is folded over on it self. I see that on my current Magnifica but haven't seen it on a gig but you guys have more experience than me.

Unread 10/04/2016, 08:10 PM   #12
Ron Popeil
Love them clownfish.

definitely a magnifica.

i cant wait to see it out of that basket and into your aquarium!

Current Tank Info: 150 DD
Ron Popeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2016, 09:01 PM   #13
OrionN
Moved on

Gigantea have pastel color foot, not magenta like that. It is a Magnifica. Nice on. Magenta column and purple/blue tip. Make sure you got antibiotic and treatment tank ready for treatment if needed.

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
Unread 10/04/2016, 09:04 PM   #14
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

I would love to see this mag photographed well, hopefully you know how to use a camera when it comes in!

My 80g: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2677031
joshky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/04/2016, 11:00 PM   #15
CoralsAddiction
Registered Member

Quote:
I've also seen gigantea with blue feet, that look somewhat purple in some photos.
If it weren't for the color of the foot i would've thought it was a gig. I've seen many mags at wholesalers and fish stores. Happy or unhappy, they usually aren't shaped the same way as the anemone in question. The way it's spread out looks more like a gig. But magenta underside is a classic magnifica. If I had to vote it would be a mag but it wouldn't completely shock me if it ended up being a gig.
It might end up looking like this mag:

Last edited by CoralsAddiction; 10/04/2016 at 11:30 PM.
CoralsAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2016, 02:22 AM   #16
Basizeland
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralsAddiction View Post
If it weren't for the color of the foot i would've thought it was a gig. I've seen many mags at wholesalers and fish stores. Happy or unhappy, they usually aren't shaped the same way as the anemone in question. The way it's spread out looks more like a gig. But magenta underside is a classic magnifica. If I had to vote it would be a mag but it wouldn't completely shock me if it ended up being a gig.
It might end up looking like this mag:
Wow I hope it looks that good. I should find out the price tonight hopefully it's not too expensive although I am preparing myself, not sure what they are worth in the US but here in Australia we pay anywhere from $2,500 to $5,000 for a blue gig hopefully this is a bit cheaper than that.

Unread 10/05/2016, 12:23 PM   #17
zooman72
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basizeland View Post
...hopefully it's not too expensive although I am preparing myself, not sure what they are worth in the US but here in Australia we pay anywhere from $2,500 to $5,000 for a blue gig...
Holy **** !!!

Current Tank Info: Marine: Pair of 40B's, 45W, 50g cube, ADA 45F at home...IM Nuvo 20 and 10 at office!
zooman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/05/2016, 12:33 PM   #18
OrionN
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basizeland View Post
Wow I hope it looks that good. I should find out the price tonight hopefully it's not too expensive although I am preparing myself, not sure what they are worth in the US but here in Australia we pay anywhere from $2,500 to $5,000 for a blue gig hopefully this is a bit cheaper than that.

How much is that in term of US dollars?

Unread 10/05/2016, 12:35 PM   #19
OrionN
Moved on

This anemone, sold as a Magnifica, ended up finally ID as H. malu. He have magenta foot too but only about 5-6 inches.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ea3174592435b918976aeedea7014490.jpg (81.4 KB, 480 views)

Unread 10/05/2016, 12:41 PM   #20
joshky
Acros & Wrasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
How much is that in term of US dollars?
$1900-3800 USD I had to look it up, pretty crazy! We are very lucky in some aspects I guess.

My 80g: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2677031
joshky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/06/2016, 04:13 AM   #21
Basizeland
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshky View Post
$1900-3800 USD I had to look it up, pretty crazy! We are very lucky in some aspects I guess.
Yeah I'm envious of how cheap you get something's in the US.

Even a tan gigantea you are looking upwards of $400 USD although I scored this one for $200 USD.

Unread 10/06/2016, 04:55 AM   #22
OrionN
Moved on

Why does it cost so much. If the collectors pocket most of it then why are there not more anemones collected and sell thus bring the price down?
Why does anemones cost a lot but not fishes or corals?
Are there restriction on permits to catch anemones?

Unread 10/06/2016, 05:25 AM   #23
Basizeland
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrionN View Post
Why does it cost so much. If the collectors pocket most of it then why are there not more anemones collected and sell thus bring the price down?
Why does anemones cost a lot but not fishes or corals?
Are there restriction on permits to catch anemones?

I am not sure they don't appear very often and only select LFSs get them although the one good thing is they are always really healthy I haven't heard anyone treating gigs when they get them and the 3 that I have we're all super healthy when I got them.

I doubt the ones you get in the U.S. Are from Australia must be Indonesia etc

I wish they were cheaper here they are such a nice species definitely my favourite thing in my tanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unread 10/06/2016, 10:01 PM   #24
D-Nak
Registered Member

Well it's definitely not proximity -- most of the nems we get come from Vietnam, Indo, and the Philippines -- which are much closer to Australia than the U.S.

Does Australia have some sort of import tax and/or restrictions on importation to prevent invasive species (like Hawaii for us)?

Unread 12/06/2016, 01:20 PM   #25
OrionN
Moved on

I think Australia cannot import any corals (likely the same with Anemones). I am not sure about fish.