Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/31/2018, 04:14 PM   #1
Editour2
Frank

Does CO2 dissipate over time?

I have 2 CO2 tanks: a 20 lb and a 5 lb for my calcium reactor. I filled both of them up in March of 2017. My 20lb just ran out on Saturday so I hooked up the holdover 5 lb tank. The 5 lb ran out in 2 days.....this is perplexing since the 20 lb lasted 10 months. There are no leaks in both tanks and obviously not in the Ca regulator or lines since the 20 lb lasted 10 months.

Question is: Does the fact that the 5 lb tank was sitting in my fish room unused for 10 months effect the tank.....does CO2 dissipate over time? If so, then I don't see the reason for keeping a 2nd tank around.

Current Tank Info: 215 gal DT, 125 gal sump, 40 gal refugium w/ATS, 20 gal frag tank, reeflo orca skimmer, Knop HD calc reac w/2nd chamber, BRS dual reac, dart rtn pump, 2x tunze 6105's on seasweeps, 2x jebao PP20's, 30gal QT, LED/T5 Ltg, 1/2 hp aqualogic chiller.
Editour2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2018, 04:45 PM   #2
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Doubtful without some kind of leak. Have the guy look before you fill again to be sure.
When filled the tanks get very cold & the pressure usually increases when it gets room temp. I have to go on a Saturday morning for a fill, so I really have to watch or run out.

Unread 01/31/2018, 04:52 PM   #3
jurgenph
Registered Member

only if you have a leak.

J.

jurgenph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2018, 06:43 PM   #4
rtecanoe
Premium Member

A good way to check for leaks is to put a very small amount of dish soap in a spray bottle filled with water. Spray the neck of the tank and all around the regulator etc. It will make bubbles if there are leaks. Just dont spray your tank water! Old bar trick, you would be surprised how often there are leaks.

Current Tank Info: 180 gallon reef
rtecanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2018, 07:17 PM   #5
Editour2
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Doubtful without some kind of leak. Have the guy look before you fill again to be sure.
When filled the tanks get very cold & the pressure usually increases when it gets room temp. I have to go on a Saturday morning for a fill, so I really have to watch or run out.
Vin,
who do you use? I go to L.I. Soda on Evergreen in Patchogue....website says they are closed on Saturday but I recall going there on a Saturday morning. I think this same thing happened the last time I switched to the 5lb tank, (only with the 5lb)...thing is it's NOT the same tank. LI soda just swaps your empty tank for a new filled one. Since I thought I had a leak the last time I checked all the lines and also did the soap test....no leaks. After that the 20 lb lasted 10 months so I think that's about right. I just seem to have the problem with the 5lb.

Only thing it could be is that I repeatedly don't connect the 5lb correctly but I'm pretty careful. Based on the 20lb tank the 5 should have lasted at least 2 months so to leak out in 2 days I would have thought I would have heard something.....unless it was a very slow leak for 10 months....which I doubt.

Current Tank Info: 215 gal DT, 125 gal sump, 40 gal refugium w/ATS, 20 gal frag tank, reeflo orca skimmer, Knop HD calc reac w/2nd chamber, BRS dual reac, dart rtn pump, 2x tunze 6105's on seasweeps, 2x jebao PP20's, 30gal QT, LED/T5 Ltg, 1/2 hp aqualogic chiller.
Unread 01/31/2018, 08:36 PM   #6
WallysWorld
Registered Member

It's a leak. Do the soapy water test. It may take a few seconds before you see a bubble.

Current Tank Info: 120 gal 4x2x2 Reef, 4 x 160W Kessil's, Refuge, Korallin Calcium Reactor, ASM G3 Skimmer and Refuge.
WallysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2018, 08:41 AM   #7
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Frank,
I use LI Soda On Jamaica Ave just south of LIE on 83.
Annoying when a new tank was swapped but it's close & I get one right away.
Last time they filled the 1 I brought.

Unread 02/01/2018, 08:43 AM   #8
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Another thing Frank.
Unless you have a rubber & brass washer for the tank connection the seal should be changed every time the tank is changed.

Unread 02/01/2018, 11:53 AM   #9
Editour2
Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
Another thing Frank.
Unless you have a rubber & brass washer for the tank connection the seal should be changed every time the tank is changed.
I didn't change the seal......I have the normal double gauge CO2 regulator with a nylon washer on the inside.... If that's what you are referring to as the seal? I didn't know that had to be changed every time.

Unread 02/01/2018, 05:35 PM   #10
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Yes that's it, make sure they give you 1 each time.
I have the Brass & rubber 1 that comes with the Carbon Doser that can be used multiple times.

Unread 02/09/2018, 09:21 AM   #11
Editour2
Frank

So.....I went to Island Soda systems and swapped out my 20lb and 5lb tanks for filled tanks on Saturday 2/3/18. I got new washers as well. I go home....put the regulator back on with a new washer and of course the solenoid is getting stuck. I adjust the needle valve and everything seems fine until the ph controller activates the solenoid. Sometimes it doesn't shut the CO2 off (solenoid stuck open) and sometimes when the controller turns the CO2 back on..... the flow is severely restricted...which means I have to manually open the needle valve again. So....I read up and determine that the solenoid needs to be cleaned....I take the regulator off and attempt to remove the solenoid .....only problem is I can't unscrew the 4 small screws attaching it to the regulator. I tried wd40 to no avail. If I persist I will strip the heads of the screws. So I decide to use an old regulator that I had replaced with this newer Aquatek regulator. I was able to pull off the solenoid on the old regulator and clean that and it seemed to work, (I don't recall the issue which made me stop using that one). This older regulator has what I think is a relief valve because as soon as I hooked this regulator up and turned on the valve of the tank.... the CO2 was spewing out from the side of the regulator through small adjustable hole. When I opened this center valve (on the regulator) the leak stopped but I had to adjust THAT valve along with needle valve for proper bubble count. Anyway, after adjustments I got everything to work...and the solenoid did seem to open and close properly with the ph controller. I did have to make a few adjustments between the pressure valve and needle valve but then yesterday everything seemed to run smoothly. I had done a soapy water test on all parts when I initially set up this older co2 regulator, (but didn't test again after I adjusted the pressure valve later in the day along with needle valve for a proper bubble count). Today....no CO2 !!! pressure gauge also indicated zero. I couldn't believe it so I took off the regulator and the tank is empty...I don't understand how a 20 lb CO2 tank could be empty in 3 days without a significant leak that would be easy to detect. I am frustrated with both of these regulators as well, (the aquatek does not appear to have this relief valve in the center of the regulator, unless I'm missing something and I never adjusted anything on the aqautek regulator when it did work properly for the prior 10 months...I only adjusted the needle valve for proper bubble count).

Unread 02/09/2018, 12:52 PM   #12
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Outside of a new regulator you could try soaking the screws with Cokeacola overnight.
I don't have a spare to offer.
But I think a new unit is the way to go.

Unread 02/11/2018, 09:44 AM   #13
Editour2
Frank

I went over to L.I. Soda Systems in Patchogue and they tested my CO2 regulator...seems that 1 of the gauges was leaking (out of the gauge not out of the threads). Walter was kind enough to give me 1 of his regulators and hopefully I'm back in business.

Unread 02/11/2018, 12:09 PM   #14
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

OK -- so @ least you have an explanation.

Unread 02/12/2018, 08:26 AM   #15
Editour2
Frank

Of course I hook everything up and now my circulation pump for my calcium reactor shut down and is leaking (eheim 1250). When it rains it pours..........