Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/18/2018, 05:53 PM   #1
billaweed
Registered Member

Uv sterilizer yay or nay?

So this could very well be partly the fact that my tank is only a few months old and the fact i just added a sump, but i have a bacteria bloom clouding my tank. It's happened before when my tank was just through its cycle. I have plenty of surface agitation (2 700gph powerheads and my sump return) and filter floss in my sump, but its still cloudy. All my parameters are perfect. Would a uv sterilizer help?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

billaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 05:58 PM   #2
billaweed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billaweed View Post
So this could very well be partly the fact that my tank is only a few months old and the fact i just added a sump, but i have a bacteria bloom clouding my tank. It's happened before when my tank was just through its cycle. I have plenty of surface agitation (2 700gph powerheads and my sump return) and filter floss in my sump, but its still cloudy. All my parameters are perfect. Would a uv sterilizer help?

Heres a pic

Unread 02/18/2018, 06:13 PM   #3
Breadman03
New Old School

It might. The water in my 150 looked like that for 3 years until I added a UV. It was a continual haze that didn't seem to be there when my lights first turned on, but was clearly visible 15 minutes later.

Breadman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 06:35 PM   #4
Bent
I got nothin'

Are you dosing any carbon?

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 07:33 PM   #5
Dmorty217
Saltwater Addict

Yes it will help

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

Current Tank Info: 625g, 220g sump, RD3 230w, Vectra L1 on a closed loop, 3 MP60s, MP40. Several QTs
Dmorty217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 08:40 PM   #6
billaweed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent View Post
Are you dosing any carbon?
Yes. Running active carbon

Unread 02/18/2018, 08:48 PM   #7
2_zoa
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes. Running active carbon

Bent, was referring to a carbon source. Ie....dosing vinegar, sugar, vodka, either singular, or any combination of the three.

Dosing a carbon source drives bacteria. Which, could have been one of the reasons you have cloudy water.

2_zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 08:51 PM   #8
billaweed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_zoa View Post
Bent, was referring to a carbon source. Ie....dosing vinegar, sugar, vodka, either singular, or any combination of the three.

Dosing a carbon source drives bacteria. Which, could have been one of the reasons you have cloudy water.
Ohh.. i have never "dosed" anything. I usually dose myself with vodka tho..

Unread 02/18/2018, 09:06 PM   #9
billaweed
Registered Member

I was reading through some forum posts and seeing a 50/50 on whether or not UV Sterilizers are good for prolonged use. Based on the assumption that they kill all bacteria good and bad. So if i get one should i use it to clear up the bacteria bloom then turn it off or ?

Unread 02/18/2018, 09:09 PM   #10
FirstContact
Registered Member

I run ozone. I would think a UV sterilizer would result in the same thing - clear water. With ozone you recharge the silica beads every week or so depending on how many cartridges you have. With UV you usually replace the bulb once a year. An ozone generator can be turned up or down depending on the size of your system. A UV sterilizer has to purchased at the appropriate size and flow for your system.

Current Tank Info: 120g Reef 100g Rubbermaid Sump, 20g Refugium; previous tank: 46g Drilled; Self Plumbed, Birds Nest, Anchor, Xenia, Zoas, Yuma Yuma Ricordea, Chalice, Mushrooms, Brain, Acan, Anenome Plate; Clams, Other Inverts, Fish, Live Rock
FirstContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 09:23 PM   #11
2_zoa
Registered Member

Quote:
I was reading through some forum posts and seeing a 50/50 on whether or not UV Sterilizers are good for prolonged use. Based on the assumption that they kill all bacteria good and bad. So if i get one should i use it to clear up the bacteria bloom then turn it off or ?

If you get one, get a good one. Don’t go cheap. Unless it’s a good one for cheap.

I run one and I run the flow rate as such that I get a polished water look from it. So, flow rate really determines what they kill. The bacteria we want colonize surfaces and not so much in the water column. So a uv really wont kill the good bacteria in an established tank.

It really depends on what’s truly causing the cloudy water. Stirred up sand, after water changes, age.....what is your alk, cal, mag numbers out of curiosity.

Unread 02/18/2018, 09:34 PM   #12
MGP
Registered Member

Run one for a few days and clear up your tank, after that decide if you want to keep running it. I bet you will

MGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 09:34 PM   #13
billaweed
Registered Member

Quote:
If you get one, get a good one. Don’t go cheap. Unless it’s a good one for cheap.

I run one and I run the flow rate as such that I get a polished water look from it. So, flow rate really determines what they kill. The bacteria we want colonize surfaces and not so much in the water column. So a uv really wont kill the good bacteria in an established tank.

It really depends on what’s truly causing the cloudy water. Stirred up sand, after water changes, age.....what is your alk, cal, mag numbers out of curiosity.
Havent tested ka or mag, but calcium is 450'ish as of yesterday. In the morning my water is clear, but later in the day it geys cloudy. I also added a couple pieces of rock yesterday that that was cured but not live. And like i said i added a sump yesterday as well. This all started after adding my sump.

I did have a bacteria bloom a month ago that went away after a week, but kinda weird to have another one unless its just common for newr tanks..

Unread 02/18/2018, 09:35 PM   #14
billaweed
Registered Member

I meant to say alk and calcium.

Unread 02/18/2018, 09:36 PM   #15
billaweed
Registered Member

Quote:
I meant to say alk and calcium.

Lol... alk and mag!

Unread 02/18/2018, 09:38 PM   #16
billaweed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGP View Post
Run one for a few days and clear up your tank, after that decide if you want to keep running it. I bet you will
Ill order one.. any suggestions? I would like a solid inexpensive one.

Whats odd is that my buddy has the same setup and he has crystal clear water with no sump. Although his tank is 3 years old

Unread 02/18/2018, 09:39 PM   #17
JenkinsThePole
Registered Member

I just had a weird snowball effect of dead snails that left my tank like that for a few weeks. Have you noticed any increase in algae in the tank? If so they may be using up all of the nutrients you're testing before hence the good parameters. My other question for you is what all is in that sump? If you have any rubble or sand in it then maybe the particles are just getting kicked up. My problem still isn't 100% resolved but it got a lot better after I found all the dead snails and got them out. If the problem doesn't get better then I would try one but i'd give it a few more days. I lost about $40 in livestock (no corals thankfully) from what I assume was the oxygen getting stripped from the tank from bloom. Which for $60 I could've got a sterilizer and maybe saved that livestock. But from what i've read yay or nay on it seems to be pretty polarized. I'd at least rule out precipitation though. I read somewhere that getting a glass of tank water and letting it sit overnight should show you if its bacteria or something like really fine suspended sand. Good Luck.

JenkinsThePole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/18/2018, 09:40 PM   #18
2_zoa
Registered Member

So, it might be precipitation. Adding the sump would mean an addition of water. As I mentioned, water changes can cause cloudy water.

Unread 02/18/2018, 09:42 PM   #19
Bent
I got nothin'

Quote:

I’m running a cheapo 75 watt sunsun. It’s doing great. Had some issues getting intact quartz sleeves from the seller but eventually got a pair. So far so good but it’s only been a week.

110 bucks for 75 Watts is hard to pass up.

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Unread 02/18/2018, 09:44 PM   #20
2_zoa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenkinsThePole View Post
I just had a weird snowball effect of dead snails that left my tank like that for a few weeks. Have you noticed any increase in algae in the tank? If so they may be using up all of the nutrients you're testing before hence the good parameters. My other question for you is what all is in that sump? If you have any rubble or sand in it then maybe the particles are just getting kicked up. My problem still isn't 100% resolved but it got a lot better after I found all the dead snails and got them out. If the problem doesn't get better then I would try one but i'd give it a few more days. I lost about $40 in livestock (no corals thankfully) from what I assume was the oxygen getting stripped from the tank from bloom. Which for $60 I could've got a sterilizer and maybe saved that livestock. But from what i've read yay or nay on it seems to be pretty polarized. I'd at least rule out precipitation though. I read somewhere that getting a glass of tank water and letting it sit overnight should show you if its bacteria or something like really fine suspended sand. Good Luck.
Depends on what the water parameters are, that aren’t being measured. Even the brand of salt.

Unread 02/18/2018, 09:45 PM   #21
billaweed
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenkinsThePole View Post
I have a huge increase in coralline algae. Literally purple spots all over my glass and rock. But no bad algae. All parameters are good too. And nothing has died in my tank. I wonder if its just particulates from changing my zeolite and active carbon. Although that doesnt explain why the cloudiness gets worse during the day.

Fish and coral seem to be not affected

Unread 02/18/2018, 09:45 PM   #22
billaweed
Registered Member

I use IO for salt

Unread 02/18/2018, 09:48 PM   #23
Bent
I got nothin'

I’m not convinced that’s a bacterial bloom. Looks parcipitant to me...

Unread 02/18/2018, 09:51 PM   #24
2_zoa
Registered Member

Quote:
I have a huge increase in coralline algae. Literally purple spots all over my glass and rock. But no bad algae. All parameters are good too. And nothing has died in my tank. I wonder if its just particulates from changing my zeolite and active carbon. Although that doesnt explain why the cloudiness gets worse during the day.

Fish and coral seem to be not affected

Why do you have zeolite in your system? Did you rinse it well?

Unread 02/18/2018, 09:59 PM   #25
billaweed
Registered Member

Quote:
Why do you have zeolite in your system? Did you rinse it well?
I rinsed it as good as i could. I put it in as preventative measures for ammonia tho i don't really need it i guess. For whatever reason i thought it was a good idea and have been replacing it once a month since i started Rinsing it till its clean.