Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > North Central Pennsylvania Aquarium Reef Society (NCPARS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/25/2010, 10:44 AM   #26
PerezAF01
Registered Member

Good idea Rick although it sounds a bit challenging since there is an endless varierty of corals out there. Keeping a tally would definitely help members decide what to buy for the program.

If anyone participating has something they would like to submit. Please email me at perezaf01@yahoo.com
If members would like to implement the top three requests, you can also email me that information.
I would like to get this started before the end of the week if possible.

Thanks
Al

PerezAF01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2010, 11:22 AM   #27
rogersb
Registered Member

I don't have anything to request, but after emailing you I thought about something that might be nice - what if you posted the amount of people who are interested and their general interests. You could say that there are 10 people interested with 7 for mainly sps, 2 zoas, and 1 lps. I know that would help me decide if I wanted to do this. In my scenario it would be much more beneficial to those who want to trade sps as they would be possibly getting 6 pieces where as the zoa people would only be getting 1. I don't care if it's not posted here but on thh ncpars site, but it would be easier to make a commitment to something that coudl be relatively pricey if we knew there would be a decent return.

rogersb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2010, 12:22 PM   #28
Fizz71
FragSwapper

One thing that confuses me here is the whole "pay it forward" concept (DBTC) as I understand it means I really shouldn't have to buy anything. Somebody gives me something free and in return (if it grows) I give away atleast 3 frags of that colony to somebody else. Now at some point somebody has to start these chains and I would suspect that it would happen from somebody bringing something in from outside our group and eventually giving just 1 piece away to somebody to start that chain.

Do I have that right? If I'm wrong, please tell me.

If that's the case then I already have corals that were given to me free that I'm more than willing to pass on and start an official chain to anybody that I know buys in. Honestly there have been some of us doing this "underground" already which is why I have several nice "free" started colonies in my tank.

And Rick...the reason I suggest the google tool is I seriously doubt that ANYBODY on the BOD is going to want to take the responsibility of download/updating/uploading...it's just too much. I would think leaving a password protected spreadsheet that somebody on the BOD monitors would be easier but that's just the data-geek in me talking.

I also have a nice purple bonsai that in another 6 months or so might be ready to frag that I'd give 1 piece out to start a chain.

Fizz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2010, 01:49 PM   #29
tnyr5
Registered Member

Fizz, you're 99% right however as I understood it people from inside the clubs buy things to start the chains. As for what's desirable and what isn't, look at our frag swaps, if you find a bright coral that you never see listed on fragswapper chances are the club would benefit from having it.

Current Tank Info: 20in cube
tnyr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2010, 03:02 PM   #30
tnyr5
Registered Member

btw i'm growing out rastas & yellowjackets for this program :-)

Current Tank Info: 20in cube
tnyr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2010, 04:07 PM   #31
Sanjay
Premium Member

I think all this can be done without buying anything. I am with Fizz. its given to you free with the intent that you will be giving it away for free to others when it grows for you.

I'll be happy to throw a bunch of SPS in the DBTC pool to get this off the ground.

sanjay.

Sanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2010, 06:17 PM   #32
disturbed
Moved On

i just picked up about 50 corals for a store im building and i got a neon geen lokani im willing to put into the program.i was gonna take it for my personal reef but im excited about this pay it forward and i think it'll be real cool.

disturbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/25/2010, 08:42 PM   #33
PerezAF01
Registered Member

I agree. I think there is enough diversity in this club to atleast program started. Buying corals will eventually happen once everyone has what they want.

Fizz - Its funny you mentioned the fact that a bod member would not want to take the time to upload files because thats exactly what I intended to do. A sample spreadsheet can already be found at ncpars.org. I dont mind taking this responsibility. It may be alot of work at first but it should become a whole lot easier once its rolling.

For members that are participating, I am waiting for your submissions. I have only received one so far. I will post the first list this weekend on ncpars.org
Email me at perezaf01@yahoo.com

Al

Unread 10/25/2010, 10:47 PM   #34
jbeckett25
Jerry

I would like to chime in and say I am really happy to see so much interest in this. I think This can really take off. I also agree there should plenty of variety In this group that no one should have to buy anything. how ever we are a very spread out group is there any thought of how we will be getting the corals to each other?

Current Tank Info: 220 AGA reef system
jbeckett25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2010, 06:48 AM   #35
Fizz71
FragSwapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerezAF01 View Post
Fizz - Its funny you mentioned the fact that a bod member would not want to take the time to upload files because thats exactly what I intended to do. A sample spreadsheet can already be found at ncpars.org. I dont mind taking this responsibility. It may be alot of work at first but it should become a whole lot easier once its rolling.
I just want to make sure you understand that my comment was in NO WAY a dig at the BOD...as a former BOD member I know the pressures and the time it consumes. What I was getting at is that I personally think that if this takes off the constant downloading, updating and uploading and still being able to present it to the members and monitor who is doing their part and who isn't will be much more of an effort than one person should really be expected to handle. I'm glad you're willing to do this...very glad actually...I just hope you don't regret it in a few months! Picking the right tool is crucial.

I looked at your spread sheet and it's a good start, but just one question...does the person at the top have to give out 3 to start the chain? I have a bright yellow/green arco that is finally ready to frag but I don't think I could get 3 from it yet since it's actually in my DT, not a grow-out tank. I'd be willing to give one away at the swap, but I don't think I'll have 3.

Unread 10/26/2010, 06:49 AM   #36
rickyfins
Registered Member

Jerry... Fedex Ground service is just like overnight service in PA. If you ship in PA, it gets where it needs to go by the next day. The only catch I think is holidays as the volume increases I am sure there is less likelyhood of that happening.

Even though we are spread out... Don't we all drive hours to get to LFS for stuff we want in some cases? I think we can all figure out how to get corals to each other.

Good start to a great idea!

Rick

Absorbing information through OSMOSIS

Yea, I can grow that. Have some water? It's just SCIENCE!!

Offical NCPARS "Nazi Thread Ender"

Current Tank Info: None at the moment.
rickyfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2010, 07:13 AM   #37
PerezAF01
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz71 View Post
I just want to make sure you understand that my comment was in NO WAY a dig at the BOD...as a former BOD member I know the pressures and the time it consumes. What I was getting at is that I personally think that if this takes off the constant downloading, updating and uploading and still being able to present it to the members and monitor who is doing their part and who isn't will be much more of an effort than one person should really be expected to handle. I'm glad you're willing to do this...very glad actually...I just hope you don't regret it in a few months! Picking the right tool is crucial.

I looked at your spread sheet and it's a good start, but just one question...does the person at the top have to give out 3 to start the chain? I have a bright yellow/green arco that is finally ready to frag but I don't think I could get 3 from it yet since it's actually in my DT, not a grow-out tank. I'd be willing to give one away at the swap, but I don't think I'll have 3.

I agree that Senior BOD members have enough on their plates already but I think I can atleast get this program started. I am sure there will be times when I will have other things that take priority but once its rolling it will be a whole easier for another member to take over and run the show for a while. There is room for improvements and they will be made as we go. We can talk alot more about using google as a tool through PM or in person since you seem to have more experience in that.
About the three frag rule, I would like to keep that rule. I don't expect this to be an overnight thing. You can give two away and have the third person on your waiting list or wait until you can get three and give them away then. You can list them even though its not ready to cut. The goal of this program is to grow and share with the club. I expect to see people on a 3+ month waiting list for a rare coral.

Al

Unread 10/26/2010, 07:30 AM   #38
rogersb
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnyr5 View Post
btw i'm growing out rastas & yellowjackets for this program :-)
Cool. If no one has them I can probably do red hornets, and magicians.

rogersb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/26/2010, 10:35 AM   #39
PerezAF01
Registered Member

Sounds good

Unread 10/26/2010, 12:34 PM   #40
Fizz71
FragSwapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerezAF01 View Post
I agree that Senior BOD members have enough on their plates already but I think I can atleast get this program started. I am sure there will be times when I will have other things that take priority but once its rolling it will be a whole easier for another member to take over and run the show for a while. There is room for improvements and they will be made as we go. We can talk alot more about using google as a tool through PM or in person since you seem to have more experience in that.
About the three frag rule, I would like to keep that rule. I don't expect this to be an overnight thing. You can give two away and have the third person on your waiting list or wait until you can get three and give them away then. You can list them even though its not ready to cut. The goal of this program is to grow and share with the club. I expect to see people on a 3+ month waiting list for a rare coral.

Al
I mean on the FIRST coral...the seeder. If I want to START a chain, is one enough?

Unread 10/26/2010, 01:49 PM   #41
PerezAF01
Registered Member

Yea you can give one away and then have the other two on a waitlist assuming people sign up for it.

Unread 10/27/2010, 08:57 PM   #42
PerezAF01
Registered Member

Just wanted to let everyone know that I posted a list of what I have so far. If you wish to add on to the list, please email me at perezaf01@yahoo.com with details. If you wish to request an item, contact the grower and request the item then forward the information to me so that I can make the change on the spreadsheet.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...uthkey=CJDj410

Al

Unread 10/27/2010, 09:26 PM   #43
jwalker314
Registered Member

I just set my frag up tonight, i don't have too much fancy stuff, some zoas and other softies that people might be interested in, not sure of the names. Would these corals be sufficient as long as someone is interested in them? or should i wait until i have some rarer items ready to go?

jwalker314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2010, 09:37 PM   #44
PerezAF01
Registered Member

You can offer up anything you want but people may or may not request them. If you dont get any requests you can remove the item later on.

Unread 10/27/2010, 09:43 PM   #45
jwalker314
Registered Member

in that case add some pulsing xenia and kenya trees to my list along with what i emailed you =) and if you need me to try and get an ID on the photos i sent you i can.

jwalker314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2010, 09:49 PM   #46
PerezAF01
Registered Member

Okay. Thanks

Unread 10/29/2010, 08:05 PM   #47
PerezAF01
Registered Member

Okay everyone. Lets get this started. I got a couple of emails but not nearly enough as I anticipated. Where did all the excitement and motivation go?

Here is the active list.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...uthkey=CJDj410

You can add anything you want anytime. Just email me with the details at perezaf01@yahoo.com. Email me if you have any questions.

Al

Last edited by PerezAF01; 10/29/2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Wrong link
Unread 11/01/2010, 01:34 PM   #48
jbeckett25
Jerry

What happend here ??? Everyone sounded so in to this and then it just died ? come on guys lets make this work. We need more people ! I don't have much I can offer right now but I have offered now lets see what you can come up with...

Current Tank Info: 220 AGA reef system
jbeckett25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/02/2010, 07:21 AM   #49
PerezAF01
Registered Member

Its weird huh?

Unread 11/02/2010, 07:43 AM   #50
Fizz71
FragSwapper

I took a picture the SPS I'm offering up last night. When I get it uploaded I'll post it. I don't think it has an official name its just a yellow/green SPS but it's a fast grower and very bright under my radiums (without extra actinics).