Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/27/2018, 03:41 PM   #76
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gig 'em View Post
I have a set up in my fish room with layers of QT and treatment tanks. New mags come in and start in the bottom tanks where the light is the lowest. I move them up as time goes on to acclimate them to higher light conditions. I use a mix of water from a 50 gallon reservoir that has been mixed for a couple of days and water from my DT tank. I like water from the DT because I think adding back some mature cycled water is helpful. This is just a theory and I haven't tested it yet vs. brand new water. I do water changes every day, 250 mg cipro unless the anemone is showing high signs of distress, then 500 mg, but typically that doesn't seem to make a difference. Seems like when cipro isn't helping, no higher concentration of cipro will. Just my own opinion from personal experience. I keep the whole fish room around 80 deg and the tanks with good oxygenation and water flow. Lights are Ocean Revive LEDs.

Thanks so much for the response. As far as lighting do you think it makes a big deal at this stage in the game (as far as type/intensity)? I've seen/read about people just using like a regular house CFL. I'm either going to purchase an extra LED setup just for this or I can DIY a setup with some VHOs or PCs that I have laying around. I think using an old MH setup would prob be overkill at this point. Also, even though I've never Done this process I would feel better using 50% DT/cycled water with 50% 24 hour old new water as well.

I find it interesting that increasing the Cipro hasn't had an impact from your experience. Have you ever tried mixing 2 AB's with the Cipro such as Ceph, azithro, Amoxy, Metro(be interested in this one as it great H.pylori and ulcer causing bacteria), or maybe even Doxy?

Lastly how many days min and then max do you do this treatment for?

Thanks a ton for your time. I want to make sure I'm 100% ready for this beauty when it arrives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BClute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2018, 01:41 AM   #77
ChizerBunoi
Registered Member

HI Gig 'em. Best of luck with these two new mags. I hope they pull through for you.

ChizerBunoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2018, 09:23 AM   #78
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BClute View Post
Thanks so much for the response. As far as lighting do you think it makes a big deal at this stage in the game (as far as type/intensity)? I've seen/read about people just using like a regular house CFL. I'm either going to purchase an extra LED setup just for this or I can DIY a setup with some VHOs or PCs that I have laying around. I think using an old MH setup would prob be overkill at this point. Also, even though I've never Done this process I would feel better using 50% DT/cycled water with 50% 24 hour old new water as well.

I find it interesting that increasing the Cipro hasn't had an impact from your experience. Have you ever tried mixing 2 AB's with the Cipro such as Ceph, azithro, Amoxy, Metro(be interested in this one as it great H.pylori and ulcer causing bacteria), or maybe even Doxy?

Lastly how many days min and then max do you do this treatment for?

Thanks a ton for your time. I want to make sure I'm 100% ready for this beauty when it arrives.

I definitely think lighting plays a big role in the acclimation process. Too much light and you'll stress the anemone, too little and the anemone will wither away. It's just personal judgement on how the anemone looks when it comes in and it's response to light intensity.

I have tried different antibiotics like amoxy and metro with little success (though usually it's my secondary attempt when an anemone isn't responding to cipro, so it's already in poor shape). The use of other antibiotics and the failed results make me believe sometime anemones succumb to viral infections or some sort of biological degradation due to environmental factors. Cipro isn't always the key to success unfortunately

I never treat for less than 7 days, I rarely surpass 7 either since either the anemone is healthy enough for the QT by then or is just going to be a goner.

Gig 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2018, 10:30 AM   #79
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
I definitely think lighting plays a big role in the acclimation process. Too much light and you'll stress the anemone, too little and the anemone will wither away. It's just personal judgement on how the anemone looks when it comes in and it's response to light intensity.

I have tried different antibiotics like amoxy and metro with little success (though usually it's my secondary attempt when an anemone isn't responding to cipro, so it's already in poor shape). The use of other antibiotics and the failed results make me believe sometime anemones succumb to viral infections or some sort of biological degradation due to environmental factors. Cipro isn't always the key to success unfortunately

I never treat for less than 7 days, I rarely surpass 7 either since either the anemone is healthy enough for the QT by then or is just going to be a goner.

Very interesting... sounds like you need to get your hands on some anti viral medication. From what I've seen/read it usually seems that the nem responds pretty quickly if the Cipro is going to work. If it doesn't have a positive response to the AB within 36/48 hours maybe you could try dosing an Anti-Viral such as one for the flu, or maybe even one such as a Valtrex. Another med that's OTC that you could try if you're backed In the corner and think the infection might be viral in nature is lysine (amino acid). Lysine has been tested quite a bit and has been shown to have anti-viral properties and Has a VERY high LD.
Thanks again!

Unread 01/28/2018, 10:55 AM   #80
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Quote:
Very interesting... sounds like you need to get your hands on some anti viral medication. From what I've seen/read it usually seems that the nem responds pretty quickly if the Cipro is going to work. If it doesn't have a positive response to the AB within 36/48 hours maybe you could try dosing an Anti-Viral such as one for the flu, or maybe even one such as a Valtrex. Another med that's OTC that you could try if you're backed In the corner and think the infection might be viral in nature is lysine (amino acid). Lysine has been tested quite a bit and has been shown to have anti-viral properties and Has a VERY high LD.
Thanks again!

Fascinating. Do you have any links to studies that showed lysine was effective against viral infections?

Unread 01/28/2018, 10:56 AM   #81
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
Fascinating. Do you have any links to studies that showed lysine was effective against viral infections?

I read one a little while ago, let me see if I can find it.

Unread 02/16/2018, 08:36 AM   #82
THEUNION1
Registered Member

Quote:
I read one a little while ago, let me see if I can find it.

Down the rabbit hole... I’ve had that happen. Any news on that article?

THEUNION1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 01:41 AM   #83
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEUNION1 View Post
Down the rabbit hole... I’ve had that happen. Any news on that article?

Ah I totally forgot about this.. all the articles I have found are impacts of lysine on HSV-1 which at the end of the day is still a virus:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/3115841/

Here's an excerpt from the abstract:

"
symptoms were significantly (p less than 0.05) diminished in severity and healing time was significantly reduced (p less than 0.05). L-Lysine appears to be an effective agent for reduction of occurrence, severity and healing time for recurrent HSV infection"

Also, to be honest while I have never had HSV-1, a couple times I thought I might be getting a sore I started taking lysine and what I thought might be the start of a sore completely went away.. it's highly doubtful that the lysine totally interrupted the viruses and I was prob being a hypochondriac, but who knows.

Unread 02/21/2018, 07:09 AM   #84
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Quote:
Ah I totally forgot about this.. all the articles I have found are impacts of lysine on HSV-1 which at the end of the day is still a virus:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/3115841/

Here's an excerpt from the abstract:

"
symptoms were significantly (p less than 0.05) diminished in severity and healing time was significantly reduced (p less than 0.05). L-Lysine appears to be an effective agent for reduction of occurrence, severity and healing time for recurrent HSV infection"

Also, to be honest while I have never had HSV-1, a couple times I thought I might be getting a sore I started taking lysine and what I thought might be the start of a sore completely went away.. it's highly doubtful that the lysine totally interrupted the viruses and I was prob being a hypochondriac, but who knows.

Hey worth looking into and testing for sure! Antibiotics can only go so far and has had no impact for me on several occasions.

Unread 02/21/2018, 07:14 AM   #85
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey worth looking into and testing for sure! Antibiotics can only go so far and has had no impact for me on several occasions.

Also considering fish is said to have naturally occurring l-lysine levels I doubt high concentrations would have a negative impact on the nem. Also, taking into consideration it's an amino acid, but too much of anything can be negative. Dosing high levels of lysine I would hypothesize would either help the nem if infection is viral in nature or not do anything .

Unread 02/21/2018, 07:39 AM   #86
OrionN
Moved on

Virus are tricky little things. We human have minimal success with antivirals. Tamiflu is one. Most of the other antiviral meds worth a lot more than their weight in gold so the chance of finding them in fish tanks is zilcho.

My homepage is my album here at Reef Central

Current Tank Info: Reboot 320 anemones reef. Angels: Yellow Chest Regal(2), Flame (2). Copperband But. Tangs: Yellow, Purple. Wrasse: about 20 wrasses various species. Anemones: Giantea X4 (Breen, Blue, Purple and Multicolors), Haddoni X1 Red, Magnifica X1 Purpletip
OrionN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 08:23 AM   #87
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Quote:
Also considering fish is said to have naturally occurring l-lysine levels I doubt high concentrations would have a negative impact on the nem. Also, taking into consideration it's an amino acid, but too much of anything can be negative. Dosing high levels of lysine I would hypothesize would either help the nem if infection is viral in nature or not do anything .

Yeah I've tried this method too, adding a clownfish to my magnifica QT tank. As you said, the level of lysine present on the clownfish may not be enough to make an impact. Maybe adding more than one clown would help, it's worth a trial for sure.

Unread 02/21/2018, 08:25 AM   #88
BClute
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah I've tried this method too, adding a clownfish to my magnifica QT tank. As you said, the level of lysine present on the clownfish may not be enough to make an impact. Maybe adding more than one clown would help, it's worth a trial for sure.

No what I meant is the levels of lysine found in the fish. Meaning like when a nem ingests a fish it is ingesting higher concentrations of lysine from the meat.

Unread 02/21/2018, 12:10 PM   #89
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Quote:
No what I meant is the levels of lysine found in the fish. Meaning like when a nem ingests a fish it is ingesting higher concentrations of lysine from the meat.

Gotcha, well that may be difficult since when mags are weakened and sickly it's hard to get them to eat.

Unread 02/21/2018, 12:27 PM   #90
BClute
Registered Member

Multiple magnificas

Quote:
Gotcha, well that may be difficult since when mags are weakened and sickly it's hard to get them to eat.

I just meant that since lysine is naturally occurring and nems eat fish who naturally have high levels of lysine it shouldn't be detrimental to the health of the nem if one doses lysine in their hospital tank in high levels since it's a naturally occurring amino acid that they're exposed to. I don't know the genome of nems and if they utilize lysine in protein synth, but we at least know that it shouldn't be poisonous as they are exposed to it naturally. Sorry for any confusion.

Someone send me a Mag and I'll test it out haha.

Unread 03/05/2018, 09:36 PM   #91
Mirror Pond
Premium Member

Any updates on the two newest mags?

Mirror Pond is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/06/2018, 09:14 AM   #92
Gig 'em
Registered Member

Unfortunately they became unresponsive to cipro treatments. I'm pretty sure there is a virus or pathogen that is not affected by cipro so I'm shutting down the system and sterilizing it. I'll restart it in the future when I have a little more free time in town