Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/27/2018, 05:04 PM   #101
gcarroll
Registered Member

Well guys sorry for the delay but I am experiencing technical difficulties. They have crated up my sump and it is being loaded in the container, I expect the sump in approximately 3 weeks. In the meantime, I am getting really anxious, so I decided to set up a 25g nano.

25g Vitrea tank, Radion XR30 pro.

Sump, Sicce 1.5 return pump, Tunze nano osmolator

I love the stand with the glass doors and frosted glass accents.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/27/2018, 05:08 PM   #102
Rakie
In Memoriam

That's one hell of a stand, and quite a nice looking tank I must say. The frosted glass is pretty clean, but the curved glass really stands out too.

If it were 20 gallons larger you could get a Huma Huma for old times sake.

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/01/2018, 11:45 PM   #103
gcarroll
Registered Member

I finished the plumbing and added the Radion diffuser. I’m hoping to have water in the nano this weekend. I was really shocked at how much more spread you get with the diffuser. I would have never noticed had it not been comparing these two photos.

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
Unread 02/02/2018, 08:11 AM   #104
shred5
Registered Member

Looks like the small tank does not need the diffuser? Looks like allot of wasted light on the walls..

Unread 02/02/2018, 10:22 AM   #105
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shred5 View Post
Looks like the small tank does not need the diffuser? Looks like allot of wasted light on the walls..
True but I like the results as it applies to my big tank. Better coverage, means less shadowing. I don’t anticipate the need to turn the light up much as it is way more light than I will ever need.

Unread 02/02/2018, 12:33 PM   #106
reefwiser
Registered Member

Looks good Greg like the spread.

September 23rd,2017 11 am till 3pm
Saint Thomas Fellowship hall,9616 Westport Road,Louisvi
reefwiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2018, 04:48 PM   #107
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
All tanks need the diffuser. The diffuser does so much for the radion it's not even an option not to use it, IMO. I've even had the Radions 14" above the waterline. Still doesn't solve disco ball, shadowing, spectrum balancing, coral coloring (due to spectrum balance) etc etc etc etc.

The diffuser does so much for the light system I think it's being grossly undervalued, and somehow people aren't noticing it.

Honestly, every radion version from here on out SHOULD come with a diffuser standard. They're that important. And if you own ANY radion, G1, G2, whatever... You're a fool to not pick up a diffuser.

If the G4 was replaced with a G5 radion that did exactly what the diffuser does, people would lose their S*** over how great it is. Just because it's a thin piece of plastic doesn't mean it's not a significant upgrade for any radion -- It basically takes the G4 and makes it a G5.

As a someone who isn't a big ecotech fan, i can tell you two things.
1) The Radion is amazing and
2) The thin piece of plastic diffuser is a game changer, equal to the next gen in radion all by itself.

Unread 02/03/2018, 05:10 PM   #108
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
All tanks need the diffuser. The diffuser does so much for the radion it's not even an option not to use it, IMO. I've even had the Radions 14" above the waterline. Still doesn't solve disco ball, shadowing, spectrum balancing, coral coloring (due to spectrum balance) etc etc etc etc.

The diffuser does so much for the light system I think it's being grossly undervalued, and somehow people aren't noticing it.

Honestly, every radion version from here on out SHOULD come with a diffuser standard. They're that important. And if you own ANY radion, G1, G2, whatever... You're a fool to not pick up a diffuser.

If the G4 was replaced with a G5 radion that did exactly what the diffuser does, people would lose their S*** over how great it is. Just because it's a thin piece of plastic doesn't mean it's not a significant upgrade for any radion -- It basically takes the G4 and makes it a G5.

2) The thin piece of plastic diffuser is a game changer, equal to the next gen in radion all by itself.
Agreed Rakie! 100%. It effectively is the G5!

Unread 02/03/2018, 08:45 PM   #109
ReefCowboy
Registered Member

What up Greg!
Nice nano! Looking forward to seeing the updates!

Unread 02/11/2018, 01:57 PM   #110
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefCowboy View Post
What up Greg!
Nice nano! Looking forward to seeing the updates!
Thanks Carlos!

Unread 02/11/2018, 02:20 PM   #111
gcarroll
Registered Member

Little update: The nano is filled! Added Dr Tim’s one and only so the cycle can begin. Bringing temp up to 83 so the bacteria can increase its metabolism.

Unread 02/11/2018, 03:12 PM   #112
Germanwerks
Registered Member

What are your plans for the nano?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: 300 gal , 180gal sump
Germanwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 03:50 PM   #113
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post

It has to reduce par... For most it may not matter because they do not run 100 percent anyway. Still do not know why some company has not tried using led indirect. In the commercial industry that is how they get around leds being so much point source. I know I have been specing more led fixtures since they have been going indirect.

A reflector would most likely give better control and less light loss instead of using a lens and scramble the light. Anyway do not want to hijack Gregs thread.

Last edited by shred5; 02/11/2018 at 05:14 PM.
shred5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 05:11 PM   #114
gcarroll
Registered Member

gcarroll' 260g SPS reef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanwerks View Post
What are your plans for the nano?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Planning softies. Ricordia, mushrooms, rock nems, zoa. But you know me, I wouldn’t bet on how long before first SPS.

Unread 02/11/2018, 06:14 PM   #115
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
It has to reduce par... For most it may not matter because they do not run 100 percent anyway. Still do not know why some company has not tried using led indirect. In the commercial industry that is how they get around leds being so much point source. I know I have been specing more led fixtures since they have been going indirect.

A reflector would most likely give better control and less light loss instead of using a lens and scramble the light. Anyway do not want to hijack Gregs thread.
Of course it reduces PAR -- My mistake if I typo'd and made it sound like it doesn't.

The question is -- Whose running their G4 radions 8-10" off the water (where the diffuser is designed to be) at 100%? G3's are no joke.. But as far as power goes, they aren't even in the same league. I've not seen anybody run G4 Radions over 65% without starting to kill everything.

For G3 -- Yep, you will lose SOME par, for sure. But par in and of itself isn't the end all be all anyways. Most people running G3's also don't get much higher than 80%, they additionally run these G3's MUCH higher off the water surface (12-16"+). So the par from lowering the lighting fixture alone is increased significantly, even with the loss from the diffuser.

BRS had a video about light height and par loss with the xr30 G4 -- I believe 2" made a difference of just over 10% par.

So with that in mind, I ran my XR30 G4 14" over the water at 55% (where corals started bleaching), I put on the diffuser, losing 20% par, then lowered the fixture 5", potentially gaining 40-50% par, with the diffuser around 20-30% par -- My light had to be turned down to 50%, it's putting out 72w of power with WWC's color program (modified AB+)

I do agree that reflectors have a place with LED's. Inside of the diffuser it has non-metal reflectors. White is highly reflective, matte/flat white especially, which is why all movie theater screens are a matte white. Inside the lense are matte white reflectors. I forget the number, but pretending that a silver reflector is 100% reflective (it's not) a matte white is somewhere around 95%+, which is pretty good. So inside the diffuser IS a reflector, and then a diffuser.

My second favorite motto in reefing; "It's always more complicated -- Always"

Last edited by Rakie; 02/11/2018 at 06:32 PM.
Unread 02/12/2018, 11:09 AM   #116
BeanMachine
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarroll View Post
Little update: The nano is filled! Added Dr Tim’s one and only so the cycle can begin. Bringing temp up to 83 so the bacteria can increase its metabolism.

Excellent!

Unread 02/12/2018, 12:53 PM   #117
dodgerblew
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarroll View Post
Planning softies. Ricordia, mushrooms, rock nems, zoa. But you know me, I wouldn’t bet on how long before first SPS.
I have Zoas for you

Obladi Oblada, life goes on Brah!

Current Tank Info: Tankless in TX and watching from the sidelines
dodgerblew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 01:11 PM   #118
wishntoboutside
professional snow flake

showing a nano tank in a large tank thread should be a rule breaker and subject to banning the user... that is all I will say at this point.

Current Tank Info: 450 gallon peninsula tank 72*48*30 filled with a bunch of frags and trying to grow them out.
wishntoboutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/13/2018, 11:06 PM   #119
lionfish300
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishntoboutside View Post
showing a nano tank in a large tank thread should be a rule breaker and subject to banning the user... that is all I will say at this point.
True lol

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 07:22 AM   #120
AiKkz
Registered Member

Looking great so far, will be following along to see this up and running.

AiKkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/14/2018, 12:51 PM   #121
gcarroll
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishntoboutside View Post
LOL, it’s not my fault. At this point, I just needed to fill a box with water in the meantime.

Unread 02/14/2018, 03:51 PM   #122
gcarroll
Registered Member

Went home at lunch today. Gotta love Dr Tim’s One and Only! Tank is completely cycled.

I even got some denitrification going on in the sand.