Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/02/2010, 03:43 PM   #1
Aquattro
Registered Member

Slow (no?) growth and chemistry

My 90g SPS tank has been running 2 years, with little to no growth in the corals. I've added frags that have not grown more than a few millimeters, although they will encrust on the rock in a 3 or 4 inch diameter. Colors are all good, and my pesky pocci colony is sprouting buds all over the tank. Compared to my last tank that ran for years with huge growth rates, this one is getting a bit annoying.
When I started, I added about 65 pounds fiji rock and a 2 inch sand bed. The sand bed solidified within a couple of months. I removed it.
I also notice increased precipitation on impellers and pumps (on the casing) and need to clean everything every three months. My Tunze streams need soaking over night in almost pure vinegar.
I just cleaned my sump and noticed my mesh bag of carbon has solidified, it's been in there 2 months. All equipment is coated.

Tank has run a phosban reactor, media solidified. Now run a Zeo reactor, the inside shaft was completely coated in carbonates.
I have used kalk, switched out to my Ca reactor, no difference.

Water looks fine;
pH - 8.0
NO3 - 0
PO4 - 0.04
Ca - 450 (bit higher than I like)
Alk - 4.0 (also a bit higher than I like)
Mg - 1350

I was using RB salt, switched last WC back to IO. Tank started with IO for 1 yr, then to RB, now back. No difference with either.

I'm really not sure where to go from here, other than suspect rock and swap it out. Any suggestions or links to related threads would be great.

Aquattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2010, 03:50 PM   #2
Allmost
Moved On

I see the word Zeo reactor in there and phos remover !

are u sure you are running a zeo system ?

the precipitation is due to the CA and KH addition, what method do u use to dose ?

do you dose MG ?

you are seeing a high po4 cause Zeovit is not able to do its job with phos reactors in place.

are u sure you have good coloration ?! sounds kinda impossible with that high of po4

lastly, do you have any fish in there ? but if you are running Zeovit, u should already be adding enouhg coral food such as CV, SP, AA, and ...

follow the Zeovit recommendations.

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2010, 04:03 PM   #3
Aquattro
Registered Member

I used the phosban before going to Zeo. I switched to a full Zeo reactor and (mostly) follow the instructions. I am not running both at the same time

I don't dose Mg ( I never did in 8 years of my previous tank), but with a reading of 1350, I don't think I need to (?)
Yes, the colors are the best I've ever had. I added a small piece 6 weeks ago, and it's still a vibrant neon blue. My PBS is brighter than most others I've seen. My pink table has always been pink. They just won't grow!

I have a selago frag that I added 18 months ago, it hasn't grown at all, but has encrusted on its rock in a 4" dia area. Its color isn't what it should be, but no branch growth at all.

I didn't think PO4 was too high, and if it is, it should inhibit the calcification a bit, not increase it.
Yes, I have a few fish to contribute to coral food.

Unread 07/02/2010, 04:07 PM   #4
Allmost
Moved On

well if your MG was always 1350 then the sand bed wont clump and you wont see percipitation ....

hence the reason for asking what u dose with ...

I used to dose 2 part, (no not for 8 years) and had those ISsues, now I do ca, and KH and mg seperate and no precipitation ..

good luck.....

PS. "I didn't think PO4 was too high, and if it is, it should inhibit the calcification a bit, not increase it."
so you are still seeing percipitate form ? check the way you are dosing ...

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2010, 04:09 PM   #5
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

How old is your alk kit and which alk kit do you use?

Intestests: Digital Microscopy; Marine Pest Control; Marine Plants & Macroalgae

Current Tank Info: 180 g. mixed reef system
HighlandReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2010, 04:15 PM   #6
Aquattro
Registered Member

I just went to the LFS and used new salifert kits to test against mine, same results. PO4 measured with a Hanna meter.

I don't dose anything other than with my Ca reactor. I used to use a kalk drip, no change either way.

Essentially I'm doing what I did for years with my old tank, same equipment. Only difference is new rock, a new RO unit different plumbing (flex PVC to basement sump). I used to have to frag every 2 months to prune the old tank, this tank has had almost zero growth in 2 yrs. Some pieces have a bit (caps, a couple of millis, a bit of growth on clams), but mostly nothing but encrusting on the rocks.

Unread 07/02/2010, 04:17 PM   #7
chuckreef
Registered Member

Too much flow directly across the tops of the corals - casuing them to grow out not up?

chuckreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2010, 04:22 PM   #8
HighlandReefer
Team RC Member

All the calcium carbonate precipitation you are having is most likely due to your alk level, being up close to 12 dKH and/or to much kalk water going into your system at one time resulting in a pH spike. I would shut down your reactor for a day or two and let your alk drop down to around 8 - 9 dKH and see if your precipitation still occurs. Make sure you reactor is dripping the kalk water. You may need to adjust your reactor so that it maintains the 8 dKH and does not climb back up again.

In low nutrient systems, higher alk levels can possibly be a problem for coral, at least many hobbyists believe this is the case.

IME, once my alk level reached 12 dKH, I had to shovel alk supplements in to maintain that level and this resulted in calcium carbonate precipitation like yours.

Intestests: Digital Microscopy; Marine Pest Control; Marine Plants & Macroalgae

Current Tank Info: 180 g. mixed reef system

Last edited by HighlandReefer; 07/02/2010 at 04:32 PM.
HighlandReefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2010, 04:45 PM   #9
Aquattro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckreef View Post
Too much flow directly across the tops of the corals - casuing them to grow out not up?

I would think that would be localized to high flow areas, which it's not. But I have backed off the flow just in case

Unread 07/02/2010, 04:46 PM   #10
Aquattro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandReefer View Post
All the calcium carbonate precipitation you are having is most likely due to your alk level, being up close to 12 dKH and/or to much kalk water going into your system at one time resulting in a pH spike. I would shut down your reactor for a day or two and let your alk drop down to around 8 - 9 dKH and see if your precipitation still occurs. Make sure you reactor is dripping the kalk water. You may need to adjust your reactor so that it maintains the 8 dKH and does not climb back up again.

Sorry, not a kalk reactor, a Ca reactor. I am going to try to get my alk down, but typically it has been closer to 8 dkH as per Zeo instructions. I've kinda let it slide a bit lately, due to lack of interest
I almost want to build a new tank, and transfer the corals over, then smash this one -lol

Unread 07/02/2010, 04:46 PM   #11
kcooley
Registered Member

what is your average temps?

kcooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/02/2010, 05:01 PM   #12
Aquattro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcooley View Post
what is your average temps?
Probably sit at 80 by the end of the day, I try for 79.