Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/24/2017, 11:30 AM   #1
Ryan98720
Registered Member

Question 10 Gallon Nano Tank

So this past summer I really started to get into the idea of starting a saltwater tank; however, it wasn't the best timing considering that I was about to start college and would be living in a dorm for the next year! So I decided I would just wait! Now I have the itch again! I will have to wait to start the tank until the summer, but i want to get some ideas and start researching now! So heres what I have/ what Im thinking about getting!

10 Gallon Glass Tank
Aquaclear 50 HOB filter
Live Sand
Maybe live Rock?
100 watt heater
Koralia Nano 240 circulation pump

I am unsure on lighting! I have a normal hood like comes with most aquarium kits. Is there any type of bulb that I could use, or should i invest in a led light? I dont think i will get into any kind of crazy corals or anything since this is my first tank, so basic lighting would probably work! Ultimately I would like to have a clownfish or two in the tank, so the coral i was thinking about was something like a hammer or torch coral. Something that mimicked an anemone without the hassle of an actual anemone. And maybe a couple beginner corals! I like the movement of xenia and the color of zoas! I f you have any recommendations please let me know!

I know that a 10 gallon is not an easy beginner tank, and requires a lot of work, but right now, being in college, its really all that I can afford! And I figure that sometimes you have to work hard for the things you want in life and i really want a sw tank!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this! I look forward to hearing all the great suggestions, recommendations, and tips that you are willing to offer!
-Ryan

Ryan98720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2017, 11:44 AM   #2
aadams22
Registered Member

I had the exact same goal when I was in college. Just a simple saltwater tank for a pair of clownfish and nothing else.

On the plus side:
Water changes were somewhat frequent but lightweight and EASY

No corals meant a lot less money invested and more room for error in tank parameters

The negative:
Most if not all clowns have "big" personalities and unless they are tied to an anemone (which would be very difficult in 10 gallons) they just seemed cramped in there after a few months. I wound up getting a 30 gallon in the end and they seem happier now

So I won't be a nay sayer because I did it myself, but if I were to do it again I would have focused a lot more on rocks and inverts and maybe just one fish for only a 10.

Good luck!

aadams22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2017, 11:45 AM   #3
xxmindgamesxx
Registered Member

One huge mistake i made when i started my 8 gal tank was being impatient. Patience will pay off. About the lighting you can check some cheap but good ones on ebay. I dont live in the us so i bought a 40$ led blue and white light that is more than enough for my tank.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

xxmindgamesxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2017, 12:15 PM   #4
BigBearMD
Registered Member

Check out CoralFish12g on YouTube. He did exactly what you are talking about and gave some great pointers for the nano tank.

I think a 100w heater is way overkill.

I would highly recommend an ATO. Even a little evaporation on 10g could make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigBearMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2017, 12:21 PM   #5
BigBearMD
Registered Member

Here's his set up video.

https://youtu.be/XCh4ucNfmAs

Unread 01/25/2017, 11:04 PM   #6
dmw913
Registered Member

Congrats on planning a 10g setup. Nanos are the best! If you'd like to follow along, I just posted a new 10g build thread. You may get some ideas along the way. Lots of folks have great build threads here. Reviewing them gives a great perspective on the vast spectrum of options as well as the invaluable what works and what has failed. The other suggestion for builds on a budget is to watch the dry goods for sale thread. Lots of good stuff there at good prices.

Best of luck!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2621068

Unread 01/26/2017, 01:38 AM   #7
mjstech
Registered Member

I would say add a surface skimmer that hooks up to your aquaclear. They are $10ish online. And maybe a small air driven skimmer. I am a fan of having a skimmer on any SW tank big and small I have had. Some say just do water changes since it's only a 10g minus sand/live rock volume. Just keep an eye on water parameters and top offs. There is cheap lighting (China stuff) that would work for your basic starter corals. 24" odyysea t5 may be a good option.

Current Tank Info: 29 Gallon glass - started 5/23/16

Last edited by mjstech; 01/26/2017 at 01:44 AM.
mjstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/26/2017, 02:51 PM   #8
Ryan98720
Registered Member

@aadams22- Thanks! So do you think that having one clown in a 10g would be alright! The reason i want a clown is because I want the tank to look alive and be obvious that there is fish in it and not just look like a bowl of water. Does that make sense? Im not trying to put anyone down or anything! I just think that clowns have the personality to make that happen? Is this the worng way to think?

@xxmindgamesxx I have definitely heard that patients definitely pays off in this hobby and that generally the only things that happen quickly in a tank are bad things. I will look into some lights on Ebay! Thanks for the suggestion! The only problem is that i dont know what kind of lights that are cheap would be enough for what i want to accomplish with this tank!

@BigBearMD I love Coralfish12g's videos and have been subscribed to his channel for a while now! have heard that an ATO is good for a small tank bc of how little water is in the tank it is easy for the slightest bit of evaporation to throw off parameters quickly! I will look into getting an ATO! They arent that expensive are they?

@dmw913 Thank you for the link! I will check it often to see yours and others progress and suggestions on the tank! Good luck with your setup!

@mjstech Wow thats pretty cheap! If you think it really helps then i will add that to the list! I will keep the protein skimmer on the back burner for now. Thanks for the advice though! I may decide to purchase one later once i recuperate the cost of the initial essentials for the setup! And I looked into those lights and they look pretty good, and they're a lot cheaper than some of the other alternatives!

Again thank you all for the recommendations, tips, and suggestions! I really appreciate it! Keep them coming!

Unread 01/26/2017, 02:55 PM   #9
Ryan98720
Registered Member

This is sort of how i would love my tank to ultimately look! I love the movement in this tank! So if that helps with any suggestions you may have for me that would be awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O45VtBgGM44

Unread 01/26/2017, 03:11 PM   #10
BigBearMD
Registered Member

I put the Smart Micro ATO on my biocube and have been very happy with it. I went with it because I liked the optical sensor rather than the mechanical.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/smart-...fNqBoCejfw_wcB

Tags
10 gallon nano, beginner advice, beginner aquarium, nano 10 gallon, new build