Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/20/2018, 01:39 PM   #1
malx
Registered Member

Reverse bulkheads?

Hi, Everyone.

So I'm working on a DIY Sump Build. When doing bulkheads, the general consensus is that the flange side goes on the inside of the tank (since that's the nicer looking side) and the washer needs to go inside the tank as well this way the water does not creep through the little screw pathways and leak out. For my sump build, I need to actually have the flange reversed and have that outside the container with the screw side in. I'd put the washer on the outside so that the water does not sneak under the screw again and out through the flange. Anyone ever do this? Anyone have issues?

Let me know,
Joey

malx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 01:53 PM   #2
nereefpat
Registered Member

Gaskets always go on the wet side.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 01:56 PM   #3
homer1475
Registered Member

I did this same thing with my ATS. Just totally reverse the bulkhead(flange and gasket on the dry side), working fine for me, but of course it's not under very much pressure either.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 03:37 PM   #4
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
Gaskets always go on the wet side.
No.. Gasket always goes under the flange.

Water can/will travel up the threads and the gasket will not stop it..

Unread 03/20/2018, 03:52 PM   #5
nereefpat
Registered Member

That makes sense.

It just goes against my nature to put a gasket on the outside of a container. Before I knew better, I poorly setup a sump once with the flange on the outside and the gasket and threads on the inside. I dealt with the thread leaking issue with lots of Teflon tape (like I said...poor design).

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
Unread 03/20/2018, 03:53 PM   #6
mcgyvr
Registered Member

And teflon tape is for metallic(metal) threaded connections only and should never be used on PVC or any other plastic threaded fitting
Instead you use a non-hardening thread sealant specifically intended for PVC or whatever plastic it is.. nylon/abs,etc....

Unread 03/20/2018, 04:00 PM   #7
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
And teflon tape is for metallic(metal) threaded connections only and should never be used on PVC or any other plastic threaded fitting
Instead you use a non-hardening thread sealant specifically intended for PVC or whatever plastic it is.. nylon/abs,etc....
Agreed. Like I said, before I knew better.

I don't know if the paste would have stayed put underwater in that case. The tape stopped the leaking through the threads...But again, it was a poor design.

Unread 03/20/2018, 04:14 PM   #8
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
What happens if you use Teflon tape? I have a few connections with it on my main display. It's been 2 years don't know of any issues yet.

Unread 03/20/2018, 04:15 PM   #9
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
I did this same thing with my ATS. Just totally reverse the bulkhead(flange and gasket on the dry side), working fine for me, but of course it's not under very much pressure either.
Thanks! This won't be under pressure either. I'm using two garbage cans as a sump and need the water to travel from one to the other, it will just trickle over through the 2" PVC hole/pipe.

Unread 03/20/2018, 04:17 PM   #10
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
This is what I use on my threaded connections. https://www.amazon.com/Mill-Rose-708..._&dpSrc=detail

It's not Teflon, it's PTFE tape.

Unread 03/20/2018, 04:53 PM   #11
windlasher
Registered Member

Quote:
No.. Gasket always goes under the flange.

Water can/will travel up the threads and the gasket will not stop it..
THIS - Under the flange no matter which way you put it.

windlasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 05:02 PM   #12
windlasher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malx View Post
What happens if you use Teflon tape? I have a few connections with it on my main display. It's been 2 years don't know of any issues yet.
NOTHING: We just went through this.

In short, the reason you don't use Teflon tape on PVC is that it doesn't need it. It's essentially a filler and a lubricant, and most people tend to over tighten it and THAT'S what causes leaks. That and people wrapping the hell out of it and then forcing the screw fitting down which is why it may leak. A few turns will do, i.e, just enough to cover the threads. All it needs is the "filler" part to stop leaks so as long as you don't over tighten it, you will be fine and it will stop leaks.

There are more reefers out there using Teflon tape than not. Yes the non-hardening filler works well, but so does Teflon tape when used correctly

Unread 03/20/2018, 05:04 PM   #13
nereefpat
Registered Member

PTFE and Teflon are the same thing.

PVC fitting threads are tapered, so they don't need it. And the tape can actually cause you to over tighten, cracking the fitting.

Unread 03/20/2018, 05:06 PM   #14
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malx View Post

It's not Teflon, it's PTFE tape.
Teflon is just one of the brand names of Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE)..
PTFE = Teflon

Teflon decreases friction can can lead to overtightening of the joint thus causing failure..
Its been used by many people incorrectly for years and many times it doesn't cause any problems and many..many times it does..

Here is an article written by one of the largest manufacturers of PVC fittings..
http://www.lascofittings.com/threads

Unread 03/20/2018, 05:14 PM   #15
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
Teflon is just one of the brand names of Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE)..
PTFE = Teflon

Teflon decreases friction can can lead to overtightening of the joint thus causing failure..
Its been used by many people incorrectly for years and many times it doesn't cause any problems and many..many times it does..

Here is an article written by one of the largest manufacturers of PVC fittings..
http://www.lascofittings.com/threads
Thanks. I most certainly don't overtighten my joints, I know that could be bad. I am going to use a very small amount of tape with this new build just because that's what I've always done and I don't want to run any risk of leaking. I did just use one layer on my fittings for my main display and no leaks after two years.

Unread 03/20/2018, 10:37 PM   #16
windlasher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
PTFE and Teflon are the same thing.

PVC fitting threads are tapered, so they don't need it. And the tape can actually cause you to over tighten, cracking the fitting.
I thought that's what I said but ok. Use it. Don't use too much and don't over tighten. You will be fine.

Unread 03/21/2018, 04:36 AM   #17
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windlasher View Post
I thought that's what I said but ok. Use it. Don't use too much and don't over tighten. You will be fine.
There was only 2 minutes between your post and theirs so I'm quite positive they didn't even see your response.. and nothing wrong with having multiple matching responses..
To me thats the only way I accept any data from the internet.. Never trust a single source..

Unread 03/21/2018, 04:47 AM   #18
homer1475
Registered Member

All this bickering back and forth about teflon or PTFE tape(FYI they are the same thing), you think someone could actually answer the ops question?

Not a single post in this thread answers the OP's question. He didn't ask where the gasket went or whether to use tape or paste, or what the difference between the 2 is. His specific question was whether he could flip a bulkhead so the flange was on the dry side.

One would think that somewhere in 18 posts someone could have answered the original question.Yes I understand this is a DISCUSSION board, but one would think the original question would get answered.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 06:04 AM   #19
mcgyvr
Registered Member

You already addressed his question in your post #3..
So the question was answered by at least one person.. And as you said.. This is a discussion board so discussions occurred...

Obviously you can mount it whichever way you want..
Its just 2 pieces of plastic..
As long as you put the gasket on the correct side all will be just fine..

Unread 03/21/2018, 06:12 AM   #20
windlasher
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
All this bickering back and forth about teflon or PTFE tape(FYI they are the same thing), you think someone could actually answer the ops question?

Not a single post in this thread answers the OP's question. He didn't ask where the gasket went or whether to use tape or paste, or what the difference between the 2 is. His specific question was whether he could flip a bulkhead so the flange was on the dry side.

One would think that somewhere in 18 posts someone could have answered the original question.Yes I understand this is a DISCUSSION board, but one would think the original question would get answered.
By my read... several people answered his first question and then several people answered his second question followed by his third which was about Tape. Who's bickering? We are discussing various takes on plumbing.

Unread 03/21/2018, 07:26 AM   #21
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windlasher View Post

Quote:
There was only 2 minutes between your post and theirs so I'm quite positive they didn't even see your response.. and nothing wrong with having multiple matching responses..
To me thats the only way I accept any data from the internet.. Never trust a single source..
Yep. Windlasher is a faster typer than I.

Unread 03/29/2018, 12:11 PM   #22
malx
Registered Member

Wow lots of debate here. I think I found a non hardening thread sealent. Will this work? How do I know if it’s reef safe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 03/29/2018, 12:15 PM   #23
mcgyvr
Registered Member

yep.. Thats fine to use..

Unread 03/29/2018, 01:05 PM   #24
malx
Registered Member

Quote:
yep.. Thats fine to use..
Sweet! I didn't think I would have time to find some but I ended up finding it at this hardware store near me called McFadden-Dale. Weird name, but they have lots of cool stuff!

Unread 03/29/2018, 05:07 PM   #25
mcgyvr
Registered Member

Just wanted to post this here..
Perfect example what happens when you use teflon tape/overtighten a joint..
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2672229